For the Future: PixarPlanet Convention!

My sister and I have had this idea brewing in our minds for about a year… and that is, wouldn’t it be incredible to actually have a PixarPlanet Convention - an IRL meet-up at a set location? Someday when I have adequate funds, I’d love to organize this and get as many members as we can involved.

And once we have the first one, we could even make it an annual thing if we save up enough money over the rest of the year. Who knows… maybe it will catch on and we’d get lots of donators. :slight_smile:

The dream location would be, obviously, Pixar, and have the entire group go on a tour of Pixar together. We could even hold our “award ceremony” for the PixarPlanet Awards at the Convention instead of over the internet. I think it’d be more exciting and personal and just so cool to actually see members being recognized for their contributions to the site.

Again, I’d love to organize it - get everyone’s plane tickets and hotel rooms booked, book the tour, and make name tags on lanyards for everyone with their usernames on it (so when you sign in at the Convention, you’ll be given your nametag with your PP username on it for others to identify you). I’d love to be able to do it all out of my own pocket too, because I love to give and want to bless all of you for everything you’ve put into my life. :slight_smile: However, I’m not sure when I’ll ever have the funds for my own trip to Cali, let alone who-knows-how-many other members’ fare! :laughing:

Who thinks this sounds like a good idea? Anyone have any more ideas for things we could plan to do at the convention? I can edit this post and add in you guys’ ideas as they start to come in, so we can make a sort of “check-list” of things we’d want to do at a PP Convention.

Again, I’m not even sure if/when this will ever happen, but it’s a great idea and I think it really needs to be done one of these days. If enough of us band together, come up with ideas, and raise money, I’m sure we could make it work someday! And it never hurts to start this thread and make a list of ideas to reference for the future, if it decides to become reality later on. :smiley:

little chef

I absolutely love the idea. It’d be amazing to meet the people that we’ve all being talking with for so long.

The problems for me personally occur when it comes to dealing with the cost (flights, accommodation, etc.) and having to travel such a long distance by myself to meet people that I’ve never met in person. I’m not saying I don’t trust you guys, but I’m not sure how happy my parents would be at the idea.

Still, I’d love it if this could come to fruition somehow.

Love the idea!

The only issue will be money and the fact that some of the members are actually out of the country. This could prove to be a dream reality though if it could be pulled of. Again LOVE the idea and wish it will work out…

That’s a great idea, little_chef!

The main challenges I see here are the logistical issues (who handles ticket bookings, accommodation, food, etc.), whether Pixar will permit us to go on a tour (I don’t know if this is open to the public, my perception of the studio is that it’s the ‘Fort Knox of Animation’), and how will we pool the money to pay for the expenses (not all active members are old enough to work or earn money yet).

But as I like to believe, nothing is impossible. It’s just a matter of how long it takes, and whether we have the determination to see it through. These are the two most important factors: time and passion.

Realistically, I can probably see myself attending in one-two years time, as I’m graduating mid next-year and moving out on my own (and hopefully starting my first job). All I’ll have to do for my part is earn enough money to buy a plane ticket to Cali from Sydney or Singapore and then it’s just a matter of paying for accommodation and food, and meeting everyone in a proposed rendezvous point.

If I have extra cash left over, I can probably just add it to the donation pool if one is set up. I won’t mind, I’d be an independent earner by then, but for the time being, I don’t want to ask my parents to pay for this event (they don’t even know I hang out on this forum to begin with).

Hopefully this thread is the seed of a great idea, and in due course, this forum will grow to finally meet the requirements of the project. Imagine… a Pixar Planet-Con! :slight_smile:

Thanks, guys! I thought it sounded like a pretty awesome idea, too! :smiley:

Haha, I’m actually in the same boat… I’m not sure how well this would fly with my folks, but if it happened in several years, I’d probably be on my own by then and would be able to pull it off. Pay for my own fare and such. I agree that this probably won’t ever become reality for several more years, but it doesn’t hurt to dream and come up with ideas in the mean time.

We’d also have to look into how Pixar handles tour bookings, and how many people are allowed at once. I’ll probably be doing research on that in later days. :slight_smile:

If we pull it together right, we’ll be able to get our international members involved as well. Though, not sure how many of them actually speak English alongside writing it, so hopefully we won’t have any language barrier issues! D:

little chef

PPCon. I love it!

I would so be down, and it would be awesome to see all of yall at the Mecca for Pixar fans, Emeryville! We could even go to Fenton’s Creamery!

If it ever happens in the near future, I’m pretty fortunate. Considering that I live a little over an hour from the East Bay. And as for my parental units? Pshldhh, I’m 18. I can do what I want.

Hmm, seems like a neat idea. :slight_smile:
I remember hearing a terrible story/joke concerning a forum con once… :shake:

If it ever happened, I wouldn’t go. Parents, money, blablabla. It’d be neat, though.

I’ve thought about this too!

