Episode 007 - 2008-07-22

The newest episode of Radio Pixar is now available. This episode is shorter than subsequent episodes are planned to be, but you’ll nevertheless hear all the latest Pixar news, as well as a few clues about hidden Easter eggs in Pixar’s latest film, WALL-E.

Episode 008 is due out in two weeks. If you’d like to send in your feedback in time for the next episode, feel free to post it here, or send it via email to radiopixar [at] gmail dot com.

Thanks for listening!

Hey, finally! It sounds awesome dude.

Except for my segment. I feel like I can do better with the delivery of my trvia question. Oh well, probably next time.

Again, great one. I can not wait to help with the next one.

This is so exciting, I’m gonna go listen to it.
Just one question, can you introduce yourself Nijhazer, I want to know more about how you came to be on the Radio Pixar staff.
Also, why is Jon Voight in the little picture instead of the radio Pixar logo?
EDIT: I’ve heard the podcast and I’ve got to say it was phenomenal. It touched on everything that was big as of late regarding Pixar, and what’s great is if you are a non-blog reader (not me just sayin’), it’ll get you up to date.
BTW you have a very radio announcer-y voice. :wink:

Yay! New podcast! I’ll listen to it first thing tomorrow. :smiley:

And I’m with martini- I’d love to find out more about you, Nijhazer, since you’re involved in such an important part of the Pixar Planet domain. :smiley:

Certainly.

I first learned about podcasting in early 2005 after reading an article in Wired Magazine on the subject. Podcasting was and is the ideal form of passive audio entertainment for me, largely replacing audiobooks and talk radio; and soon after discovering what podcasts were, I decided to try making one of my own. The result was Broadcast Gamer, a podcast about video games that I publish every two weeks.

I’m also a fan of animation, particularly Pixar’s films-- I don’t think any of us would dispute that they’re the most talented major animation studio in North America right now-- so I’ve been a regular visitor to Pixar Planet for a few months now. The long period between episodes of Radio Pixar was somewhat frustrating, enough so that I wrote to Dash and offered to help out with the show.

I’m not sure yet what form the show is going to take in the coming months. I didn’t have as much time to work on Episode 007 as I had hoped I would, and I’m still working on coming up with ideas for a better show format.

I posted the episode at two in the morning, and was having trouble finding the Radio Pixar logo; so I just put a random picture of Christopher Walken in there instead.

Oh boy, here we go…

I’m sorry to say that this is the first Radio Pixar episode I didn’t enjoy. When I first noticed the image of Christopher Walken instead of the usual logo, I knew instantly that something was up. Keeping an open mind, I proceeded with watching the show. That’s when it really hit me. Instead of the usual logo, again, the Christopher Walken image was present (which made me actually forget what type of show I was watching), followed by transitions of going into the actual logo, and going right back to the wrong image. :confused: As well, there were I believe, 1:46 (1 minute, 46 seconds) worth of audio during this which annoyed me to no end. Lastly, and while I’m aware that the usual crew wasn’t on board for this paticular show, the information or whatever given by Nijhazer was… oh lord, how can I say this nicely? It seemed fairly rushed in delivery to me, and, and this is what really did it for me, I… I forgot the majority if not all of what he said after viewing the episode. Usually, I remember vividly. That was the final nail in the coffin. So, at least for me, the episode was completey forgetable.

Personally, I find this to be the worst Radio Pixar episode yet. And I never thought I’d say that ever.

Bill- Wow… harsh. You might want to tone it down next time you put someone down like that. In my opinion it was an excellent episode. :smiley:
The only thing I agree on is the Christopher Walkin image, it’s annoying. :slight_smile:

Well, that’s just how I feel about the episode at this moment in time. I may have a change of heart given time, and I offer my sincere apoligies to anyone who was offended, paticularly Nijhazer. :blush:

Please don’t feel as if your criticism will be poorly-received-- far from it. Suggestions on how you feel the show could be improved upon are encouraged. Without your feedback, improving the show will be much more difficult.

To address some of the things you mentioned:

1. The news segment, which was admittedly the bulk of this episode. Generally I keep news bits short unless I’m recording with a partner, a luxury I don’t currently have. I’ll experiment with some long-form reporting methods and see if I can come up with something better.

2. 1:46 of audio that annoyed you… I’m sorry, could you be more specific?

3. The Christopher Walken thing. Sorry if anyone was bothered by this, but i really didn’t think it would be an issue. I put the Walken image in there as a logo for display on iPods, but Podomatic apparently did some other things with the audio file when it was posted. I’ll refrain from including it next time, but keep in mind that this is intended as an audio podcast only; and as such, I won’t be including any images other than the logo.

I have to say I loved your news segment, if you HAVE to cut it down for some reason, don’t do it by much, it’s really good. Why don’t you keep its length, and since episodes later will be longer, add some more stuff to the extra time alloted for future episodes.
Some more people need to comment on the episode, I want to know what others think too…

Nijhazer - Yes, I should’ve been more specific in regards to the audio. The end credits bit at the end of Cars was used, or, I think, the majority of it. That, as well as the backround music of Finding Nemo. I just thought, “This is taking a long time to get through… when will the crew start coming in?” In the future, I think it would be best to cut those types of things down somewhat. And don’t get me wrong about the delivery of the news segment. Now that I look back on it, your delivery wasn’t rushed at all. :wink:

Since the last time I wrote some Radio Pixar feedback, I went on a bit much, so I’ll try and make this succinct.

