If You Could Change One Thing...

Put yourself in the director’s chair! If you were in charge and could change one thing about Disney Pixar Cars what would it be? (Note: this topic only portends to the first movie) Shoot some ideas and be creative! Also, please be considerate and don’t put down the ideas of others. So, what do you think? :slight_smile:

I’ve always seen this film flawless despite of critics and haters reviews, but if I had to change something that would be the scenes in which Mcqueen imagines himself as a Dinoco race car, I mean, I would make it shorter, I also include the Rusteeze commercial and the Chick Hicks Dinoco dream too, those footage sequences slow down the rythm of the film (imo), specially the first one that I mentioned

I probably wouldn’t change it, given the outlandish premise and the relatively simple storyline, I think PIXAR pulled it off as best they could.

That being said, if I were the director of Cars 2, I would want Sally to have a much more leading role rather than become like the Bo Peep of Toy Story 2. She was always a really strong female character and I would’ve liked to see her more in the spy film- possibly helping out Holly.

I like both these ideas! I too see Cars as a flawless film. I agree with the comment about the Dinoco scenes. I think the one with McQueen is alright but I would cut the one with Chick, not very important I feel. Also, I VERY much agree with the Sally comment. She played an amazing role in the first film but is being pushed away in the sequel it seems. Have they forgotten that without her role McQueen wouldn’t have even stayed in the town?! It’s a shame that such a great character is losing so much film time.

It’s ridiculous if you ask me…I don’t understand why she can’t have as much screentime as some of the other characters…it baffles me :confused: …Getting back on topic what I would change is the end of the movie(If you know me you know what I’m talking about)seriously a movie with a love story is not as good without a kiss… ;-p I would also cut that Chick part out too,and kinda the character of Mater…other than that the movie is pretty good to me… :smiley:

I can’t think of anything to change, I like the movie as it is.

The thing I feel about Sally vs Bo Peep, and I know a lot of Bo fans will hate me for saying this, is that I felt Sally was a much more three dimensional character. As Lee Unkrich even admitted, the breaking point they decided not to bring her back was when they couldn’t find anything Andy could say about her as opposed to “She’s a lamp”. She was very supportive of Woody but outside of that she wasn’t completely fleshed out. Not to mention how completely fragile she is, which is why they couldn’t really include her in Toy Story 2.

Sally, on the other hand, is much different. Not only was her character one of the strongest in the original film, but her back story and dedication to rebuilding Radiator Springs was also one of the main driving forces of the entire film. I know PIXAR will probably have a good reason not to include her in the World Tour but really by deciding not include her with the rest of the Cars gang, it feels like they said “she’s not an important enough character to have in the sequel” which is absurd. It’d be like if they made a WALL-E 2 with only WALL-E and M-O while EVE stayed behind to guard WALL-E’s truck.

Thank you! I am SO happy someone out there agrees with me! The last two comments are both so true. To me this is how I saw the characters; McQueen as the main character obviously and then Sally, Mater and Doc as the secondary characters. One could argue that Chick may also be considered a secondary character but honestly…it feels like they cut Sally’s screen-time in half and gave it all to Mater. She played a major role, you can’t just pretend like she is only as important as Flo or Ramone because she’s not. And that’s not including the fact that she plays McQueen’s love interest. Back on topic…I must say I agree with CarsLuver, I was waiting for somebody to say that. Only thing I would change…McQueen and Sally would kiss at the end. :mrgreen: <3 :-* LOL too many smilies!

I agree with Pixar Builder that Sally was much more realistic than Bo. Bo was really only there to be Woody’s girl anyway.

Well, I really love Cars, even if it’s not the “best”. I wouldn’t change anything.

I would take out extraneous characters that don’t get a pay-off or serve a purpose(Lizzie, Sarge, Fillmore, etc.)

^That’s a curious thought, I never considered taking out characters. I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that I would take out though (only if I had to, I wouldn’t choose to). Maybe Van and Minny? o_0

Well they’re important in a sense. They really bring home the point that the citizens of Radiator Springs are desperate for any attention.

Yes, I agree. I’m only saying if I HAD to pick someone to get rid of it would be them. I think every character is important in one way or another. I don’t agree with getting rid of someone like Lizzy or Filmore like mentioned above though. They are unique individuals who are an important part of the RS population! They are the type of characters that can’t really be replaced.

I would add more exciting things in the middle of the movie, as it was too slow

^ I always thought that’s what the Tractor Tippin’ and Mc Queen’s Trippy Dream sequences were for.

Yeah that was probably the purpose of those scenes. Plus it gives McQueen and Mater a chance to build some friendship. :slight_smile:

Yes, that makes sense. It also shows how Lightning adjusts and enjoys life from the fast lane to the slower lane.

…and it’s just fun to watch. 8D

Yes, this too.

Yeah it is. :slight_smile: I tend to skip the tractor tipping scene sometimes though when I’m just sitting down to watch my favourite parts. The dream sequences don’t bother me at all though, they give a good glimpse into what ‘living the good life’ looks like in the cars world. I like when it shows him putting his tire prints in the cement, that’s really cool! :stuck_out_tongue: