JJejja's fan art

Hi guys! I’l put up some of my art here Let me know what you think!

So here’s my version of Carl Fredricksen!

Yes, I know you can’t see his cane but I didn’t want to draw it xD And his ear is weird too… lol
Also right now I’m drawing Kevin and Dug :slight_smile: I’l probably put them here too.

Nice sketch, JJejja! Carl looks great, I like all the detail you’ve included with his jacket and belt and you’ve really caught his expression, something particularly difficult when it comes to drawing Carl it seems. The only critique I have really is his ear, as you’ve already pointed out, and perhaps a bit of deeper shading to make him look more 3D, but aside from that this is a really cool sketch! Looking forward to seeing your upcoming pieces.

Thanks lizardgirl! I’m gonna upload Kevin soon too :slight_smile:

This is a good Carl. Lots of great detail and I agree that you captured his essence! However as an artist perhaps a little farther down the road, I noticed some weaknesses in the foundation of the drawing. Not to worry, you are actually farther along than you think! However I am going to repurpose some tips I gave ffDude for you.

Begin old stuff:

It really shows your passion for the material, and the hard work you have put in as well. Though it looks great, I think that if you went through the process of constructing your figures from more basic shapes you work would improve by leaps and bounds! You ARE improving, but I fear that without a strong grounding in the foundations you are doing yourself and your work a disservice. I have spent many dollars and hours gathering every printed work about the process of animation I can get my hands on, and a recurring thread in all of them is to master the foundations of drawing:

Form
Volume
perspective
composition
shading
style

note that each builds on the other insequence. it is like skating, or music. You spend the time and do the work to learn the basics, and one day you find that you don’t think about basics anymore, you just do them and then your own style starts to flower. Though I can see your style is pretty well defined already!

Take a look at this site. Chuck Redux, managed by the daughter of Chuck Jones, an undisputed master of animation. This site shows many of his drawings of his famous Warner Bros. characters. Not to mention it is a REAL treat for any fan of animation. Note especially the obvious construction or underdrawing that Chuck does. Even the masters still use the foundations, even if they don’t think about it!

http://blog.chuckjones.com/chuck_redux/

Here is a link to some of my old work floating around on the web. You decide if it gives the above any more “cred” or not
[url]William Gibson

I hope this helps!

Wow thank you! this is really helpful :smiley: