Older! Sid, meet your double

[url]http://corvigryph.deviantart.com/art/Goggles-166143643[/url]

I hope this makes someone smile xD

I think that THIS version of “older Sid” is MUCH more realistic and believable that the “teenage-criminal-genius-mastermind-Sid-who-is-obsessed-with-ridding-the-universe-of-toys-and-has-mastered-the-secret-of-interdimensional-travel” from the BOOM! Monsters, Inc. comics.

pitbulllady

Wait… why is Sid in the Monsters, Inc. comic?

Nice job! I really liked the dialogue; so funny in that laid back kind of “let’s just shrug off a somewhat creepy statement” way.

Don’t forget “potential rapist!”

Hehe I actually love the Boom! comics, Amy Mebberson is a fantastic artist and for what it’s worth, I loved seeing Randall again.
Agreed on likeing this version of Sid better though. He seems like a fun loving guy.

I don’t know, but it was crack-tastic.

Now that you mention it… yeah the casualness is creepy xD Not that I expect anyting less from a toutrure enthusiest and a Wammys House graduate.

Good question, actually. He has figured out how to travel to and from the Monster World, and for some reason, is convinced that the monsters are going to help him rid the universe of toys. He has a phobia of toys and considers them to be evil. Not only does Sid know how to move back and forth between dimensions, he also knows the location of a maximum security prison in Monstropolis, and knows that there are two monsters incarcerated there who can help him in his quest to destroy all toys, he knows how to get into said facility unseen(even though he’s human) and he knows exactly how and where to find the two monsters in question and spring them from their cells, undetected. The two expert long-time criminals are, of course, Henry J. Waternoose and Randall Boggs, who, in the comics, apparently never worked for Monsters, Inc., but was just a life-long criminal who partnered in crime with Waternoose, and who was never thrown into the Human World by Sulley and never got beaten with a shovel. In fact, he and Waternoose are STILL in cahoots, only RANDALL is the one who calls the shots and controls the former CEO. He and Waternoose strike a deal with Sid to help him destroy all toys and gain the secret to the Door Stations in exchange for Sid helping them get even wtih Mike and Sulley. Sid does things like throw Celia Mae to the floor and straddle her in a very suggestive way, in addition to being a general evil mastermind. Of course, Sid is never punished; he’s just sent back to the Human World with Roz stating, “hopefully he has learned his lesson”. Lesson, from WHAT?
Regardless of whether Randall appears or not, he is characterized as someone who has been totally evil since his mama met his daddy and has always lived a life of crime. The artist even pooh-poohed the notion put forth by another member here that he was ever capable of doing any good at all, calling him a “nasty piece of work”. Self-righteous MUCH?

pitbulllady

Wait where did you hear that they never worked at MI in the comic? They were getting revenge BECAUSE they worked there at one point, esspecially Waternoose (he tried to sabatoge the laugh floor so that the city would turn back to him for screams). And comic! Randall was just angry at having been banished…

I’m also confused about the prison break. Huge, gaping plot hole is huge and gaping xD

Still, the art was eye candy, so I still enjoyed the comic regardless of flaws. shrugs I never considered comic adaptions to be canon even if they are heavily based in canon.

There is absolutely no mention of Randall having ever been employed at the factory, or “banished” to the Human World. No motive at all is given for him seeing revenge on dear poor Mike and Sulley. No mention is made of HOW he got back from the Human World, since it’s never mentioned that he was ever “banished” there in the first place. He has no scars or indications of injuries at all, nor does he ever mention having been attacked and beaten with a shovel, so one would have to assume that in the BOOM! “universe, none of those things ever happened. Randall is out-of-character, but nowhere NEAR as much so as Sid, whose mere presence does not make any sense whatsoever. The Sid in Toy Story was hardly what I’d call a 'bright” kid by any stretch; he was a little bit smarter than the older(and equally “jerky”)brother, Terrence, in “Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends”, but not by much. The great Dr. Stephen Hawking hasnt’ figured out how to manipulate the wormholes in the space-time continuum to master interdimensional travel, but we are supposed to believe that this teenage kid and potential professional burger flipper/part-time convenience store clerk HAS?? AND he knows his way around a large city in another dimension better than he can navigate the hallways in his high school? Just the fact that Disney-Pixar endorsed this gives me great reason to worry, “eye candy” or no “eye candy”. If the eye candy is mind poison, no thanks!

pitbulllady

Ehh… I’d hardly call a kids comic with flaws “mind poison” … a bit silly, but not “poison” :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey I’m not saying you have to like the comics, but I do so I’ll leave it at that.

Wow this got off topic fast.

