Character Discussion: Otis

I’ve been thinking a lot about Otis, the ‘town lemon’ from Cars 2. By no means a main character, he establishes very early on the idea of certain cars being ‘lemons’ (IIRC, this was an idea by Nancy Lasseter to help younger children understand that concept). Also, Jeff Garlin (who’s slowly becoming the new John Ratzenberger) turns in a fabulous vocal performance, as always. But what I love most of all about Otis is that he’s both unapologetic and accepting about being a lemon, which makes him all the more endearing. Who else loves Otis?

Wasn’t a main character, but if a Cars 3 is ever made and he is in it, hopefully more of his character is shown to us viewers.

I thought that too!

I like how Otis doesn’t really mind that Mater is being incredibly annoying while Otis is being towed.

Well, as the saying goes, “You don’t bite the hand that feeds you” (you can Cars-ify that any way you want to).

I love Otis! I think he’s quite a fun character, it must be hard being a Lemon at times though.

I always wondered how long he has been the town’s lemon for.

Good question^^.

For some reason i think he probably broke down in radiator springs just after cars , and decided to stay in town.

Oh, I love Otis! He’s such a sweet, easygoing guy… I love that he’s OK with who he is in contrast to all the “bad guy” Lemons. I’m glad they added him to make sure that they weren’t trying to say that all lemons are Evil Lemons. And besides… until I saw Cars 2 I knew next to nothing about “history’s biggest loser cars”! And I love his Jeff Garlin voice; I recognized the voice almost immediately when I was watching it the first time and on the inside I screamed “It’s Jeff Garlin!!!” XD And Otis is just an overall fun character. I want to buy a diecast model of him as soon as he’s released!

Obsessed, me too! I need Mater to tow him around my layout!