DIY PIXAR

Update:
Hey Everyone,
This is Pixar Builder just wanting to share with you a pet project of mine I’ve been working on for a while. As many of you may know, I love reverse engineering and home making replicas from movies. I used to be the Public Representative of the WALL-EBuilders.com and last year I attended the Maker Faire with several of my homemade WALL·E robots. After being on Pixar Planet for several months now, I am very amazed by how much other people also seem to share my love for PIXAR as well as building/ constructing their sets and characters. There’s just so much ingenuity is involved and each one of your homemade projects truly is a work of art. That’s why I recently created a small group called DIY PIXAR, a new online building group dedicated to showcasing each one of your magnificent PIXAR builds. It’s a lot like the old WALL-E Building website, except instead of just focusing on WALL·E, I’m trying to incorporate builders of every PIXAR film. Now I know the site’s currently under development, but we could really use the contribution from many of you. I’ll be posting a lot more of my builds in the coming week, but so far you can see builds like my Autopilot and my homemade Luxo Jr. I was heavily inspired by Pixar Planet in creating this and I’d love to see all of your amazing PIXAR creations!

[url]reachsites.com

This is my Homemade, completely DIY Autopilot I built from WALL-E. It took me 3 weeks to complete, and 2 months of drafting out. He’s fully functional and can talk (wirelessly via my laptop).

I admit, he’s not finished quite yet. I still need to add the internal gears as well as the outside speaker, but I love the way it looks. I took him to the San Mateo Maker Faire in May and people really seemed to like it!

That is sooooooo cool! I can’t wait to see it finished!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I agree. That AUTO looks awesome :smiley: .

One question, is it scale size or fullsize.

Good question Starscream117. I suppose it’s a little bit of both. You see, while I did push for a full size replica, I did cheat a bit by basing the proportions on myself. Now in the film, while the Captain was fighting Auto, he stood around 6’’ (since WALL-E is around half his size), with Auto roughly two feet higher than him. I’m a tad smaller, at around 5’8’’ and I based the dimensions around me. So, the wheel is around 17 inches in diameter, and with the stand and antennae pole, he’s 6ft tall.

Not only does it look like the real AUTO, but the fact that he can speak and is fully functioning is really quite amazing! Very impressive work, Pixar Builder. I can see why it has taken you so long to make this!

Oh, and also, it’s preferred that each member have just one thread in the Fan Art section to post all of their creations and artwork in, so if you could just use this thread from now on to show us what you’ve been making instead of creating another new thread, that’d be great, thanks. :smiley:

Of course! Sorry, I’ll delete my other thread.

Holy cow, that’s amazing! Is he able to retract up his antennae (like how he makes his ‘entrances’ and ‘exits’ in the movie)?

Nope, he’s too heavy to be able to move like that safely. Also he would need to be attached to the ceiling in order to do that- mines movable. The only movement he has is with his wheel, his arm grabber, and extending/retracting his spokes.

Wow! Now that is talent! And skill! I am most impressed! Not to mention it looks really cool. Everything’s in proportion, all the details are there. Awesome :smiley:

Thanks for your kind compliments lennonluvr9! If you like my Autopilot, you should also check out my mini M-O robot. I modified a Clean n Go M-O toy, so that he can roll around on a mouse ball wheel, have and LED siren light and have a motorized rotating cleaning brushes.

That is impressive! :smiley:

You are certainly one with the machines, there! I’m looking forawrd to seeing your other works!

Wow, that is amazing!

You have exceptional talent, Pixar Builder! :smiley:

Thanks so much you guys! I’m a engineering fanatic, and I especially love building PIXAR related things to show how realistic their films are. I’m currently working on several more WALL·E Builds (like EVE, and a steampunk WALL·E), as well as several Toy Story creations in prep for TS3. I post them all on my flickr site @ flickr.com/photos/mattoons/s … 866613425/ so you can check them out.

What other builds would you like to see (just curious)?

I wanna see a Luxo ball.

That’s what I’m giving my Luxo Jr. for X-Mas!

Here’s something I am really fond of. For my High School graduation project last year, I had to create something to reflect on everything I had learned in my life previously and show how I might be able to pass on this knowledge to others. So I created this paper model of Carl Frederickson’s house, put a few of my personal belongings inside, and sent it off in hopes that it might reach someone. I finally got a message back from a couple in Nevada, saying that they received it!

My house project got an A+.

Haha, that’s so cool, Pixar Builder! So how far did it travel then? Looks like that A+ was definitely deserved.

Sorry for the repost guys, but I just wanted to get the message out:

Hey Everyone,
This is Pixar Builder just wanting to share with you a pet project of mine I’ve been working on for a while. As many of you may know, I love reverse engineering just as much as I love PIXAR and have a large collection of many homemade Pixar builds. After being on Pixar Planet for several months now, I am very amazed by how much other people also seem to share my love for PIXAR as well as building/ constructing their sets and characters. That’s why I recently created a small group called DIY PIXAR, a new online building group dedicated to showcasing each one of your magnificent PIXAR builds. Now I know the site’s currently under development, but we could really use the contribution. I was heavily inspired by Pixar Planet in creating this and I’d hope to see all of your amazing PIXAR creations!

[url]reachsites.com

Wow, your idea of sending a miniature floating house inspired from the movie is nothing short of terrific!

Can’t wait for your new site!

Thanks thedriveintheater! But if you love this build, you should see what I have planned for my next build. A (near) full scale Extraterrestrial Vegegetation Evaluator Blimp!

I’ll be posting more builds on my site soon, so please join!