Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator (WALL•E)

Oh goodie! My first post here.

While I have seen a plethora of WALL•E models (albeit very few good ones), I have to say that the few EVE models I’ve seen were good, but not-quite-there. I’m sorry to see that EVE didn’t get the same love her counterpart did.

And so, I’ve decided to take matters into my own hands, and work on it myself. Through the modeling process, I actually realized why there weren’t so many exact EVE models. IT. IS. A. PAIN. Sure, it’s easy as pie to stretch a sphere and put a head and arms on it, but that’s not what EVE is, at all. Nor is it symmetrical on all fronts.

Also, there aren’t many good reference photos out there, so you kind of have to work with what you have.

Although a friend of mine suggested that I use Mudbox (and believe me, I love that program), I stuck to Max. EVE isn’t entirely organic, but isn’t entirely mechanic either. It’s a sublime blend between the two, making it impossible to use only one technique.

A very subtle proof that EVE isn’t entirely mechanical or organic is the fact that the seemingly sharp edges (arms, fingers and) aren’t that sharp. They’re actually very lightly chamfered, to the point that it’s almost invisible at a first glance, but your eye and brain still get that smooth feel.

This is by no means a finished version, not by a mile. I still need to finish the fingers and refit the face plate. I do have a simple morpher facial rig just to get a sense of character.

Hope you all enjoy it!

Quite awesome, AlexGorchea! You did a really really great job on her! I agree – EVE is just as adorbs as her well-loved sweetheart, and I’m glad to see her getting some spotlight!

I agree you did a great job! I know that drawing her was tougher than it looked so I cant imagine how difficult she would be to model

That is amazing! I’m very impressed; she looks very accurate.

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

Indeed, it was quite the challenge. However, it was quite difficult to pin the shader, but I’ve got some hints from Marek Denko (he’s an awesome 3D artist, you should definitely check out his works).

I’ll need to find time to redo the face plate, I really don’t like how it turned out.

Youre almost ther but not quite. i think that this EVE’s body is a little too conical in shape. I think that she has a slight amount of roundness to the body. The head seems a bit too long along it’s local Z axis (but then, I’m not sure what axis you used in 3DS max for the up and down of the head).
If i’m not mistaken, The shader for her visor has an almost beaded or celled look when looking at it from close up. I think this factor is also what give the shader for the eyes it’s distinctive lined or holographic appearance.

Just some observations. I’ve never actually finished any previous attempts at modeling EVE. :smiley: