Home on the Range

Amy43’s ‘Rescuers’ thread inspired me to start a thread about one of my favorite underrated Disney films: HOME ON THE RANGE. This film has gotten a bad rap ever since it came out and I’ve never been able to figure out why. It’s not only the studio’s first Western, but it’s one of the few Disney films that doesn’t play the ‘cuteness’ card if at all. Everything about it is edgy; the dialogue, the animation style, the storyline. Plus, the score is easily Alan Menken’s best Disney score. Anyway, I think the film is delightful; what do you guys think? Even if you think it’s terrible, share your opinions; maybe I’m missing something.

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen this movie, but I really enjoyed it. Wesley was pretty cool, and he was played by Steve Buscemi! :smiley:

Well, it’s one of my lowest rated Disney canon films, but I think there are some good qualities about it. The color palette is fun and charming, and I enjoy Steve Buscemi’s brief cameo. I can understand where the humor is coming from… It’s definitely edgier, in-your-face, and sillier; at times I’m reminded of cartoons from the mid-twentieth century, and for that I’ll forgive Disney of the largely unsuccessful humor. I remember saying this very recently on PP, but the major flaw I found in the film was the protagonist voiced by Roseanne Barr. I don’t dislike Roseanne, but I feel that she polarizes viewers, because if you don’t appreciate her cheesy jokes and snarky attitude, it’s hard to like the film as a whole.

But anyway, while I’m criticizing it and, again, rank it lowly among Disney’s animated movies, I can understand why some people would find it underrated. It definitely has to be one’s cup of tea. But I do find some of the characters quite cute, and I actually like the simplistic visuals! Honestly, I would say my current “cartoon” drawing style and usage of colors are comparable to Home on the Range, so I definitely have difficulty criticizing it in that area.

Weird, now I want to watch it! :stuck_out_tongue:

To be honest…I kinda…well, quite dislike it.

It was loud, obnoxious and missed everything that made other “non-formula” Disney movies like Emporer’s New Groove work. The characters were annoying, the animation style was lackluster, and the humor just wasn’t all that funny to me. Now, its been a while since I’ve seen it, but I can say that I really didn’t like it as a kid and doubt I’d like it now.

I really think this film had quite an impact on hand drawn animation. I mean, we really haven’t seen that many films have 2D animation in them. I haven’t seen Home on the Range yet but I hear it’s one of Disney’s weakest.

I haven’t seen this in a while. But I remember it being boring and lame. I think this was the bad movie streak Dsiney had intill Princess and the Frog. Maybe I’ll watch it again one day, it’s possible my opinion will change.

I dont like this movie. Roseanne Barr is so annoying, she kind of ruined any chance of me liking this movie.

I completely agree with what you said about Rosanne Barr. She’s just as annoying as Fran Dreschler.

Yes!! She ruins every movie she’s in for me.

What if they made an Home of the Range 2?

Home On the Range is passable Disney-by-the-numbers, nothing special, worthwhile mostly for its technical aspects–especially character design and backgrounds. The story could have used more work, which might be a function of a schedule-change rush. The climax is rather improbable with regard to timing/geography/mechanics.

Although HOTR is more enjoyable than the awful Madagascar movie, it suffers from the same fundamental flaw–when animals and humans mix, there should be clear rules about animals’ human capabilities. For example, why can animals read newspapers but humans can only hear cows moooooo instead of speaking with various affectations? And how is it that animals are stymied by simple devices like ropes but have the necessary skills to operate complex machinery? Maybe because hooves aren’t opposable thumbs? Inquiring minds want to know!

That would be the absolute worst Disney movie ever. 8D

They should release it in theaters if it gets made. I dare them!

8D Watch them do that.

“Home on the Range 2. “The best movie of the year!”- New York Times.” Coming Summer 2014."

This isn’t my favorite Disney movie by far. Not even in my top.

But I dno’t think it’s AS bad as everyone makes it out to be. It has interesting animation, good songs, and Lucky Jack was cool. And Steve Buscemi was in it! So it has it’s perks.

Story wise, it’s not great. But I think it’s better than most people give it credit for.

I wonder what Doug will say about this movie.

Hmm, I wonder that also. I’ve agreed with every one of his reviews I’ve seen so far. I found his reviews for many of the renaissance films so far spot on.

Their was some Disney movies I don’t care for that he likes. He make like this one, he may not.

I’ve only seen about ten of them, but I agree so far. 8D