Scale model of house from movie UP

Hi! I am new on your forum, I found you by deviant gallery. I would like to show you my recent project I made. This is as you probably recognize house from Up. I made it out of cardboard and paper. I based my drawings on pictures from internet and cutout toy from oficial website. I love pixar movies and models, so I decided to mary those pasions. It took me 2 weeks to make it. I laser cut thats why its very precise. I still have to paint the floor joists and make baloons, but I am quite happy with results at the moment. I will take more photos in daylight when it will be ready.
[url]http://themodelmaker.net/flying-house-model-pixar-up[/url]

That is SO cool. :smiley: It’s pretty much flawless, but if I had to pick one thing to fix it’d be that the bright blue colors on the house should be a bit more muted. Everything else is pretty much perfect if you ask me.

That’s really cool. I wish I had a skill like that.

Holy crap, that’s impressive! I agree with bryko, the blues are a bit too vivid, but wow, EXCELLENT job, that thing is immaculate! I want one! Could you maybe post your process, I’d like to work on one, give me something constructive to do.

This looks simply wonderful, with all the intricate detail and everything. :smiley:

Quote Everyone!

Simply outstanding! when its finished Ship it off to Wales!

Its so unique!

I wish I had the skill and patience to do that… your skill reminds me of my late grandfather! And its so great looking at it, it brings back old memories of him, and for that I thank you!

wooww !!! you gotta tell me how did you do it !!! wich material is that ??? give me blue prints!! i wanna construct it! lol !! that’s a really beautiful piece of work man!

Yeah, definitely, give us some instructions or something! Please?

That’s Amazing! :open_mouth:

Thanks for your comments. The process hmm like usual. First I downloaded some photos and cutout plans from internet. I loked at this for a moment and try to figure how to build it the easiest way from layers. Then I draw my parts in the cad software, i am architect so this is easy (I do design and drafting every day in the office I work for) When I have something I cut it on my laser cutter. I try to assemble it. It sometimes doesnt work so I correct it. I prepare all details and also cut it in paper. Glue it together and then paint. Most of the time I use 2 types of paper 1.5mm and 0.5mm The basic structure is made out of cardboard with cleverly designed joints, so it almost clips into places. The surface was made out of 0.5 mm paper. At the begining i thought that boards on elevation will be only engraved, but I later decided to make them from stripes of paper to give it better 3d surface. Tha same with shingles on the roof. Those are specialy cut overlaping stripes.Hmm what else do you want to know? Post me questions here or on my blog, If it will be more people interested in the very detailed process, I will cut another set of parts, take photos and make sort of tutorial. It always take me some time to write something because english is not my first language, sorry for mistakes.

Wow. That is really quite amazing! Wonderful job!!

I think a tutorial would be fantastic if you had the spare time to put it together! I’m not too familiar with much of that stuff, and I don’t really have any cad software or anything, so any information regarding that stuff would be great! You’ve got a real talent for this kind of thing, maybe you could work for like a merchandising position if you’re still looking towards a career or something, do some sculpting or stuff like that. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Wow, I just actually read your second post (just skimmed it the first time, so much technical jargon in there, didn’t really READ read it), I didn’t realize the steps and shingles were actually textured! That’s incredible! Excellent job, sounds like a lot of dedication. How long did this actually take, from actually getting it together til the final product?

Cool model! :smiley:

Now, I am sure that there was another thread for what I’m going to mention next, but I can’t seem to find it…

Remember when everyone was speculating which real house might be the “Up House”? Read this article: scifiwire.com/2009/03/up-directo … enture.php

The first commenter might have part of an answer for you…

• C-3PO

I remember seeing this on dA and just being awestruck. The details and the fact that it’s actually to-scale is incredible, and reading how you made it shows exactly how much effort you put into getting it right. This is so impressive, themodelmaker- seems like you’re definitely living up to your username already! :laughing: And welcome to the boards!

That is terrific! Bravo! :smiley:

First of all, welcome aboard themodelmaker!

I do love that model of the house! I tried to make one (I have a model making class in Quantity Surveying course), but it turned out a barn instead of a house.
That’s simply so cool! Do you put in on sale? Coz I wanna buy one…lol. Kidding. :smiley:

Holly molly! :open_mouth: That’s beautiful, exquisite, immaculate, and all manners of superlatives I can throw at it! Seriously, the attention to detail is impeccable, you should be proud of yourself (judging from your comment on your blog, you’re not pleased with it, although it’s good to have the desire to keep improving something). Maybe you could try little Carl, Russell, et al. figurines? I’d love to see try that! Or make other Pixar-related buildings like Wall-E’s truck, the Axiom, Al’s Toy Barn, The Incredible’s house, etc… :wink:

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

:open_mouth: OMG that is extraordinary! It’s so well crafted! Looks like you put a lot of work, detail, and attention into this, making the end result FABULOUS!
With skills like this, the sky’s the limit for the possibilities of the things you can make! :smiley:

P.S. Welcome to Pixar Planet, themodelmaker!

Haha, good point TDIT, you should make Carl, Russell, Ellie, Dug, and Kevin, maybe Muntz as well! That’d be absolutely fantastic!

Thanks for your comments. I am happy you like my model. I updated my post on blog, added jpegs with parts for those interested in building one.

If you know somebody who wants to produce it as licenced designer toy, I would like to make a prototype. I am interested in career as freelance modelmaker.