Pros: - liked the use of background music while talking, but maybe we could change it to Pixar music - this is just my personal preference, though. But the music you did choose was very calming.

• the host has a good “radio voice.”
  • Very up-to-date news, for a change. Heh. It’s awesome hearing Pixar news this way, since I’m used to reading it here and on Upcoming Pixar only (but both mediums are good.)
  • I liked the use of “First Date”, made me laugh. “BUDDAH-BAAAAAAH”
  • A very professional-sounding show, on par with the other Radio Pixar shows.

Cons: - would have preferred a shorter intro, minus the Cars credits audio but the Finding Nemo music was nice.

• I’d like the option to skip forward or rewind the show, you can’t do this with the embedded player.
  • When you played the interview snippet with Andrew Stanton for example, could you turn the background music down a lower? But I really liked the use of other audio on the web integrated with this podcast.
  • Maybe have more different people involved in the show. No matter what type of voice you have (and you have a very good one - nice tone, neutral American accent, variations in the way you speak), listening to the same person talk for a long time can get… samey. Variety is the spice of life, and different people will bring different ideas to the show, as well as make listeners perk up when they hear a different voice (hint, hint)
  • the summary for episode 7 isn’t up yet on the Radio Pixar page. I’d like to know specifically what’s going to be in the show so I can avoid spoilers.
  • Could we have verbal spoiler warnings?
  • More segments next time and a bit faster paced.

Anyway, it’s nice to meet you Nijhazer. :slight_smile: You sound like a real professional, and it’s good to have Radio Pixar back on the air again. I take it you are a fan of Pixar, as well as being a fan of podcasts? That’s a good combo…

The Star Swordsman, nice to hear your voice, too. :wink: I thought your trivia segment was great.

As for listener participation, I’d love to help out with the show and being on air has been a dream of mine for a year now… I have lots of other ideas for segments and changes to the format of show (seriously, a whole page written down) and I’m a pretty reliable person and am good with editing, as well. So if you are interested in more of what I have to say about the show and would like some help producing segments, you can send me a private message anytime. =)

Oh, and if I had seen WALL•E, I would send my comments but once again, the delayed release date for the movie in Australia has ruined things for me yet again. Errrrrgh.

I hope everyone will join me in congratulating our new director and host on a job well done! I wish you all could truly appreciate the hard work he has put into this behind the scenes. All of the praise is well deserved and the criticism well appreciated. This is only the beginning of what I can promise will be a great thing, especially as we work out the kinks and get a good group together to staff this. I’m happy to say I will be back on the air with Nijhazer for episode 008 and we’re already hard at work putting it together. Please keep those reviews and comments rolling because we want to make this your podcast and be all that you want us to be.

Nijhazer - Thanks so much and amazing work! You exceeded my expectations for rolling out Radio Pixar and I don’t think it could possibly be in better hands! =D

I have to say, I really enjoyed that episode! It wasn’t perfect, but I can’t even begin to imagine how difficult it is to make something like that. I enjoyed all of the in-depth information about WALL-E, and Nijhazer’s voice is perfect for the podcast. Your contribution was brilliant too, TSS, with a good trivia question to break up the show.

I have to agree with the others on certain points, such as the intro being a little too long, and having another person or two involved will create a more interesting variety of voices. The idea of having a discussion about WALL-E is really cool, and I think that these things, and other new ideas, will make the future episodes even better. But well done, Nijhazer, on your first Pixar Planet Podcast! :smiley:

I must admit that the latest installment of Radio Pixar was magnificently executed, cleverly crafted, and enjoyable as a whole. The information delivered was, I thought, presented in a very smooth fashion, the articles were interesting, and the overall experience was pleasant.

The only complaints that I have are the same as everyone else’s. I would have preferred the introduction to be cut by, perhaps, half the amount of time that it ran for, and an option to fast forward to a particular section of the podcast would be nice. (I also wouldn’t mind it if the trivia question was a bit more difficult, but that’s just me, as I love answering extremely hard interrogatives. Heheh.)

My compliments to Nijhazer for making the latest podcast happen, and to The Star Swordsman for his contribution, as well! You both did a fantastic job putting this episode together! :smiley:

– Mitch

Thanks Mitch. I think the audio quality for my triva question was realy, really (insert R rated word in here), but I promise to do better next time.

The Star Swordsman - You’re welcome!

Oh, no worries. I suppose that the audio quality was a bit sketchy, but I was still able to hear you just fine. Great question, by the way! :wink:

– Mitch

It wasn’t easy picking out the question Mitch. I swear I had a list of maybe 5-7 questions. It isn’t easy because I wanted to pick a question that wasn’t too easy that anyone could get wven without watching the movie. BUt I don’t want to make it so impossibly hard.

The Star Swordsman - Wow. You had that many? Well, it’s good to have a variety, I suppose.

Mmm. Yeah, that’s true. A question shouldn’t be so difficult to the point that hardly anyone can get it. I think that you chose the perfect question, actually; it wasn’t too hard, yet it wasn’t extremely simplistic either.

– Mitch

Thanks Mitch. I think I am going to try something new for my next question.