Pixar Planet

Mitch's Art

Share your fan art from your favorite Pixar films and shorts here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby Haunt » Sat May 02, 2009 5:58 pm

I saw your new one on dA! Very cute.

And welcome back, sharpie. Was wondering where you wandered off to.

OH! Mitch! I never mentioned how freaking happy i was about that vi pic! One of my favorite random expressions of hers.
Haunt
Toy Collector

Postby thedriveintheatre » Mon May 04, 2009 3:45 am

I love the Remy pic! Best one of Remy I've seen from you so far! (But I haven't trawled through your archives, so maybe I'll see a better one, but this is my current fave for now) I love how you made his eyes huge and his lips slightly parted, I guess you were going for a 'shocked' or 'amazed' reaction?
The fingers are impeccable as usual. He only has whiskers on one side of his face, but I guess if you added the other side, it would be too distracting. Very natural and good-looking. I like it.
Russell's animation, like you said, looks a little rough. But that's what an animatic is suppose to be anyway. All I can say is I like his eye-rolling and eyebrow-raising, there's some nice hints of detail in there. I can't wait for the other frames and the final clean-up! :D
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Mitch » Wed May 13, 2009 2:45 am

Haunt and thedriveintheatre - Thank you very much for your kind comments! :D

Haunt wrote:OH! Mitch! I never mentioned how freaking happy i was about that vi pic! One of my favorite random expressions of hers.

Ha-ha. I'm glad you like it! My mom drew that, hence the awesomeness. (heheh)

------------------

Despite my absence, I've cooked up a few things over the past several days....

------------------

Up - Storyboard Panel -

---

Russell-ness -

---

Dug - "Thank You" Card -

---

Ellie -

------------------

I referred to an action sequence from one of the behind-the-scenes featurettes for Up for the storyboard panel. Yes, I know my version sucks. Even I can't tell what's going on. (heh)

As for that min-collage of Ellie drawings, I made up the expressions, but referred to a series of storyboards when doing so. You can view the page of panels below, but be warned: There be minor spoilers ahead.

"Up" Storyboards

Concerning Russell, I am suffering from an infatuation of some kind. As I've said before, it's not that kind of a love. I just like the kid... a lot. I guess this is similar to the instance where everyone on deviantArt loved JoJo from Horton Hears a Who! for some time, only I seem to be one of the few who's a fan of Russell to that extent. :P

In addition, I finished eight more frames of my animated project involving Russell, so now twenty frames are complete. I'm a little more than half-way done!

By the way, I apologize in that the drawings presented here are so large. I guess I didn't size them down enough in Photoshop....

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby Mitch » Thu May 14, 2009 7:53 pm

My apologies for the double-post, but I had to post something up....

------------

The Seedy and the Sublime:

I cannot even begin to tell you how much fun I had drawing that bottom sketch. I went into full-nostalgia mode and just... enjoyed myself. Part of the reason behind this is the Forrest Gump theme song. I came upon it on YouTube yesterday and realized that a portion of that tune is one that I had occasionally hummed as a teenager without even remembering where it was originally from. I was transported back to my childhood years for a few minutes upon hearing it, and consequentially started sketching as though nothing else mattered....

-----

------------

lizardgirl - I tried my hand at Carl again so as I could take your advice and attempt to make Carl's jaw a bit more angular. What do you think? Does it work, or should I continue to refine it?

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby lizardgirl » Thu May 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Lovely new art there Mitch! The first storyboard panels are looking good- you manage to capture the scene with enough detail and movement but at the same time you don't go over the top in terms of refinement, so they're just as storyboard panels should be. Russell's expression in the third square is particularly evocative!

I'm pretty sure that your Russell sketches are steadily improving! The one where he's holding the chocolate bar is my favourite so far, and his face in both is beautifully refined.

Aww, look at Dug! So sweet! I'm sure your Doctor will love the card. :D

The sketches of Ellie are really good, especially in terms of her emotions and expressions. I like the second one in particular, it just really portrays that sense of doubt that seems to be playing on her mind.

As for your latest Russell sketches, the coloured one is beautiful- I like your style of shading- and although you haven't coloured them in, the hands look particularly good. His nose is perhaps a bit too button-y but I think that might also be down to the shading. Otherwise, it's a really sweet picture.

And that second one is so sweet! He looks like he's having such a good time. :lol: There's also a lot of movement due to the flowing lines and that really adds a sense of depth and excitement to the piece.

