Pixar Planet

Halos Nach Tariff's Artwork (last update: 26/03/09)

Share your fan art from your favorite Pixar films and shorts here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Halos Nach Tariff's Artwork (last update: 26/03/09)

Postby Halos Nach Tariff » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi, I'm Halos Nach Tariff and I recently watched Wall•e and thought it was excellent so I'm going to do a piece of artwork based on the 'Dancing' scene, as voted for by people in the Wall•e forum. It will be pencil (mostly HB) on A4 paper. I'm a pretty slow drawer as I don't have much free time but I'll update what i have so far when I can:

20/2/09 • Here is my preliminary sketch of the piece:

It's pretty rough, and Wall•e looks kinda sad...

22/2/09 • I've reworked Wall•e's eyes and done a little shading:

23/2/09 • I got stuck in a traffic jam this morning so I've done some more: I've added shading to Wall•e and EVE:

25/2/09 • Okay, I've done a little work on the background and tried to polish EVE up. I also added a quote at the bottom and did some work on Wall•e's and EVE's trails:

01/03/09 • Here is the next update, I've basically just filled in the bottom half of the background and worked a little on the engine jets and EVE's trail:

03/03/09 • Here is my final, completed piece:

As you can see I've finished the background off and I'm happy enough with it to say that it's finished, I may continue doing a little shading but I doubt it will make a noticeble difference. Thank you all for your kind words as I worked through this piece!

Comments and criticisms welcome!
Last edited by Halos Nach Tariff on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Halos Nach Tariff
Garbage Boy

Postby The Star Swordsman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:41 pm

EVE and WALL-E look really nicely drawn. They look so defined when shaded and dark. Really nice.
The Star Swordsman
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby little_chef_eva09 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:16 pm

Your shading looks incredible, Halos Nach Tariff. I love the detail in WALL•E, especially. Although I love to draw, I often do not have the patience to sit down and sketch out WALL•E to perfection. This must have taken a long time, and I admire your determination on the project. :D

And I know what you mean about EVE. I'm hoping you get that worked out soon, because even in your picture's unfinished state, it looks amazing. Good job - keep at it! :)

little chef
// Find me on: deviantART // Twitter // Tumblr //
little_chef_eva09
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Floridabum » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:23 pm

simply awesome, the shading in Wall-e is really well done! I think the fire extinguisher trail is fine, just make it a little less fuzzy, but either way the entire drawing is very good. :D
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.

Keyboard not found. Press <F1> to RESUME

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
Floridabum
Ant

Postby Mitch » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:24 am

Halos Nach Tariff - So far, it looks wonderful! You seem to pay great attention to detail and have a good eye for rendering. Keep up the fantastic work! ;)

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby Halos Nach Tariff » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Thank you everyone! I do like complements : )

It turns out EVE is much harder to draw than Wall•e, as she is basically only made up of five shapes you have to get the proportions exactly right, and the lack of edges makes shading difficult. That's why she looks a little too wide, ah well, next time maybe I'll get it right.

Currently I'm trying to get EVE looking shinier and to do Wall•e's extinguisher trail. I'll post when I'm done.
Halos Nach Tariff
Garbage Boy

Postby bright dot-dasher » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 am

That looks incredible, Halos Nach Tariff! It looks really professional to me, how you have a great eye and hand for detail. WALL-E's eyes look a little more wistful than happy, though, but that's a minor flaw. Otherwise, it looks flawless!
thank you, little_chef_eva09![/quote]
bright dot-dasher
Master Scarer

Postby lizardgirl » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Wow, there's so much detail in your sketch so far, Halos Nach Tariff! WALL-E in particular looks really, really good, and I actually think the proportions of your EVE look just about right too. I love seeing each stage of this drawing, and keep up the good work!
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby Hannahmation » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:47 am

That looks really nice! A great attention to detail!

In regards to your question about the 'ion flare' from the engines, try getting rid of the outline and just use shading. It may look more like glowing purple flames then. And the same goes for almost everything too. I was taught in school not to put an outline around objects as it makes things look flat. If you want a more 3D quality, scrap the outlines and really focus on your shading.

That said, you may want outlines in your drawings which is perfectly fine! I still use them in some of mine! It's just something to keep in mind. :) I like what you are doing in this piece. Keep up the great work!
Hannahmation
Supah Genius In-Training

Postby Halos Nach Tariff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks Hannahmation, I've left the black line off the jets in the background. It's been a long time since I've done a picture without outlining it. Back when I was doing GCSE art my teacher suggested I should outline things because I hold my pencil at a funny angle and it causes all my shading to smudge.

For my next picture I'll try without the outline.
Halos Nach Tariff
Garbage Boy

Postby lizardgirl » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:16 pm

Looks like you're almost done! Those ion flares do look very difficult to get just right, and I think the way you've only included a vague outline works well. I'm trying to think of some constructive criticism, but your shadwing is awesome! I think you should keep all the previous pictures, personally- it's cool being able to scroll down and see the drawing progress stage by stage.
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby Halos Nach Tariff » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:20 pm

And for my next trick....

This is where I'm going to put my next piece as I start it, I have two pieces which I'm debating between; one is of Wall•e and EVE looking at the tree in the end credits with the lyrics to 'down o earth' written down the side, this will be a colour piece done in pencil crayons.

Either that or I'm thinking of doing a Ratatouille piece, a pencil sketch, of the scene when Colette shows Linguini how to tell bread is good. The scenes dialogue would be written in French on the picture.

I'm a little torn between these two ideas so I'd be glad to hear what you would like to see first.
Halos Nach Tariff
Garbage Boy

Postby lennonluvr9 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Halos Nach Tariff wrote:It turns out EVE is much harder to draw than Wall•e, as she is basically only made up of five shapes you have to get the proportions exactly right, and the lack of edges makes shading difficult. That's why she looks a little too wide, ah well, next time maybe I'll get it right.

As someone who's drawn EVE, I can totally relate to that! She really isnt as easy to draw as she looks. Everything is on her basic shape and the shading because she doesnt have much else. She's like drawing an egg, and drawing eggs can be very difficult.
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Postby Hannahmation » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 pm

Nicely done, Halos Nach Tariff! You have some good shading skills!

I think you should do both! The Wall E one first so you can continue to work with the same characters for a bit. I always like working with on subject for awhile and then switching it up. And besides, I'd like to see you work with color. :)
Hannahmation
Supah Genius In-Training

Postby Mitch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Halos Nach Tariff - The final result looks wonderful! All of your hard work and effort paid off. ;)

As for what type of composition you should work on next, I'm with Hannahmation on this: I think that you should do both. I would also like to see you tackle the WALL-E one first, but it's ultimately up to you!

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Next

Return to Fan Art