We need a report button.

Someone made a VERY rude comment to another member that is slightly less than on the level of a typical forum user (either a little kid or a special ed student). Either way, one member made a VERY rude sarcastic comment that even offends me, and the person it was directed toward might not even get it.

I found it extremely offensive and want to report this member to the moderators for a warning…or even a temporary ban, as harsh as that sounds.

But there’s no report button.

And I can’t just PM a mod, because I have no idea who IS a mod and who isn’t.

Edit: Wait, I found one. But we still need a report button.

That’s an interesting idea, The Chicken Man. The only problem occurs when people start to abuse the report button, but that in itself could incur a punishment of some sort.

For future reference, there is a list of all moderators here- RULES for Pixar Planet. I think considering the number of active mods about in comparison to the acitivity of the boards, we’ve got things pretty under control, and most members do know who to PM when something does come acropper, and hence a report button isn’t really needed at the moment, I don’t think.

I too think that we don’t need a report button. People do a great job reporting incidents directly to moderators and people of authority. A way to tell if a person is a moderator or not is to find a MOD icon under their avatar.

Moderators include thedriveintheatre, lizardgirl, Phileas, myself, and a whole lot more.

I agree that a report button (although convenient) would cause more harm than good. I was recently banned from a similar non-Pixar-related forum simply because some little kid abused the report button and the moderators thought I had done something wrong.

A report button is being looked at for the new PP forums. I’ll keep you guys tuned.

Hey Phileas, just curious, any planned ‘opening date’ for the redesigned forum? :smiley:

This.

I’m just afraid that more… immature members would get so bent out of shape if a non-threatening comment somehow bothered them or got them angry, that they’d immediately hit the ‘report’ button before going to the mods, just cuz it’s easier to press that button than type up a nice, detailed PM about what they thought was done wrong.

And from what Chuckles said, I’d be afraid that the other member who was reported wouldn’t have any chance to justify themselves - especially if they didn’t do anything wrong.

I guess the reason why I’m coming from it at this angle is… let’s just say that I’ve been a first-hand victim of false accusations here on this forum, and made to sound like I did something wrong when all that happened was someone took my post the wrong way. Thankfully, we have excellent mods, and they handled it all on their own in a respectful and yet effective manner.

So in short: report button = good idea, but overall I don’t think it’s really needed at all. I’m just afraid of its abuse - members who could possibly jump to the gun at using that thing if they were even slightly offended by something that wasn’t meant to be offensive. :confused:

little chef

Oh dear, who would do such a thing? :frowning:

I don’t support the implementation of a ‘Report Button’ too. There’s a possibility some immature members (and there are a few, actually) might cause ‘false emergencies’ or abuse it to frame others. If someone needs to be reported, you can approach any (or all) of the Mods with evidence before we investigate. I think a report button would be a redundant feature.

TDIT: Don’t worry, it happened a while back and I’m over it. The member (not sure if they should be named, so I’ll keep quiet… but you might remember who I’m talking about) got very angry at people if they disagreed with his opinion, and would often go on about how awful his life was and how much he hated his parents. It simply spilled over into his posting, and one time he sort of came against TSS because TSS happened to like the movie in his sig. I told this member that it was rude to be forcing his opinions on others, and then he blew up on me. I got called some mean things, and was accused for saying things I didn’t say, but thankfully TSS was right on top of the whole thing and cleared it right up. The member ended up getting banned soon afterward, so it’s not a big deal anymore. I knew I was never at fault anyway, so I’m over it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just remember the feelings I had during the whole argument… again, I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong - he had just taken my post the wrong way. And it scared me to think that, if he twisted this argument right, I could get banned for doing or saying something I didn’t do or say. And that was my fear during the whole argument. Needless to say I was justified in the end, but I always get nervous of that happening again, to anyone. It’s scary to be in a position where you feel helpless and made to seem like the culprit. I would just hate to see something like that happen to a member with the abuse of a report button.

And I’ll reiterate what’s already been clearly stated: our mods can deal with these issues, and if people would simply go to the mods first with their issues, there would be no need for a report button. Simple as that. If something offends you, take it up with a mod. You never know if the person posting it never intended for it to be offensive, but you just took it the wrong way.

little chef

little_chef: I think I know that person, and I may have had an inkling of that incident, but yeah, I’m really sorry that has happened to you, little_chef. No one should be wrongfully accused or intimidated for something that was misinterpreted or misconstrued.

Anyway, yeah. I don’t support the ‘Abuse’ button for this reason. Just want to reiterate that.