While the artwork was indeed above previous M.I. comics (especially Disney Adventure ones)…
The plot work and story was SERIOUSLY lacking. Yes. There WERE some good parts, such as Sullivan’s struggle with being CEO, and his realization that Wazowski uses him as an ego-stroker (Sullivan’s words, not mine). However…plot-wise, it’s shambles.
For one, it is fact that Randall’s exile (not banishment) is NEVER regarded, mentioned, hinted, or anything to that degree. In fact, these comics make it non-existant, posters claiming several charges on him are in the first issue. No point in putting up posters if the so-called criminal is no longer around.
For two…with the vast world of M.I. to work with…they take the parody route of bringing Sid in. Seriously…this is why Fanfictions exist. Despite my lack of knowledge for the other comics, I’ll just say that from what I know…the other comics (Cars/Incredibles, what have you) did NOT do crossovers themselves. And Sid’s DRASTIC differrances between two of the comics is just shameful. Pfft “Never come back”, yeah right.

All in all, I’m glad these were referred to by some as a “dump for sequel ideas”, as making something like THIS a sequel is a shameful route for Pixar.

Oh yeah, forgot about the prison break thing. THAT alone is really shameful. How could a teenage kid with no grand talents in picking locks and stealth break into essentially the “Fort Nox” of prisons in the Monster World SINGLE-HANDEDLY? shakes head

(oh this was in Fan Art…well anyways, great pic by the way, great line work and hidden expression)

…Can we talk about Toy Story 3 now?

and I would just love to see any of you do a better comic. :sunglasses:

Actually watching Toy Story 1 now and got a little interview bit for Toy Story 3.

grins suspeciously at the “better comic” comment Heh heh. While perhaps not as visually appealing…story-wise can make a much more better one. grins again And you might be seeing just that someday :sunglasses:

Haha YES I have been rewatching as well on blue ray (thanks to mah dad) This movie looks hillarious and touching. Going to the midnight premere even if I have to go alone!! xD

I feel like I’m watching a childhood friend grow up you know?

Well in a kinda way, you are. Unsure if you were referring to just in-general, Andy, or Sid, but regardless I think it goes for everyone that we’re watching the story as it growed.

hm sorry to bump this up. I just wanted to say i have to disagree with your opinion of Sid, pitbulllday. I think Sid was -very- bright! He was creative and played with his toys in very imaginative ways. The animators and directors have said themselves SId was based on them, and he was the sort of kid who would grow up to be an animator. I know it plays out differently in toy story 3 [spoil]garbage man[/spoil], but still there was little proof or “potential” in Toy Story that he would be a “burger flipper”. It kind of annoys me he’s considered such a deadbeat because he misbehaves and seems to have an attitude. And do people forget this is also told from the toys point of view, and Sid is not actually evil?? :open_mouth:
it has been argued by the animators too that Sid was the normal one, playing with his toys in the way a real kid would, and Andy was a bit too conservative with his playtime.
well anyway rant over.

THIS. He was the sort of kid I would have hung out with xD

lol yeah me too xD I’m the one who left a comment on your Sid pic on DA btw. love it!!

The whole “normal” thing for Sid just isn’t sitting well with me. I mean, you could definately get a kick out of blowing up an old toy or something, but Sid lives for that, and torturing a toy in any way possible. The power tools in his room, and his creepy makeshift workbench (I just found out that it’s actually a door) add to that. And I just realized that he also had barbed wire around his bed. And finally, all his creepy heavy metal posters. The garbage man thing doesn’t surprise me. He definately was a bad kid, although you might say he was just misguided, because he doesn’t appear to have a very supporting father. Plus, his pony dreams also reveal a lighter side to him.
Thankfully, Woody and his own toys set him straight. Which is why I don’t get the Monsters Inc. comic. I mean I appreciate that they brought him back, it was a clever move (I’m not going to argue about the whole universe bending skills, maybe he is smart). But his motives are a little bit confusing. I’d imagine that he’d have more sympathy for the toys than the kids after his awakening than the kids. And since this is still in the Toy Story universe, wouldn’t we hear something from the toys at all? I guess they wanted to keep their secrecy, but if ALL toys’ lives depended on it, wouldn’t they do anything. It would be interesting to see how toys would communicate with monsters, since they have nothing to hide…

Hehe that was you? Nice to see you here x3

Hehe I really liked Sids room actually… black lights and rock posters are always fun. The barbed wire is news to me xD
I’ll bet Older! Sid’s room is full of the same but with 8 different video game consoles and every violent game known to man. And maybe one Lady Gaga poster. Just one.

Everyone wants to ride the pony, Sid.

Hoo man. I take the Boom comic-verse with a grain of salt. Fun to read but fullll of plot holes (which actually makes it even more fun to me).

What is that real?

What issue is it?! Tell me, doode!

Issue 3 and 4 I belive! You can find all four together now in a kids section :3