I've never seen this movie!

I’m thinking about renting it off Netflix but it has bad reviews on it. But good reviews from my friends. Is it worth it?

It’s amazing for anyone with an attention span!!

Edited for shouting. – Mitch

It has bad reviews? Just where the heck are you reading reviews from? Cause most every review I have read for it is nothing but praise… With that said, Ratatouille ranks as one of the best Pixar films, and deserves not to just be rented, but owned in your Pixar collection.

Depends on whether the movie appeals to you or not. I’m a foodie, so I loved the movie. There isn’t a Pixar film that isn’t rent/buy-worthy in my opinion. Give it a shot I say.

This movie is amazing and inspirational, one of Pixar’s best movies. Go watch it now.

And with 97% tomato meter in Rotten Tomatoes, it is the most under appreciated movie of 2007. I think, for most of the Pixar movies, that has been the battle. A lot of people tend to see Pixar films merely as “animation”. Can we get past that label? And when it’s duly rightful, people should just see Pixar Films as GREAT MOVIES and not just GREAT ANIMATED MOVIES as if to categorize the films. Pixar has earned it, and proved it 10 times already.

If Beauty and The Beast has been nominated for an Oscar Best Picture award, why not Pixar Films?

Ok, so i sort of strayed. Anyway, see Ratatouille! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

OK thanks.

My parents and my sister don’t like it :laughing: :neutral_face:

Ratatouille is a real tough movie to be enjoyed by the older audience who have been a huge movie fan (not just a Pixar fan, mind you) for many years, IMO. It is excellently made, but one must not forget that there are certain factors that create an illusion of mediocrity (note: These points are in no way a representation of my disdain for the film, but rather, some reasons for people’s cynicism towards the movie)

1. It has a three-part standard structure. Introduce the main characters, put them through some sort of peril, characters escape the peril with a happy ending.

2. Some occurrences look ‘set-up.’ Notice that this is true for every Pixar films (save WALL-e). Certain scenes seem to be utterly optimistic without much realistic elements, making them appear to be seemingly silly. With Ratatouille, it seemed almost too easy for Collette to make her return just because she just happens to ride past a Gusteau cookbook and saw the motto. Basically, it just seems a little bit ‘set-up.’ Do note that, however, I personally support this point, because Ratatouille is suppose to have this kind of style. It’s not suppose to be dramatically emotional, but rather, it’s a lighthearted journey with some good, clean fun along the way.

3. It is ‘cartoon.’ If animated features aren’t as dramatic as how The Prince of Egypt or The Lion King were, don’t expect certain individuals to take them seriously. They’re just grim and cold like that. Kinda like Ego.

4. Animals = hard to relate. This is especially true for some people with a stiff mind. Again, if it isn’t dramatic, if it has a fun, lighthearted tone (unlike Babe which received critical receptions), some people just can’t feel a thing from the furry friend.

That’s all the points I could think of as to why some people just don’t enjoy Ratatouille. I didn’t enjoy it myself the first time I watched it (and that was way before my film-appreciating days). It’s a really good film needed to be enjoyed patiently, while being constantly conscious of its lightheartedness, rather than focusing on the dramatic aspect it is somewhat lacking.

Eh, Dragon, ya big mashugana, lay off the movie. (this is to be taken as a joke. Please don’t flame me)

Last time I watched this movie, I had a smile on my face the entire time. It is a beautifully made film, and I think a 96% on rotten tomatoes.

Let me (literally) underline “inspirational” here.

For me Ratatouille was a real eye-opener, as far as cooking is concerned.

Flaming Rackey for being herself, thus ruining the balance of Pixar Planet forums? I think not. :wink:

Of course it was beautifully made. Never doubted that after I learned Brad was the one who made this film possible. As I said, when I first watched the movie, it was way past the period when I began understanding movies, so, maybe those small amount of individuals are like my older self, too, not yet attaining the knowledge to understand what movies are really like, not to mention the variety in tastes and interests.

To compare Ratatouille to a live action film of a similar style (lack of over-dramatic sequences yet retaining an abstract inner journey the characters go through), see (The Fabulous Life of) Amélie (Poulain). Beautiful, lighthearted, and definitely presents a message to the audience, just as Ratatouille did, yet it, too, didn’t receive overall positive criticism, simply because it was also considered as overly optimistic without that dash of dramatic realism the grim, serious folks were so desperately yearning for.

Oh, and as for inspirational, I did try to mix chocolate with nacho chips after watching Ratatouille the third of fourth time… :stuck_out_tongue: It was… a delicious experience. xD

If you liked Brad Bird’s previous stuff, you’ll love this!

One of the things that make Ratatouille “suggestible” (and I use that in terms of entertainment and viewability), is what also makes it great.
It dared to be different. The story of a rat wanting to be a chef? Who would go see that? Sounds like a children’s book that teaches kids “you can do anything” or something smultzy like that.
But no. In the hands of Pixar, it turned into something different. It dared to be that way. It dared to be questioned by viewers and critics alike for it’s strange and humble origins.
Not sure if anybody’s mentioned this, but take a page from[spoil] Anton Ego’s review. It also can apply to the movie itself. It was new…a different item in it’s category,[/spoil] and daring to be so. And from it sparked creativity, heart, and an enjoyable experience.

Whether or not you appreciate this film depends upon your personal tastes, but, in my personal opinion, I have never seen a more beautiful composition. Nexas pretty much nailed it for me here.

“Digestible”…? :wink:

– Mitch

Think I wouldn’t notice this post did you? 0_- :slight_smile:

It’s a movie that grows on ya. Just like A Bugs Life - I didn’t find it that funny at first, never really watched it, but more recently I’ve grown attached to it and now it’s one of my favourite movies. Give Ratatouille a chance and it’ll grow on you.

P.S. Haha Mitch! Soooooo lame, but funny. :wink:

As much as I do like the movie, I must admit…it is quite a slow burner. Its strengths are in the messages it delivers more than anything for me.

There’s not much that can be said about it that hasn’t already been said. It’s just a great little movie, but you have to give it the time of day in order to fully enjoy it. In my opinion, at least. It’s not really something that I feel you can put on and switch off while you let a little cartoon amuse you for 90 minutes or so.

gasp Go see it! Really good, but that’s my opinion. Even if it has bad reviews and you’re interested, you should still check it out and make your own opinion. It’s my 2nd favorite pixar movie.
And I never heard any bad reviews. Almost all reviews said it was one of the best of the year and shoul be n ominated for best picture. (unfortunaitly it didin’t!)