Alice in Wonderland (1951)

So many people rank this high on their Disney films list, and I want to know why. I watched it, and the only thing that made it worth my time was the scene with the owl that is just a pair of glasses and the dog with the broom bristles for a muzzle and a tail that swept the road away.

It even cuts out Humpety-Dumpety and ignores the Looking-Glass section of the book.

The book was hilarious and so much fun to read. This movie was boring with one worthwhile scene. Yet so many people love it. Why?

I do like the door, I’ll admit that. Aand the Cheshire cat is cool, but his scenes are too short for such an awesome character…and the only other cool thing I can come up with is where the cards are painting the roses red…

Try watching it again, but this time do it while stoned out of your mind.

Wha-wha-wha…wait a minute! You were bored?

Alright, to explain precisely why I think Alice in Wonderland is good I would have to take a while to think it over, because I can’t just tell you right now. It’s my favorite Disney film from Walt’s age, but I guess it doesn’t click with everyone. Try watching it synched with Pink Floyd’s The Wall; that’s always fun for me.

Yes, the Cheshire Cat is one of the coolest movie characters of all time.

If that first part was targeted at me, I was kidding. 8D Its not my favorite, but its pretty fun. I think the story isn’t the best, but the craziness and fun animation make up for it in my opinion. And the Cheshire cat creeps me out, especially when I think about the fact that he has the same voice as Winnie the Pooh, its the same thing with Kaa in Jungle Book. Its just so surreal to hear these creepy characters talk with these creepy voices, and realize the same voice comes out of Pooh Bear.

Alice in Wonderland kinda freaks me out a little bit, truth be told. It makes me feel empty, weirdly, and lost like her, which I guess is it’s job, but I didn’t like that feeling. I hate it when she starts crying at the end too, because then I want to cry because I feel so lost! It’s not like a TS3 cry, it’s different. I do love the part with the Walrus though :slight_smile:

I’ve been wanting to try that for ages. :laughing:

Alice in Wonderland is a hard one to put your finger on, either it’s a big hit or a total miss, few people go inbetween with their opinion of it. I’d say it’s a pleasant sensation, the trippy combination of the colorful visuals and old-timey music just feels nice.

My whole early childhood was around Disney films, so Walt’s version of Alice in Wonderland was always the one I remember most fondly, a lot more than Tim Burton’s remake (I could never comprehend seeing his version of the Mad Hatter wielding a sword like some action hero in the previews as opposed to messing around with the White Rabbit’s watch). Actually out of all of Walt’s animated features, this one always seemed to hold out for me the most. I guess my reason was because I thought it played out as being so cartoony and absurd, and I was really into that kind of nonsensical stuff with cartoons. It was defiantly for that same reason that I loved Aladdin so much as well.

And did anyone ever get a kick out of seeing the Mad Hatter in Bonkers and how he lived inside the Hollywood sign?

I like Alice in Wonderland. Both Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are some of my favorite books. I like Disney’s movie as well.

This movie is very…interesting! People who say it’s Disney’s ‘acid trip movie’ have never seen the Three Caballeros! 8D

I think I wasn’t crazy about this movie when I was a kid. I haven’t seen it in like, 10 years. But, then, I only liked the ones about princesses and big muscle men, so the fact that I didn’t love this one when I was 5 carries no weight. I’ll rewatch it someday.

I can’t believe you don’t like Alice in Wonderland. I mean, that’s like a sin! It’s also my favorite Disney film that Walt did. You shouldn’t judge a movie’s awesomeness just from the parts from the book it couldn’t fit in. I don’t think there’s a single book-movie out there that’s exactly like the book. That’s part of the reason, I think, that book movies are good. You can have slightly alternate versions and you can decide which you like better. I think the reason it’s such a classic is because it takes place in an entirely different world. Lewis Carroll, whether he was on drugs or not (I’m almost sure he was) was a brilliant author and was such an expert at creating something entirely different. Basically, I think people watch AiW so much is so they can leave their worries behind, and just escape completely. Also, have you seen the new 2010 version? It was sort of a sequel, but it was more to the original books.

Honestly, I’m not too crazy about it. I’ve seen it couple times and its okay I guess, but I wouldnt set aside time out of my day to watch it. I guess I thought it was a little too silly. Not that I dont like silly things, but i dunno, it’s hard to explain. It just doesnt grab me. I do like the Un-birthday scene

Same here, The March Hare is my favorite character.

This was really enjoyable! It took me two times to really like it, but I’m glad that I do.

I like it. But I think Alice herself are what I like. Parts of the movie seem slow to me.

True. The first time I just thought it was too odd, but the second time I was fine with it. It’s charming, but I think Alice is also my favorite part about it. And I get a few random laughs out of the Queen of Hearts, but it’s not like she was a favorite of mine.

This is probably a terrible reason. But besides her personality, I hate the queen because she looks like Fred Flintstone. I just think she’s so ugly and manish. Other than Alice, I also like the cheshire cat and the caterpillar.

That is a common thing to think when watching films from that time period.

I tried so hard not to be bored! It’s just so easy for your mind to wonder during certain scenes.

I defintely understand what you mean. The subject matter itself is anything BUT boring, but I think the film’s pacing can get very slow.

I agree. People call the movie an acid trip; obviously they haven’t read the book. LOL 8D