Was Finding Nemo originally designed in 3D?

This is what the official press announcement for the Blu-ray 3D states:

This is the first time I ever heard about it. Sounds suspicious. Maybe some sort of a mix-up in the PR department or does anybody have any further information?

remember toy story and toy story 2 3D double feature pixar went back and re-rendered the files in 3D and for Blu-ray

I know that Toy Story 1 and 2 were re-rendered in 3D, but Lasseter said that “‘Finding Nemo’ was originally shot in 3D”.

all CG movies are 3D by nature but it was rendered in 2D

Unless it was ‘shot’ in a completely different way to CGI movies are done today this is complete bogus, because Monsters Vs. Aliens was the first CG film to have physically had the second ‘camera’ rendering the scene along with the first one.

That’s likely what he meant.

Thats what I was thinking too. Because back in 2002/2003 I dont think shooting a movie in 3D (at least, the way that it means now) was really in anyone’s mind at the time.

Well, I think that Finding Nemo is the best 3D film I’ve ever seen, or at least from Pixar! I think it’s a little easier to notice Pixar’s 3D with a re-release because if you’ve memorized the movie inside your brain like me, you know what to expect. Therefore, it’s easier to appreciate the 3D aspect of the movie you’ve already seen before in a new way. With Up, Toy Story 3, Cars 2, and Brave, I think it’s a little harder to notice or appreciate it because when you first watch it, you don’t know exactly what to expect and can’t pay too much attention to the 3D so you’re not removed from the story. However, it is easier to look for the 3D for any of those films if you’ve already seen it at least once and want to see where 3D impacts it the most. Somehow, though, Disney was able to enhance the story and 3D with Bolt and Tangled the first time around to me, but to each studio their own, I guess. I was only able to do that with Finding Nemo for Pixar, but they still have good 3D. Anyway, I loved it in 3D!

Finding Nemo was NOT “originally designed for stereoscopic viewing.” The first Pixar film to be designed for stereoscopic viewing was “Up” and every film after. The films prior to that were apparently upgraded.

I don’t know if Nemo was designed for 3D, but I always thought Wall-E would of made for a great IMAX 3D experience.

I do recall reading that Knick Knack, the short Finding Nemo was paired with, was designed for 3-D.