The Horror!

Alright, so the thing is this, it seems like many of the members here have never ever laid their eyes on a horror movie at all. No, that is not exactly s ‘virtuous’ deed, because some horror movies ain’t as sinful as you picture. So, that got me thinking (crowd gasps “Woo, that’s not a good sign!”), how many of you here have actually seen a real horror movie before? I’m not talking about “The Nightmare Before Christmas” or “The Grinch,” I’m talking about the really gnarly ones like “Saw,” “Friday The 13th,” “Halloween (1978 [ho, a classic]),” “The Fly,” etc.

I mean, there has to be some ‘mature’ audience available here, right?

Heh, get ready for a list!

• Scream 1-3
  • Saw 1-4 (Yes, planning to see Saw V, but wondering how the story will progress two movies after Jigsaw’s death.)
  • Halloween
  • AVP
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre/ The Beginning as well
  • Alien
  • Predator
  • Chuckie Movies
  • Some other slasher flicks whose names escape me.

Those are some off the top of my head so I’ll probably add more later.

Heh heh, the “Scream” series was great. I didn’t realize it was a tribute to the many horror films out there till recently. A lot of twists and good storylines there, definitely worth watching.

As for “Saw,” it’s just gold. No film could ever beat the franchise. It was genius. Well, maybe except for “The Dark Knight,” but only that. :stuck_out_tongue:

And the “Chuckie movies” you were referring to is the “Child’s Play” franchise. I didn’t know that as well when I first got onto the horror fandom. :laughing:

So, maybe we can spend this Halloween night under the crimson moon sharing our gnarly experiences with the most horrifying movies we ever saw in this thread.

If it’s Halloween… you know the rest. :wink:

I’ve seen all of the Saw films so far, and definitely plan on seeing the fifth when it comes out in the cinema, just for fun. I think I’ve pretty much seen all of the films on Remy14’s list, aside from the last Scream.

I’ve also seen Hostel and its sequel, which was a bit rubbish, to be honest, Sunshine, which I count as a horror simply because so few people are alive at the end, and some other more rubbishy horror films like The Grudge and its sequel, and that sort of thing.

Though I don’t know what makes you think that so few people on PP have ever watched a ‘proper’ horror movie before, WBoon. I’ve never got that impression, particularly. :laughing:

I’m sorry. :blush: It’s just that I thought Disney and Pixar fans, especially the really hardcore ones had probably been softened up by the films so much that they wouldn’t be interested in receiving even that little thrill caused by a psychotic maniac bent on yet, another massacre. :laughing: Not that those films are childish or anything… I wouldn’t be here if I think they are boring, so, don’t think that just because I love the grotesque sight of Leatherface. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s good to know that there are people here who are equally twisted as well. xD

coughs…it must be Saw.

I sort of see what you mean, WBoon. Fair enough. :laughing:

I think the attractiveness of horror films is being afraid. I love the tension as you hold onto your popcorn and wait for something bad to happen- because you know something will happen, as it’s a horror film, but a good horror film means that you don’t know when it will happen.

And the best horror films are the ones that are so bad, they’re funny. :laughing:

The ironic thing is, the classics have so many plot holes they would look bad to the ordinary fan. Of course, the true horror fan would know that it’s a classic, it was produced in the past, where people’s idea of a horror movie is some guy running around in a hockey mask chopping people up with a machete… I’ll stop. :laughing:

“Earth vs The Spider” starring Dan Aykroyd was not too bad, too, if not a little uncreative.

I have seen a few of the Halloween movies. THat gave me nightmares for a while. I also saw some asian horror films on crunchyroll.com. They got some good videos over there.

In the past, I always found the Asian horror films to be much horrifying than the American ones, probably because they were full of those ‘jump-out-and-scare-you’ moments. There was a term for such an element mentioned by an even more avid horror fan, but obviously I have forgotten what it is… :blush:

I agree with you WBoon. American horror movies now are more stupid funny than scary.

I’ve seen The Village and The Others. After that, I had no desire to delve deeper into the realms of scary movies. I respect the movies, I’m just a happy person and I enjoy things that make me laugh and feel all warm inside.

The interesting thing is that after I dwell into that world, I began to deter away from the comedies which I once loved…

Maybe this can be made as a research into the human mind. :laughing:

The most recent horror movie I saw was Saw 2. After the first 20 minutes, I decided that it wasn’t worth my time.

Ho ho, you have no idea, TSS. :laughing:

I will agree with you that Saw II started out a little slow in the beginning, but if you managed to catch the entire series… god, you’re in for a surprise. :wink:

They got like 4 saw movies with the 5th one comming out soon. I always think, “Is this going overboard a bit?”

It’s never overboard with Saw. :wink: At first, I was rather bored by so many of its movies coming out, too… that was until Saw III came out.

Trust me when I tell you this - Saw is a masterpiece.

I don’t know. Most of my friends say it gets stupider and stupider each time.

Ah, people can say a lot of things.

My friends said that Disney was gay, but does that make Walt a homosexual? :stuck_out_tongue: Kidding, but they did call the Disney movies that.

I guess you’re right. Saw 5 looks like it has potential to be a good one.

Saw V is going to be his best and his last. [spoil]I was not really satisfied when they replaced Kramer with Hoffman, but eh, might grab my throat with another twist again, who knows.[/spoil]