Halos Nach Tariff's Artwork (last update: 26/03/09)

Hi, I’m Halos Nach Tariff and I recently watched Wall•e and thought it was excellent so I’m going to do a piece of artwork based on the ‘Dancing’ scene, as voted for by people in the Wall•e forum. It will be pencil (mostly HB) on A4 paper. I’m a pretty slow drawer as I don’t have much free time but I’ll update what i have so far when I can:

20/2/09 • Here is my preliminary sketch of the piece:

It’s pretty rough, and Wall•e looks kinda sad…

22/2/09 • I’ve reworked Wall•e’s eyes and done a little shading:

23/2/09 • I got stuck in a traffic jam this morning so I’ve done some more: I’ve added shading to Wall•e and EVE:

25/2/09 • Okay, I’ve done a little work on the background and tried to polish EVE up. I also added a quote at the bottom and did some work on Wall•e’s and EVE’s trails:

01/03/09 • Here is the next update, I’ve basically just filled in the bottom half of the background and worked a little on the engine jets and EVE’s trail:

03/03/09 • Here is my final, completed piece:

As you can see I’ve finished the background off and I’m happy enough with it to say that it’s finished, I may continue doing a little shading but I doubt it will make a noticeble difference. Thank you all for your kind words as I worked through this piece!

Comments and criticisms welcome!

EVE and WALL-E look really nicely drawn. They look so defined when shaded and dark. Really nice.

Your shading looks incredible, Halos Nach Tariff. I love the detail in WALL•E, especially. Although I love to draw, I often do not have the patience to sit down and sketch out WALL•E to perfection. This must have taken a long time, and I admire your determination on the project. :smiley:

And I know what you mean about EVE. I’m hoping you get that worked out soon, because even in your picture’s unfinished state, it looks amazing. Good job - keep at it! :slight_smile:

little chef

simply awesome, the shading in Wall-e is really well done! I think the fire extinguisher trail is fine, just make it a little less fuzzy, but either way the entire drawing is very good. :smiley:

Halos Nach Tariff - So far, it looks wonderful! You seem to pay great attention to detail and have a good eye for rendering. Keep up the fantastic work! :wink:

– Mitch

Thank you everyone! I do like complements : )

It turns out EVE is much harder to draw than Wall•e, as she is basically only made up of five shapes you have to get the proportions exactly right, and the lack of edges makes shading difficult. That’s why she looks a little too wide, ah well, next time maybe I’ll get it right.

Currently I’m trying to get EVE looking shinier and to do Wall•e’s extinguisher trail. I’ll post when I’m done.

That looks incredible, Halos Nach Tariff! It looks really professional to me, how you have a great eye and hand for detail. WALL-E’s eyes look a little more wistful than happy, though, but that’s a minor flaw. Otherwise, it looks flawless!

Wow, there’s so much detail in your sketch so far, Halos Nach Tariff! WALL-E in particular looks really, really good, and I actually think the proportions of your EVE look just about right too. I love seeing each stage of this drawing, and keep up the good work!

That looks really nice! A great attention to detail!

In regards to your question about the ‘ion flare’ from the engines, try getting rid of the outline and just use shading. It may look more like glowing purple flames then. And the same goes for almost everything too. I was taught in school not to put an outline around objects as it makes things look flat. If you want a more 3D quality, scrap the outlines and really focus on your shading.

That said, you may want outlines in your drawings which is perfectly fine! I still use them in some of mine! It’s just something to keep in mind. :slight_smile: I like what you are doing in this piece. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Hannahmation, I’ve left the black line off the jets in the background. It’s been a long time since I’ve done a picture without outlining it. Back when I was doing GCSE art my teacher suggested I should outline things because I hold my pencil at a funny angle and it causes all my shading to smudge.

For my next picture I’ll try without the outline.

Looks like you’re almost done! Those ion flares do look very difficult to get just right, and I think the way you’ve only included a vague outline works well. I’m trying to think of some constructive criticism, but your shadwing is awesome! I think you should keep all the previous pictures, personally- it’s cool being able to scroll down and see the drawing progress stage by stage.

And for my next trick…

This is where I’m going to put my next piece as I start it, I have two pieces which I’m debating between; one is of Wall•e and EVE looking at the tree in the end credits with the lyrics to ‘down o earth’ written down the side, this will be a colour piece done in pencil crayons.

Either that or I’m thinking of doing a Ratatouille piece, a pencil sketch, of the scene when Colette shows Linguini how to tell bread is good. The scenes dialogue would be written in French on the picture.

I’m a little torn between these two ideas so I’d be glad to hear what you would like to see first.

As someone who’s drawn EVE, I can totally relate to that! She really isnt as easy to draw as she looks. Everything is on her basic shape and the shading because she doesnt have much else. She’s like drawing an egg, and drawing eggs can be very difficult.

Nicely done, Halos Nach Tariff! You have some good shading skills!

I think you should do both! The Wall E one first so you can continue to work with the same characters for a bit. I always like working with on subject for awhile and then switching it up. And besides, I’d like to see you work with color. :slight_smile:

Halos Nach Tariff - The final result looks wonderful! All of your hard work and effort paid off. :wink:

As for what type of composition you should work on next, I’m with Hannahmation on this: I think that you should do both. I would also like to see you tackle the WALL-E one first, but it’s ultimately up to you!

– Mitch

I agree with hannahmation nd Mitch as well. I suggest you try both.

Thank you everyone, guess I’ll be doing both then! I’ll do the Wall•e one first as I haven’t worked in colour for a loooong time so I’m interested in seeing if I can still do it…

06/03/09 • Okay, here is the first draft of my latest piece, taken from the Wall•e credits:

11/03/09 • Sorry about the delay, I don’t get much time to draw at the moment. Anyway, here is the next stage of my ‘Down to Earth’ picture:

I’ve added colour to all areas of the picture and am now working on deepening the colours and shades so they stand out more. Unfortunately my scanner does not pick up colours all that well so the real picture is actually somewhat darker than this. There’s a lot of detail that you can’t really see on the scan, such as on the sea and the mountains. I’ll see what I can do to fix it, someone I know has to have a better scanner somewhere…

Again comments. suggestions and criticisms are welcome.

• 15/3/09
Unfortunately as of yet I have been unable to locate a decent scanner. I have also discovered that my coloured pencils are way too soft to achieve the kind of contrast I want. So I have attempted to alter the colour of my picture on my computer:

Unfortunately I think that this is the first time ever that I have used a computer for art…
Basically this is the same as the previous picture but I’ve changed the saturation to make it darker. I’ve also added the lyrics to Down to Earth down the side, these are too small at the moment however.

All in all things are not going too well…

I love the scene that you’ve chosen, Halos Nach Tariff. Once again, WALL-E looks very detailed and EVE’s proportions are good. The colouring, I think, looks better on the unsaturated one as it looks more natural, though I know what you mean about the lack of contrast- it’s so difficult to get good contrast with colouring pencils. A bit more layering of the colours might help deepen them, but to get a lot of contrast takes a lot of time especially with a big scene like the one you’ve drawn. Cool idea to add the lyrics to the piece, too! What song did you choose?

Thank you, you’re right about the colours I think, it’s just that my scanner cannot pick up on all the shades on my picture. Oh well back to layering…

The song lyrics are from ‘Down to Earth’. Although I had to cut some of the end of to make it fit.