Your last Carl sketch is much improved! It definitely looks so much more like him, if you get what I mean- I think you've really captured the shape of his face now, as well as maintaining that really sad, sweet expression on his face. Carl is just so difficult to draw, I mean, I've tried him myself a few times and just thrown the sketches away because it tends to look nothing like him, so what you've drawn is pretty amazing in comparison! Good work on the improvement there. :D
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby Nexas » Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 am

My jeez these are all good ^_^ The movie hasn't even been released in theatres yet, and your drawing s good :D
Nexas
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Hannahmation » Fri May 15, 2009 1:10 am

Lovely new drawings, Mitch! The Up story boards are nice; give a good sense of movement. Your Russell sketches are as cute as ever! The Dug Thank You card is neat. Bet your doctor loved it! The Ellie sketches are great; show a nice range of expressions! Carl looks great too! He's a hard one to draw, but you are improving!
Hannahmation
Supah Genius In-Training

Postby bright dot-dasher » Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 am

Wow, very fantastic artwork! I love all the Russel pics the most. The Seedy and the Subline are really lovable, I'm serious. All the sketches look amazing! You're at it again, Mitch. Another awesome update! . :D
thank you, little_chef_eva09![/quote]
bright dot-dasher
Master Scarer

Postby Mitch » Thu May 21, 2009 12:57 am

You all flatter me....

Thank you so much, lizardgirl, Nexas, Hannahmation, and bright dot-dasher for your grateful comments and critique! I know I've said this a jillion times before, but I really do appreciate all of your input. It means more to me than you know. :D

lizardgirl wrote:His nose is perhaps a bit too button-y but I think that might also be down to the shading.

Thanks for pointing this out. I noticed it myself after I'd colored it in, but I hated it so much that I just left it. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who recognized this error, though! It shows that more practice is needed on my part, and I want to improve, so I can use all the help/critique I can get.

lizardgirl wrote:Carl is just so difficult to draw, I mean, I've tried him myself a few times and just thrown the sketches away because it tends to look nothing like him...

Aww, you should have kept them! I would have loved to have seen them. :D

I'm glad I'm getting better at drawing Carl, by the way. Thanks for your input!

Hannahmation - Actually, I haven't given my doctor that particular drawing yet, but when I do give it to him I hope he likes it! I think it's funny that I'm giving my doctor an Up drawing. I never made the connection until after I'd sketched it. :P

Once again, thank you very much for your comments, everyone! :loves:

------------------------

DeviantArt ID -

-------

Jessie -

------------------------

1) I was getting so sick of my old deviantArt ID, so I finally knuckled down and built a new one.

2) For weeks, I had had this craving to draw Jessie from Toy Story 2. Eventually, I got to work. The results aren't too bad; they could be worse, I suppose....

Note: References were used for each set of drawings.

A perfect example of my daftness: I just realized today that, if Pixar didn't exist, I probably wouldn't have chosen to pursue a career in art....

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby woody » Thu May 21, 2009 1:04 am

Wow Mitch! You never cease to amaze me! :D Those Jessie drawings are just superb, I wish I could draw like that! Better get back to my sketchbook....
woody
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Nexas » Thu May 21, 2009 2:43 am

New ID? Nwice :D
Nexas
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby The Pixarian » Thu May 21, 2009 4:21 am

Awesome art work! How long have you been drawing? Did you ever take classes?
The Pixarian
Radio Pixar Staff

Postby Hannahmation » Thu May 21, 2009 4:32 am

Mitch wrote:Hannahmation - Actually, I haven't given my doctor that particular drawing yet, but when I do give it to him I hope he likes it! I think it's funny that I'm giving my doctor an Up drawing. I never made the connection until after I'd sketched it. :P

Well, I had to read what you wrote twice before I got the connection! Now I find it really amusing. Probably more than I should. haha :wink:

Now to your artwork:

I like your new ID! It's really nice. Love the line work in the drawing! Don't know how many times I've told you that now, but you really do have great line work skills. I'm kind of envious :D

Sweet sketches of Jessie! You always show such a great range of emotions when you do character sketches like this. Keep it up!
Hannahmation
Supah Genius In-Training

Postby lizardgirl » Thu May 21, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm liking your new ID, Mitch, not only the sweet sketch of Remy but how you've laid out the ID generally. That's a nice sort of rhubarb-y colour that you've used for the background.

Those sketches of Jessie are really good! I think you've captured her personaltiy very well but at the same time you've adapted her to your own style and it's worked nicely I think.
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby bright dot-dasher » Fri May 22, 2009 3:22 am

I love how lovely and neat your Deviant Art ID is, Mitch! I love the sketch of Remy and how you put "J'aime" and "J'deteste" in the profile. Really remarkable.

And those Jessie sketches are also really cool! You're good at the different facial expressions!
thank you, little_chef_eva09![/quote]
bright dot-dasher
Master Scarer

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Art