Wall-E on DVD Release Dates -- 2 discs?

It’s kind of ironic that I haven’t been able to find a confirmed date for Wall-E’s North American video release (is there one yet? I’ve seen Nov 4th as speculation, but as far as I can tell, it’s not confirmed).

But I just spotted the advertisement for the normal and BluRay UK release from Tesco’s website – and it’s November 28th (for the UK).

EDIT: The site has been changed, and now shows November 24th as the new UK release date.

Normal DVD release (UK, Tesco):
tesco.com/entertainment/prod … ?R=874338&

BluRay DVD release (UK, Tesco):
tesco.com/entertainment/prod … ?R=874335&

Note that both the BluRay AND Normal DVD release information state “2 discs.” This may be incorrect (why would BluRay need 2 discs?) And even if it’s just the normal DVD that has 2-discs in the UK, it means nothing for the US release (the UK release of Ratatouille had 2 discs, but the American release was just 1 disc).

I wonder if there are any confirmed dates for North America.

I also wonder if there will be any “special offers” such as the nice steelbook version of Ratatouille that was available from FutureShop in Canada, or extras, like the extra disc from Target.

And to those living where it hasn’t yet even been released theatrically… it’s coming out soon (except poor Japan). Do see it in a theatre (and go to a good theatre with good projection and sound).

EDIT: I find it interesting that Buena Vista Home Video will release a Region 2 DVD (the UK release) before the movie is even released theatrically in Japan (another Region 2 country). Since both Europe and Japan are Region 2 for DVDs, a European DVD will play just fine in a Japanese DVD player (the PAL/NTSC thing shouldn’t matter as just about all DVD players can now play either PAL or NTSC and output in their local video standard). Disney should have released Wall-E in the summer in Japan, as they did with Ratatouille last year (July).

Did they get more extra features?

North American release info will be available on the 22nd.

For additional features?

As I said in the blog post, I think that the second disc may include The Pixar Story documentary as has been rumoured to be included on the DVD.

The UK Tesco site mentioned is now listing both DVD and BluRay as being released on 24th November, not the 28th.

I wish we could get a more official confirmation of the various release dates. :slight_smile:

The 28th is like a week after my birthday. Well, I know what I’m asking my parents for as a (slightly delayed) birthday present. :laughing:

Yeah, as release dates go, they do seem to mess around with things a bit. But at least we know a sort of general release time.

That’s a good point, miafka, concerning Japan’s release date and it being region 2. It just doesn’t make sense that they’ve left their release date to be so far behind.

EDIT: I didn’t notice this when I first looked at the picture, but when I read what Upcoming Pixar had to say about it, it just doesn’t make sense that WALL-E is on Earth, yet there’s Earth behind him. They couldn’t make such a stupid mistake like that for the front cover of a DVD, could they?

Funny what 12 hours will do. Less than 12 hours ago, it was listed as the 28th (as it was on other sites – which probably get their feed from Tesco), and now as Irongiant pointed out, the new date is the 24th.
lizardgirl, remember that Wall-E leaves Earth and goes out into space for his adventure to the Axiom. I guess it’s just a stylized interpretation.

bawpcwpn, hm… could be. I guess we’ll have to wait an see.

eerik, normally BluRay doesn’t need 2 discs (as a “normal” DVD might for all the extra features). BluRay discs have a lot more storage. I’m guessing it’s just a mistake where it still says “2 discs” under BluRay (they proabably just copied that from the normal DVD page).

The November video date is so that it will be out in time for parents to buy it for Xmas. I’m sure North America will get a November date as well, just not yet known when in November.

(Off topic, but I just love Tesco advertising that if you order it through their Jersey subsidiary you don’t have to pay VAT [tax]. I guess it’s nice to have a tax-exempt island to go through, huh?)

A few other online stores do that too, such as Amazon UK (for some of its sales) and play.com to name but two.

Well about the Blu-Ray, it shouldn’t need a second DVD, but what bawpcwpn said about The Pixar Story sounds very possible. I hope that’s true.

The reason I didn’t like the last American poster was because I noticed that dumb mistake, hope someone realizes…
I hope the US release is on November 4th, we’ll just have to wait two weeks for the info on the 22nd. :sunglasses:

miafka- I guess it could be a stylized interpretation, but still, it does seem a bit silly and nonsensical. And it would really bother me if this were indeed the front cover of the DVD case.

I shouldn’t worry about it, it’s the content that counts and that is bound to be superb. :smiley:

First, 2 disc blu-rays are not out of the norm. I have several titles in my blu-ray collection with 2 (or even more) discs- the Pirates movies, The Golden Compass, Narnia are all 2 disc sets, heck I’ve got a 5 disc set with Blade Runner.

But the fact of a 2 disc release for Wall-E is not surprising, but I feel we’re just the DVD is gonna be barebones as with Cars and Ratatouille. Remember how Disney announced that starting with Nightmare Before Christmas later this month that all major titles will get a digital copy included (for ipods and that sorta thing), and having seen a few digital copies in recent months, they’ve been included as on a second disc that contains just that (don’t know why, can’t they just put the redemption code on an insert telling people to go to itunes?).

So, there you have it: disc 1 will be a barebones release with the movie, Presto, some deleated scenes (or whatever), and some promo stuff for Up, then disc 2 will be your ipod digital copy.

Very strange how I haven’t even seen the movie yet, and here we are talking about the DVD release. Heheh.

I actually like the cover, even though apparently it doesn’t make sense. I don’t think it would be possible to have a bad cover for WALL•E, but I don’t doubt Disney’s ability to make a bad cover happen. :wink:

I wouldn’t be happy if the second DVD disc ended up being The Pixar Story documentary because it deserves its own separate release, and it would look better on the shelf to have all of the Pixar DVDs (+ VHSs and Blu-Rays) and then have the Pixar Story DVD alongside it. It’s not as if The Pixar Story is just a DVD extra, it is a presentation in its own right.

Maybe Disney listened to us last year (or more like Pixar), and their releases from now on will be back to the 2-discs prior to Cars… Stranger things have happened. I really hope they have the audio commentary for WALL•E on the normal release this time, but something tells me they won’t.

The digital copy idea is dumb - you already have a copy of the movie, all you need to do is learn how to rip the DVD and convert the file to whatever format. I know not everyone is computer literate, but I’d much, much rather have a second disc with DVD extras, than a copy of the movie I already have. But I’m liking the idea of 2 Blu-Ray discs (even though I don’t have a Blu-Ray player, yet) - imagine the quality and quantity of the extras!

Hope there is a DVD give away, especially if it’s lithos or something else cool. There were about four different giveaways from various stores with Ratatouille

Maybe, with HD-DVD dead, they don’t feel the need to push Blu-Ray so much.

Because it’s illegal thanks to the wonderful DMCA :confused: To rip a DVD requires breaking the CSS encryption. Pretty messed up. This is in the USA at least.

I ripped it fine in the UK.

Ripping a DVD really only requires a single program/download. The legality issue is about the equivalent of going 2 mph over the speed limit.

As long as You don’t sell it on/upload it in it’s entirety you should be fine/

I will definetly get this at Christmas time for myself. :smiley:

yeah the idea’s dumb, but that’s what will (unfortunately) happen.