It sounds like an amazing idea. Just thinking about it gets me excited. Meeting you all. In real life. At Pixar. It’s a dream come true. Can you imagine? sigh… looks into distance… :smiley: But seriously. To meet people that have the same passion as I do, and at the very place where all our friendships started. I can’t wait until it happens. I think this site is big enough that it could happen, maybe in a couple of years, after Pixar has a couple more films out.

My parents would be a problem though :smiley: I’m almost fifteen (one month :smiley:) and they won’t let me get a Facebook, let alone meet a bunch of “strangers” across the country. It’ll happen in a few years if it ever does though, so by then I’d be 18 or 19, maybe 20, and could provide my own funds and stuff. Maybe I could bring my friends along just so my parents aren’t as worried. :smiley:

And about the tour, I think maybe they’d let us. I mean, we’re Pixar Planet. We’ve been supporting them forever. It only seems right. And that Day and Night contest happened just with us here, so they might be kind enough to let us tour where all the magic happens. :smiley:

I can’t wait until… whenever it happens!

Neat idea, but my parents probably wouldn’t let me. :frowning:

YDDDD i sooooooo love this idea YD ^^‘’’ all my dreams about getting rich revolve around being a writer YDDD sooo maybe whenever i’m rich and famous i would love to pitch in ^^ YD untill then i’ll do my best to try and help in anyway i can YD
and maybe then for the kids that can’t go could have a prize thing from schools or something YD i’m all for scholorships and contests and stuff
id take sometime till things can be amazing but i think we all have time to spare

I would love,love,love LOVE to go when/if it happens, but I’m only 13, so unless one the 'rentals was with me… :frowning:

I gotta admit, I’ve fantasized about there being a Pixar convention somewhere. Not just exclusively for Pixar Planet, but for Pixar fans in general. They’d show movies, sell merchandise, have guests, maybe costume contests. That would be fun. Expensive though I’m sure, as conventions tend to be.

This would be a great idea, but if it ever happened make sure to make a video of it for us who won’t attend. ;-p

Best. Idea. Ever.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes!!! I don’t care how unrelistic it is, since we have members world wide, I’ve still always fantacized about this. I hope it does happen some day.

Yes, this would be so awesome!!! I would definitely go! Although how the heck I’ll be able to get down to Cali is beyond me. But that doesn’t matter!!!

And if having everyone go down to Emeryville seems a little unrealistic, may I suggest something? Perhaps we could have several smaller conventions, like one for a different section of the country. It might not as great as having everyone go down to the Pixar campus, but I think that that might be a little bit more likely, and then more people would be able to go.

This is something I definitely would attend. If we start planning early enough, cost really shouldn’t be that big of deal, so everybody start saving now.

Though it may be tough to secure, I think we at Pixar Planet have a greater chance of having a convention at Pixar than any other community in the world. After all, they did hoat the Day and Night contest here, and they invited martini833 to visit with the Pixar bloggers.

If this convention were to be held at Pixar and only members of Pixar Planet were invited, I think parents may be more willing to allow you to go. After all, if the trip is avoidable, how could they deny you the oppurtunity to visit Pixar?

Just a suggestion: If this convention ever does occur, we will need to create a cut off date of members joining that are invited. After all, membership to Pixar Planet could greatly spike solely becuase these new members want to visit Pixar, and then they wouldn’t really be a part of our community (defeating the purpose of the convention).

little chef
, if you need any help to ever make this convention of a reality, let me know. I would love to help. Perhaps we should form a planning committee? I’m sure the administration would be willing to facilitate such a committee. It’ll be tough to figure everything out by yourself!

I love the idea of a convention. I don’t know if I’d actually be able to make it though, even though I live in Cali, I live pretty far from Pixar, but I’d totally try to make it if something like this actually happened. I’ll admit, I’ve thought about this before, since there’s so many awesome members here it’s kinda hard not to think about hanging out with them in real life!

I was thinking the same thing… get a few very organized people to sort of “map out” the whole event, coordinate the booking of airfare and lodging (as long as we have an accurate count of the members coming, I don’t see how we couldn’t organize that ourselves… we’d just have to get the details from each member on where the closest airport is), and so on and so forth. I’d love to have your help, love, if we end up trying to get this thing off the ground. Again, it probably won’t come into fruition for another couple years, as personally I have no way of properly organizing it, but want to host it. Doesn’t hurt to start planning now, I guess! :smiley:

I understand that some of you may have “parental issues” with this idea (as my own parents probably would :laughing:), but I guess if you are age 18 or above, it wouldn’t matter… and even then if your parents are uncomfortable about you going out to meet people from the internet there could be some sort of permissions slip or letter to them or something, I guess. Members younger than 18 could always be accompanied by a parent, too. And like love said… why would anyone want to deny you to visit the studio of your dreams… the place you may someday be working at? :wink:

I think the first step would be to gather up a general idea of just how many members are both interested in going (so we can plot out how feasible it will be to get them to the convention, especially if it involves those “parental issues” and the problem of them being overseas) and those who would actually plan on attending, so we can get some early numbers. :slight_smile:

little chef