Pixar Planet

Mitch's Art

Share your fan art from your favorite Pixar films and shorts here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby Mitch » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:58 pm

-------------

I swear, this obsession isn't even funny. Seriously, it's not....

Heh. Stupid sketches. My mom thinks that they're cute, but I disagree. More practice is needed! Ah well. I'm going to work on another color drawing of Russell anyway, so I'll make up for those terrible... things you see above you. (Believe me, this is a good thing. It's an obsession, but it's good. For once, I'm drawing humans. I never did that before Up became well-known!)

The Star Swordsman - Your Violet drawing is on the way. ;)

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby The Star Swordsman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:55 pm

It is looking pretty well. I believe with the extra lines erased, it would look perfect. You do a great job drawing Russell mitch. I can't wait to see Violet.
The Star Swordsman
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Phileas » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Ha ha ha! :lol: That's a nice one! His expression says it all!
If it gets a laugh, it's not a stupid sketch :)

*Edited. There's no need to quote the entire post.* -- Mitch
Follow me & give me a shout on Twitter! @mr_poohbear
Phileas
Chief Operating Officer

Postby lizardgirl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:37 pm

I don't think those are bad or stupid at all, Mitch! Your forte is definitely in portraying emotions through expressions and it's easy to see exactly what Russell is thinking in each sketch. As this is something I struggle with myself, it's nice to see someone who can do this so effortlessly! Practice does make perfect, but I'd say you're well on the way of creating some of the best Russell sketches on here. :D
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby DocKenobi » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 pm

I don't why you think they're stupid, Mitch. Like others have said, there is a crapload of character in those drawings. Well done!
"I think water is really hard to do in computer animation."
"I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you."
"Last night, Darth Vader came down from the planet Vulcan, and told me if I didn't ask Loraine to the dance then he'd melt my brain."
DocKenobi
Toy Collector

Postby Haunt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:02 am

Mitch Mitch Mitch! What have I told you about getting down on your artwork! I have never (and I say this with all honesty) ever seen anyone improve their artwork in such a short time span as you have. Serously! Keep going, missy!
And I agree with lizardgirl. You illustrate emotion very well. You earliest work had it, and your work now has it. Some people can draw and practice for years and not be about to do that.

...You're going to draw Vi? :3
Haunt
Toy Collector

Postby Hannahmation » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:20 am

You are your own worse critic, Mitch! Your sketches are far from stupid! They are quite adorable! And I agree with what has been said, you portray emotion really well. Keep it up! :D
Hannahmation
Supah Genius In-Training

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:03 am

Gee whiz....

I'm quite touched you guys. I'm serious. I really am...

The Star Swordsman - Ha-ha. Yeah, I drew those depictions of Russell on note paper, hence the lines. I didn't feel like editing them out, so I just left 'em. Heheh.

Thank you very much, dude!

By the way, my mom finished your Violet drawing! It looks freakin' awesome. I'll upload it for you soon. ;)

Phileas - Thank you so very much, Phileas! I really do appreciate it.

lizardgirl - Gosh. Thank you so much.

DocKenobi wrote:Like others have said, there is a crapload of character in those drawings.

Ha! I like how you said that. Thanks, dude!

Haunt - Curse me for being so tender here, but I.... Man, I swear. I almost got kind of watery-eyed there for a minute. I don't think I've ever blushed so hard reading someone's comments about my work. Thank you so much, dude. Even though I really do think it stinks sometimes, I'll try not to get down on my work too much. Heh.

Actually, my mom is the one who drew The Star Swordsman a picture of Violet. She just finished it a day or two ago, in fact, so I'll post it up momentarily (some time tomorrow)!

Hannahmation - All of you guys are too sweet, I swear. Every sample of praise and delivery of much-needed critique makes me smile. Thank you very, very much. :D

------------------------------

Values in Action - Citizenship:

Copied from deviantArt:

"This is the first of a 12-part series of compositions featuring Russell, one of the core characters from Pixar Animation Studios' next film, <i>Up</i>.

The twelve central values of Cub Scouting are (in no particular order... necessarily):

- Citizenship
- Compassion
- Cooperation
- Courage
- Faith
- Health and Fitness
- Honesty
- Perseverance
- Positive Attitude
- Resourcefulness
- Respect
- Responsibility

According to the "Scouts": <u>Character is "values in action".</u>

Additionally, my mom discovered this:

<b>Scout Law</b>:

- Trustworthy
- Loyal
- Helpful
- Friendly
- Courteous
- Kind

I love these tenets, and happened to stumble upon them as I browsed the official website of the Boy Scouts (which you can access here: http://www.scouting.org/). Consequentially, I decided that I wanted to draw Russell exercising these twelve basic principles. I know that he is a Wilderness Explorer and not a Boy Scout, but it's the closest I could get to the institution/club he belongs to.

