First Reaction

What was you first reaction when you first heard/saw the trailor for Ratatouille?
I thought: “This looks like a really cheesy (no pun indended) stupid comedy.”
:slight_smile: I’m glad I was wrong!

Well, when I saw the trailer, I was pretty excited. I was also hungry too. BUt boy, I was really surpirsed when I saw the actual film.

I wasn’t into Pixar at the time, so it didn’t really stand out. The trailers made it look really cliche’d and corny. Pretty misleading considering it’s my 2nd favorite. I thought it was gonna be on the level of most Dreamworks films.

I don’t remember what I thought about it, except that me and my sister would crack up about it.

And I could never pronounce the name of it.

I was already going to see The Next Pixar Feature, whatever it was. I had already seen every Pixar feature in the theatre, and had survived the awful Finding Nemo teaser that made Dory look like the Most Annoying Character Ever (she turned out to be wonderful, and taught me never to doubt Pixar).

When Ratatouille was coming: Teaser trailer (Remy & Emile talk about food) - oh, this looks cute. Later trailer where we finally saw Linguini and got a lot more detail about the story - Oh, this is going to be GREAT! (And it was!)

I actually though it was brilliant, if I remember correctly. The idea of a rat who wanted to eat good food sounded genius to me, one of the neatest ideas ever. I actually thought that was what the film was going to be about, I didn’t know about the cooking angle, so when I saw it I liked what I had initially thought it was, better. I think it’s a good film, but I still want to see somehing just about a rat wanting to eat good food.

The very first trailer I saw was the demo trailer with Brad Bird doing the scratch voices. At the time, my parents tried to convince me that I was too old for Pixar movies, so I was nonplussed for any upcoming Pixar movie because I knew I wouldn’t be seeing them until years after they came out (and in the case of Cars, I was right- it took me three years to see that one!)

Actually I too thought it was gonna be kinda lame. I was like, “a movie about rats? Yeeech!” But I was also pleasantly surprised. :slight_smile:

I believe I saw the teaser during my theatrical viewing of Cars and my first reaction was “What the *&$@ is this?” Of course, I thought this to myself, I didn’t really say it out loud. :slight_smile:

I didn’t understand the premise, and I didn’t ‘get’ Remy breaking the fourth wall. But as much as I was scratching my head in confusion, I was indeed intrigued by it (which meant that the teaser did its job).

After I became a fully-fledged Pixar fan after falling in love with Cars, I seeked out whatever info I can about “the next movie”. I remember watching the full-length trailer for the first time on my university campus cradling my laptop in the twillight hours (Yes, I still remember the first time I watched the trailer, it was quite the occasion).

Needless to say, I was wiser about the movie since my first bewildering encounter in the dim theatre hall back in '06. :wink:

I really thought it was going to be amazing. I loved the trailers and the feel of Paris and I thought the characters were pretty cute too. The idea for the story perhaps seemed a bit cliche but still sweet. I was definitely a big Pixar fan at that point and I did think of it as ‘the next big Pixar film’, thinking that it would suit me perhaps a bit more than Cars did.

Unfortunately, after all that build up, I was a bit disappointed after the first viewing and although I went to see it again in the cinema, it never felt the same.

Haha, looks like you and I had totally opposite reactions, lizardgirl! :smiley:

My first reaction was like “this will be so cool because it’s in Paris, I hope they get that typical French feeling just right!”

And they did! :smiley:

First reaction:

Non-related teaser #1: “What? This is absurd. A rat that loves good food?”

Teaser trailer #2: “Cool!”

Trailer: "AWESOME! WAY TO GO BRAD B.!

First Reaction: Trailer included with Cars DVD.
“I mean, it’s SOOO easy to find good food in Paris, it’s just…dangerous.”

I chuckled a bit. I had no internet access at that time (therefore being unable to look up what it was about), so I could only assume the movie was about a super picky rat who would go around all the restaurants, stealing food for his colony, but would only pick really fancy food that the colony would find too sophisticated.

Sounds pretty silly looking back, haha. But it was in Paris, and I love Europe’s architecture, and the first overview of Paris, before zooming into Gustaeu’s (sp?) looked incredible, so I was pleasantly hyped for the movie. Unfortunately it took me three years after that to finally see it, but it was worth it. Probably my 2nd favorite Pixar movie.

When I first saw the teaser, it took me a few minutes to realize what it actually was. Then once Remy started talking I went, “Ohh…! It’s… Ratatouille!” I thought that the character designs were absolutely adorable, and the dialogue had me cracking up. Also, for some reason, I still love the “atmosphere” of the teaser trailer more than the actual movie. Heh.

As for the official trailer: I saw it over a hundred times…

– Mitch

Wow, I’m being serious here, I pretty much had the same thing going for me with Up as Mitch, eerie,…

When I saw the trailers and stuff for Ratatouille, I was like “this movie looks lame” especially with the whole hair thing going on. Looks kinda gimmicky and stupid. Missed the theater run, and one night, my mom made me watch it (this was a bit before Wall•E came out) and I was blown away! I was really amazed with how good it was. Pixar can’t go wrong, I swear, :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahhhhaha, I knooow that feeling! :smiley: Then when you watch it again now, it’s like the memories and excitement you felt while first watching it floods back all at once; making that particular trailer still so full of anticipation and now overwhelming nostalgia… :laughing: When my sister got an iPod for her birthday that April, it was just after the trailer came out, so I downloaded it from Apple and put a whole bunch of stuff on her iPod before she opened it; one of those things being the Ratatouille theatrical trailer. When she first turned on her iPod at the restaurant we ate at that afternoon, I watched her face totally light up when the familiar notes of La Vie en Rose played on the trailer.

Oh, and we even went as far as showing the trailer to our hygenist at the dentist one day; since she had an iPod dock and we’re like “You HAVE to see this trailer!” :laughing: Ahh, good days, good days…

Just thinking about it now, I really want to watch it again…

little chef

I still remember the day I saw the first teaser for the first time as if it was yesterday. No really, I did. And wasn’t Emile Remy’s dad then at that point? My memory escapes me now…

My opinion: I wanted to see that movie SO BADLY. (I’ve always loved rats.)
And when I watched it, I instantly fell in love with the film.
Still one of my favourite Pixar movies, alongside Up and Toy Story.

I loved the very concept of the story from the first time I heard of it.
A rat who wants to become a chef - this is simply genius.

Then came the first teaser, and I was amazed by the animation - finally perfect squash and stretch in 3D.
Not to mention it was drop dead funny.

By the time I had seen that nine minute excerpt from the film, I was absolutely certain that this would become Pixar’s finest.

And here Pixar managed to surpass even my highest of expectations.
I certainly did not expect that much food for thought (pardon the pun) next to all the brilliant comedy, nor a German voice cast that is even better than its brilliant English-language counterpart.
And don’t get me started on Ego’s flashback…

Okay, I laughed through everything!

I laughed through the previews, I laughed through the movie, I laughed through the short, I laughed though the bonus features… so I guess I can say my reaction was… well… laugh out loud hilarious! :laughing: