Character Relations

Okay, I’ve had the idea to make a thread about this for a while now, but I haven’t put it up. I wonder why. . .

Anywho, this is a thread for Cars characters that for some odd reason you think should be related. I mean, I’ve seen many ideas. But I’m not gonna say all of them. That would be pointless. I want to hear what you think.

I can’t just stop there without stating my character relation idea. It seems to be a bit more popular. Then again, I’m so obsessed over it that I don’t know the amount of people who agree with the other ideas. I think that somehow Lightning and Doc are a father and son, but they had no clue during the movie. (If you’ve read my fanfic on here, The Real World, you could have seen that one coming.) I just think they’d make a great father and son! I think my original reasoning behind it was that they are both blue-eyed racers. Then again, I was 11 at the time. But now that idea has expanded so far that in normal coversation about Lightning and Doc, I often say something like, “Lightning didn’t realize his dad was a famous racer” when talking about the movie to people who don’t know my theory. I usually catch myself and say something like “Oh, about that, I think that Lightning and Doc are related. Should have told you that before hand.”

Well, now it’s your turn. I’d like to hear what you think about some character relations. You can also tell me what you think about my Lightning and Doc one. So far, people really like it, but I wonder if it’s a good one or not. And I wonder if it’s Pixar worthy. Just imagine if that were true. Boy, I’d jump out of my seat, jump up and down, and scream “I was right! They are related! I was right!” I’m a dork.

That’s quite an interesting relation. I hadn’t really thought about the two of them being related in that way, but it does sort of work, especially considering how Doc treated Lightning, almost like a disapproving father, and Lightning reacted by being a bit of a stroppy teenager. I’m not sure how likely it is that they really are related, especially since mentioning that sort of thing would mean that the whole mechanics of the Cars world would have to be explained, but in terms of their characters and personalities, it is plausible.

For some reason, I always liked the idea of Mater and Sally being brother and sister. Okay, that is a bit wrong considering some of the remarks Mater says in the film, but I get the feeling that she is very fond of him and looks out for him in a sort of older sister-ish way.

Interesting thread, LightningAndDoc!

Yeah, it does kinda interfere with the whole idea of how Cars are made. But like you said, it’s understandable. Like I said below, I was 11. At that point, the biggest thing about the Cars world to me was how do they play an instrument? I’m kinda a music freak so there ya go. I like your little analogy about Doc being the disapproving father and Lightning being the stoppy teenager. I lol’ed on that one.

Mater and Sally being brother and sister. Ya know, never saw that one before. I do know what you mean certain situations don’t fit right, but it is a little see-able. Besides, some of those remarks were mainly to tease Lightning. :slight_smile:

Thanks about the comment of the thread. I really wanted to start this for I’ve jus seen so many ideas that I wanted to know about all of yours. And to see if my idea is really that good. I can’t wait for more of people’s ideas.

Interesting postulate, LightningandDoc. We never really got to know Lightning’s parentage, something they will have to reveal if Lightning and Sally ever got married. I can imagine a Darth Vader moment there… :laughing:

As for lizardgirl’s hypothesis of Mater and Sally being brother and sister, I don’t think that’s possible since they’re too far apart in terms of model or ‘social status’ (like if they were both Porsches or tow trucks, then it’s plausible) I actually thought of them as exes, or a previous couple, before Lightning arrived. Or maybe secret admirers that were too shy to reveal their true feelings for each other (like how Mater keeps referring to her politely as “Miss Sally” and how she reciprocates his greeting in the court room, or how he offered her to cruise in the “Sh-Boom” scene). There was an excellent fanfic I read once where Lightning cheats on Sally by stealing a kiss from one of the Miatas, and Sally in a moment of rage gets back at him by kissing Mater in front of everyone. But then she realises that Mater was the one for her all along, and yada yada yada… :slight_smile: Their on-off relationship is something I’d like to explore if I ever get the 24 crossover up and running again.

I also like FIlmore and Sarge’s ‘odd couple’ relationship. I’m pretty sure they weren’t implying anything more than them being bickering neighbours, and I like to leave it at that.

I’m also wondering about Luigi and Guido’s connection… are they work colleagues, with Guido being Luigi’s assistant? Or is Guido Luigi’s nephew (as some fanfics claim?). Their relationship was never really explained in the movie…

I remember that fanfic. I prefer Lightning/Sally than Mater/Sally myself though.

I have a book that tells how Luigi and Guido came to Radiator Springs from Italy (it is the Pixar team’s ideas!) and they met on the ship ride there. So they can’t be related. But I understand how people can think that. It would make sense.

A Darth Vader moment. LOL! Won’t be the first time Pixar’s done something like that. Remember Zurg and the deluded Buzz in Toy Story 2? Man, I crack up every time I see that scene! First Buzz is all “NOOOOO!” and then when Zurg falls of the edge Buzz is like “Father!” LOL! Hm. . . Maybe since I used to be a heee-uuuge Toy Story fan, maybe my subconscience thought up of my idea that way. Hm. . .

I don’t know all who’s read it on here, but I do have a fanfic on here called The Real World. It deals with the Lightning and Doc father/son thing. It’s how I picture what would happen. Not everyone will probably agree, but hey, everyone’s got their own opinion.

Anyone else got any ideas? I’d love to hear them!