In this particular instance, Russell is demonstrating his <u>patriotism/citizenship.</u>

<b><u>Advanced critique is greatly encouraged.</u></b>

<b>Note</b>: A reference was used when drawing this composition.

-- Mitch

-------

<b>Tools</b>:

- H/4B/6B pencils (black)
- Various <i>Prismacolor</i> pencils
- Eraser (<i>Pink Pearl</i>)
- <i>Photoshop CS2</i> (used to darken, enhance, and partially cleanse image)

<b>Estimated Time</b>: 2-4 hours"

-----------------------------------

I also like how the original drawing (which was out-lined in blue pencil) turned out as well, so here it is:

Additionally, this image was used as a reference:

I think I'm in love with Russell. Look at that face. Look how cute he is.... (sigh)

-----------------------------------

Once again, thank you all so very, very much for your kind comments and critique. I appreciate it more than you know....

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby Captain Pan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:30 am

Mitch We might have to take you to see a doctor... Not sure which type... but a Doctor never the less...

and when we take you... we can take me also...

That picture is outstanding... and I love the detail on everything from the Bend in the Stripes on Old Glory... to the shade differences in the Necker...

Simply Great Mitch

Can't wait to see the other 11 now..
Captain Pan
Garbage Boy

Postby bright dot-dasher » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 pm

I'm serious, that looks really well drawn. Marvelously neat. :D I like how you had enough time and patience to color it so splendidly!
thank you, little_chef_eva09![/quote]
bright dot-dasher
Master Scarer

Postby lizardgirl » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:08 pm

A beautiful sketch, Mitch! The original lineart flows so well, and I like that you've done it in blue. It makes it look really professional, for some reason. I always worry when I colour in lineart, as there's the risk that it won't work out, but your colouring really enhances the picture and it's the delicate shading, especially on his face and the graduation on his shorts, that makes Russell really stand out. The only critique I can think of, if I'm going to be really annoying and nitpicky, is the line of where Russell is standing in comparison to the stand of the flag, as it makes Russell looks as though he's floating a little. You've remedied that when you coloured it in anyway, by adding the shadow, and otherwise this sketch is perfect! Keep it up!
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby Pixar.rocks » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:21 pm

I love your style Mitch, like people who want to draw with a model try to do the exact same way but you just add things and make it your way which is totally awesome !
Pixar.rocks
Toy Collector

Postby Mitch » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:16 am

Captain Pan, bright dot-dasher, lizardgirl, and Pixar.rocks - Thank you all very much! :D

lizardgirl wrote:The only critique I can think of, if I'm going to be really annoying and nitpicky, is the line of where Russell is standing in comparison to the stand of the flag, as it makes Russell looks as though he's floating a little.

Ha-ha. Yes, I completely agree with you on this. I only realized my mistake after I'd fleshed out Russell, so I just let it be. Next time, though, I'm going to do my best to make sure that everything is on the same plane.

Thanks for the critique! :D

------------------------

Here it is, The Star Swordsman!

------------------------

Even More Russell Sketches -

------------------------

Personally, I think that the Violet composition looks freakin' awesome. My mom outlined it in pencil, I believe, and then went over it again (and shaded it in) with a pen. I hope that you like it! ;)

As for the Russell sketches: Well, I was bored... again. He looks like Jr. Asparagus in that top left-hand one.... :roll:

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby Phileas » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:45 am

Mitch, Mich, Mitch... you don't cease to amaze me. You are so darn talented with expressions! And tell your mum I've been captivated by her Violet drawing - the pose says it all. You come from a family of freggin' awesome drawers. :)
Follow me & give me a shout on Twitter! @mr_poohbear
Phileas
Chief Operating Officer

Postby Captain Pan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:31 am

Phileas you can say all that again! Cause its exactly what I think!

Violet is pure gold! Perfect... 100%... Homerun, Touchdown, Hole in One... you name it is that! You mum needs great applause for that... but then your mum's compositions are always spectacular!

Mitch I think you have a problem... its called Russellitis... and are severely suffering from it...
Symptoms are quite clear...

drawing Russell over 30 times (the count Has to be that high now)
Opening Posts with the Russell greeting "Hi There"
Having a Plethora of Russell Shaped Signatures...

but in the end its great to see someone draw.... and draw with such dedication and heart a character whom they totally feel something for... I dare say If I had this same type of commitment there'd be more art being drawn right now...

Congratulations... and keep them coming!
Captain Pan
Garbage Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Art