How to become a moderator

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread…but I was just wondering how do you become a moderator? Not exactly because I want to, just curious…

Ultimately, it is up for the administrators to make that decision. Usually, they look for loyal members who not only have been on Pixar Planet for the longest time, but also who follow the posting guidelines and Pixar Planet Rules.

I’m pretty sure how it usually happens is if the admins and other moderators feel that another moderator is needed, they will scout and approach the person privately if they think they would be able to fit the role. If that person accepts, then they’re given the status of moderator. The way I became a mod was a little different. I was added to the Radio Pixar team then after that, promoted as a moderator.

The typical job, in my experience, is doing things such as: moving threads, locking threads, editing posts (curse words, putting spoiler tags in, merging double posts), resolving conflicts, keeping an eye on members, answering questions, giving warnings etc It sounds glamourous and I am proud to be a mod and represent Pixar Planet, but be prepared that it takes away time that you may usually put towards you own projects going on here, which is why I haven’t done anything in the way of graphics lately… Depending on how many other moderators chip in to help, you would probably expect to spend an additional 30 mins - hour every time you log on to check threads, or deal with issues, which is why I’d only encourage anyone who wants to be a moderator to express their interest if they have plenty of spare time. It’s also an advantage if you are able to check here at various times of the day to check that every thing’s running smoothly. Because of the time zone differences, usually at least one moderator is online most of the time, which is why I’m online at the forums so often - to check how things are going. Well, that’s my excuse anyway. cough

I suppose if you wanted to be a moderator, you could always say so here and we’d keep you in mind. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t mind being a moderator, for I’ve got time (mostly). I just haven’t been around all that long yet. :slight_smile: Besides, it’ll be a long time before an opening happens! :laughing: I’m pretty cut out to moderate you could say for whenever I’m on the computer, I’m always checking Pixar Planet. That is unless someone kicks me off the computer before I can get on here. :frowning: But like I said. Haven’t been around for a long time. I’m still relatively new compared to others.

Step one to becoming a Mod on any forum: Don’t ask to become a moderator

And it’s not as if this place is in need of a lot of moderation really.

Hurr hurr, I was gonna make a Fight Club reference, but I’ll spare you my lame jokes for now.
Anyhoo, just saying I’m up to become a ‘Forum Cop’ should the need arise. :wink:

Step two in becoming a mod on any forum: You do not. Ask. To become. A moderator. :smiley:

Sorry. :laughing: Couldn’t resist inserting the joke when thedriveintheather passed the chance. Fight Club was win. :sunglasses:

Edited for shouting. – Mitch

Okay. I got it. Besides, like anyone would chose little ol’ me anyways.

Well, a lot of moderating we do, or at least me anyways, is editing fairly quickly, and dealing with situations before most members are even aware what’s going on. There have been recent incidents that we were able to handle on a real-time basis, and who knows what may have happened if no mod was online to deal with it.

Actually there’s no harm at all in expressing interest to become a mod. Otherwise how would we know which members would like to be one? :slight_smile:

I think there are lots of members who want to moderate, but some of us(me) are too immature, rude, and can’t control ourselves from making frivolous threads. :cry: I’m sorry, mods. I’m such a trouble, it seems like you guys have to babysit a lot of us.

We know there are a lot of people here that would love to be moderator. but we mods observe each and every member carefully when it comes to choosing a new moderator. We only pick new ones under special circumstances though.

Don’t worry, IncredigirlVirginia, you’re not that bad at all! Plus if you’re aware of the mistakes you sometimes make (as everyone does), then you can learn from them. :smiley:

weakly raises hand If you are looking to consider members for a moderator position in the future, I’m putting my name out there so you’ll know I’m interested. I’ve been interested for about a year now, but didn’t know it was all right to state so, then I saw that one of you guys had posted that it was all right to put your name out if you were interested. Didn’t want to come off as pretentious or something, yanno? :frowning:

little chef

I would like to be a moderator but my account is not even a year old yet.