Posting PDF link

I’m not sure who can help me with this.

I want to post up my fanfic, but I am “paranoid” and don’t want anyone to take my ideas (LOL), so I saved the prologue as a PDF file. The story so far is about 200 pgs, so I thought it would be a better idea to save PDFs for each chapter. Does PP support a PDF link (to a file saved on my computer), or do I have to post the text itself on the site?

I don’t feel comfortable about putting it on fanfic.net at this point, but I have had lots of people wanting to read my Ratatouille fanfiction. I’m just a bit confused about what to do. :confused:

Thank you for your help.

little_chef_eva09-red-

Aren’t PDF’s downloadable to people’s computers? So what is the difference between letting people read it that way rather then just posting it? The thing about fan-fiction, is that if you are writing about already existing characters, you can’t sell the story anyway. Of course, anytime you are letting other people read your material, especially over the internet, there is a risk that people reading it, may use it without you knowing.

If you have any really good ideas that you want to keep for use outside of your fan-fiction, then it is a good idea to be cautious when posting it on various sites.

well people can download PDFs to their computer, but they can’t edit the text in the file.

But I see what you are saying… guess it goes both ways. :unamused:

It’s not that I would “sell” my ideas or anything… it’s just that my ideas for the different characters of the movie are unique to me, and I want people to know plain and clear that I was the author of those ideas. I guess that’s my main concern.

It’s taken me a long time to write this story, and I would hate to see my ideas thrown around the internet with another name attached to them. In the actual file, I keyed in information such as my name under the author field, and it is unchangeable. So if people download the PDF, will they be able to see all that under the document properties?

I apologize for all the questions… I would just really like to get my fanfic on the web and feel somewhat okay about it. Thank you for your help, C-3PO. :slight_smile:

Well, in that case, the PDF would probably be slightly better in a way, unless someone wanted to retype it out. As for uploading a PDF file here, I don’t know much about that. You can post a link to it if it’s already online though…

There is a ‘How to…’ thread, but I don’t think that this is covered there. You could maybe post this question about uploading PDF’s there.

Hello, red! It’s nice to see you on the boards. :smiley:

I’m a member of a website known as deviantArt, and when artists submit their work they have the option to attach a “Creative Commons” license to it so as people may only use their compositions – be them written or drawn – if granted permission by the original author/artist. You can learn more about this license/corporation via its official website, which can be located here:

creativecommons.org/

Use of the licenses provided is free, so you don’t have to worry about digging through your pockets to pay for a service charge.

As for whether or not you would be able to load/submit a PDF file/link onto this website, that is uncertain in my case. I know that Pixar Planet supports BBCode and not HTML, but that’s pretty much the limit of my knowledge of the technical side of things here. I’m not a “teckie” junkie. (snigger) However, Pixar Planet moderator Mell_O_Drama is excellent in that field, which is why she’s in charge of web design here. If you’re having further problems, I’m sure that she’d be able to assist you! :wink:

I hope that I was able to provide you with some helpful information. All the best in sharing your story with everyone!

– Mitch