Silverwind's Library

So my first post ever on this forum is in fanfiction. Devoted writer, right there. :nerd: Anyway, I’m not 100% sure how everything here works yet, still getting a feel for it all, so I’ll just post whatever fanfiction I write in this thread to keep it all neat and compact. (When in doubt, copy Netbug. I’ve been learning this since I was 12. ^^‘’)

So speaking of Netbug, it would seem she has publicly declared war on me: Her (admittedly canon) pairing of Mater and Holley against my OTP of Holley and Finn. The first story I’m going to post here was what sparked it all, followed by Net’s story " Holley Shiftwell Decides to Live" (which is very good by the way. Read it!) Now I’m being asked to write more Holley and Finn, so I guess it really is WW3. Bring it on, Netty. Bring it on. :mrgreen:

Dents of the Mind
A Cars 2 Fanfic by Silverwindghost

Undercover opperations could be absolutely terrifying.

As a rule, it wasn’t a fact any self-respecting spy car openly admitted, but it was there, all the same. Looming. There were always those missions where, if only for a moment, you sincerely believed that you were going to die.

Holley Shiftwell believed she was becoming perhaps a bit too familiar with that feeling.

Not to be mistaken, she did like working in the field. It was fun always having a new adventure to face, new places to see, not to mention being able to watch her own knowledge be put to use in a successful way. It was gratifying. And of course, she enjoyed working alongside Finn. Holley was glad to be his partner, even if the elder car never really had given her much of a choice in the first place.

Sighing, she glanced beside her, where the spy car in question sat quite soundly asleep, as they waited in their hideout for the night until further instructions were given. Holley smiled wryly. She most certainly did not agree with Finn’s philosophy that nearly being shot and killed could make you feel more alive than anything. It caused feelings of anxiety, fear, fatigue in the aftermath----all of those, certainly—but nothing close to enjoyment, to be sure. Still…Holley had to admit, you couldn’t help but feel proud and just a little bit pleased when you completed a mission, when you got away.

As long as you really did get away.

Holley closed her eyes. It didn’t block out the image she still saw in her mind, of the three of them trapped up there in the clockworks of London. The incident had occured nearly three months ago, but she still remembered. She remembered Finn’s tone of voice when he acknowledged that the tow truck Mater really wasn’t anything more. She remembered Mater breaking free, and Finn confidently lying to him in order to get him to leave. So convincing, even Holley herself had believed him.

" He wouldn’t have left if I had have told him the truth."

Holley remembered it all, as vividly as a video played over in her mind in hi-def. She had not been able to see Finn’s face, however, and was rather glad she couldn’t. She was afraid of the look that might have been there. That look, in the instant when he finally knew.

Mater.

They had put a lot of faith into the old tow truck-not to be wasted either, for he really was a good person. The admiration he held for Lightning McQueen was obviously not wasted, either, it was very strong. Holley was glad they had stayed together back in Radiator Springs. She was glad everything had worked out.

Still…she couldn’t shake that memory, the one of those few split seconds after Mater had driven away from them in the clocktower. She had seen him escape, seen him drive off with resolve on his face, but she had seen something else inside herself, as well. It had only been an instant—so fleeting it was almost nonexistant—but for a moment, she had found herself desperately wishing it was Finn in his place, instead. He always managed such great escapes, he hadn’t deserved to be caught. None of them did, but Finn…he could have saved them all. Holley felt guilty looking back, but there had been that moment when she’d doubted Mater. She had feared for her life, and Finn’s and Lightning McQueen’s all. But more than anything, she had wanted Finn to at least escape with his own.

The thunder that pulled her from her thoughts sounded exactly like a gunshot.

“Holley?!” The silver car beside her sprung to life at the sound, tensed like a spring from tires to roof. His eyes were wide with unmasked fear and apprehension.

" Finn! Finn, it was only thunder." Holley had to bite back a laugh, for Finn’s expression really was funny. He stared at her uncomprehendingly for a moment, mind fogged by sleep.

“…Oh. Well-I knew that, of course. I—I just…I merely though–t-” Finn shut his mouth, blinked. “…Goodnight.”

He closed his eyes again immediately, not seeing Holley chuckle quietly beside him. Thunder crashed again overhead, but Finn didn’t move. Smiling softly, Holley scooted closer to him, until they were nearly touching. There was something strangely comforting about the sound of Finn’s breathing, that made the storm outside seem trivial in comparison. Watching Finn, Holley realized she couldn’t stop herself from smiling.

Gently, so as not to startle him again, Holley nuzzled against his hood—a comforting gesture. She looked up just in time to see a flicker of blue eyes looking at her before they were gone again, hidden by their owner in embarassment and fatigue. Shyly, almost undetectably, she felt Finn nudge against her in return.

" Goodnight, Miss Shiftwell."

" Goodnight, Finn."

I just want to clarify, I still think Holley and Mater is an adorable friendship, even a canon pairing if it must be. I just find Finn and Holley more believable, I guess—not because Holley shouldn’t be with a rusty old car, it’s nothing like that. It’s just…their personalities. Personally, I feel that they mesh together in an adorable, really sweet way. Mater is still awesome, though. All the love for Mater. <3

Here’s the link to Net’s Holley/Mater fic she wrote as a counterattack. It may have been written in vain, but it’s pretty neat.
fanfiction.net/s/7132188/1/H … es_to_Live