Wall-E DVD Sales

In it’s first week of release, Wall-E sold 6,203,203 copies. This will be the place to basically keep track of the number as it goes up to see how many DVD’s Wall-E has sold. I don’t know about anyone else, but I always like to see where movies are at in how many copies are selling.

Also, with Wall-E having sold 6,203,203 copies amidst it’s first week of release, that brought in $112,073,889.

Source: [url]http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php[/url]

It’s updated weekly, so if you look at this link next week, the number will have changed, because the page changes, but the link doesn’t, and eventually, Wall-E will be off the list.

So…Hopefully this isn’t a dud thread…I just like to see this stuff, so I thought I’d share it with you all :slight_smile:

Also, to compare, Ratatouille sold 4,919,574 copies it’s first week and to date has sold 12,438,283 copies. [url]http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/RATUL-DVD.php[/url] So if this is saying anything, I see Wall-E as selling roughly 14-16 million copies! Way to go Pixar! :slight_smile:

Wow…and just in time for the Christmas rush…perfect.

Thanks for the info Shockerz.

So with $488M + Japan theatrical take + ~300M dvd sales + cd sales + merchandising, the $180M to make Wall•E has been turned over into nearly, or perhaps over, a billion bucks. Not bad. I actually read an article several weeks after release claiming that it was not a money maker for Pixar, that is was disappointing. Well, somewhere I also read they were expecting around $300M domestic, but only will get about $225M, unless it gets a major nomination.

Great news re the DVD sales.

Out of interest, is there any site that lists the UK DVD sales, or a site that lists by country?

Awesome! Go WALL-E!

Of course, that’s still a loong way if we wanna beat Nemo. Over 40 million copies. xD But that’s the best selling DVD of all time, and isn’t exactly a bad movie either, so no pressure. xDDD

Ooh, thanks for the information, Shockerz. I hadn’t really thought about DVD sales, but good to know that WALL-E is already doing really well.

Netbug009- Wow, I never realised that Finding Nemo sold so well on DVD!

It’s nice to know many people are buying it. I see Kung Fu Panda is also doing pretty well.

Those are some nice numbers! WALL-E deserves it 100%!

Very nice! Can’t wait to see how Wall-E does in week 2!

Hold on, does this include Itunes downloads?

It sold that many? Holy cow. That makes whatever Nemo made in the theaters just an appetizer for its dvd sales. Pixar must be bursting with cash after that, no wonder it could spend so much on Rat and Wall•E

Top domestic theatrical gross 2008:
1)Dark Knight
2)Iron Man
3)Kingdom of Crystal Skull
4)Hancock
5)Wall•E

However, by dvd sales, Wall•E has already beaten out all but Batman, and I’m assuming this is the case with Hancock, which was released on Nov. 25th. I didn’t even see that movie in my supermarket or record store, even tho Hellboy2 was quite prominent. Well, actually the latest chart says that Wall•E is 2nd to Iron Man for 2008, but that won’t last the next chart revision.

Thus for 2008, it’s Dark Knight vs. WALL•E when it comes to the dvd:

dvdtown.com/news/dvdblu-ray- … -imdb/6122

I find it amazing that in its first week of sales WALL-E is second only to Iron Man, a movie that has had to be on the charts for 8 weeks to be where it is now. WALL-E will easily surpass that although I’m certain that The Dark Knight will trounce WALL-E (if theatrical sales are anything to go by).

However, I’m sure that The Dark Knight and WALL-E will hold the top two sales positions for some time to come.

Most people would probably agree with you, Batman will exceed Wall-E even in dvd. But if you read that link right above, you would see that animated features do better than regular movies. I’m not a marketeer, but it makes sense. People who are willing to shell out 20 bucks are usually heads of households, as in families. They aren’t the typical 15-25 year old crowd that make up the majority of Dark Knight’s crowd. People with money and better taste buy dvd’s, such as History Channel dvd’s, which are everywhere. And the image quality of our favorite film is a potent marketing advantage.

Animated features seem timeless, whereas today’s action movies usually don’t last 15 years. Even Titanic looked dowdy after 5 years. Still, Wall-E just isn’t the powerhouse that Nemo was, and going up against Batman, we both know who will win.

Ok, week#2 dvd results are in for the U.S., and Wall•E has added 2.4M copies to garner over 8,070,000 sold. That’s about $142M total revenue, still $15M short of its only serious released rival: Iron Man, whose sales soared this past week, the Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S.

the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/2008.php

Somehow the numbers don’t add up. They said last week that it sold 6.2M copies, and have downgraded the first week’s sales, I guess with better tabulations.

Hancock was actually the #1 title of the Nov.25-Dec2 period, racking up 3M copies sold. (My local supermarket still has 15 copies left over, a sad performance.) Next week Wall•E will either close in on or pass up its rival to get the #1 spot, that is until the Dec. 9 release of Batman. Perhaps our very favorite flying metal superhero will pass our 2nd favorite flying metal superhero during that week, only to be shortly passed up by our favorite gliding rubber superhero.

Edit: Wall-E dvd sales disappointing to Disney compared to Ratatouille? Pixar Blog just reported today that some Chief so-and-so said this at a conference. How very strange. The Rat did around 12-13M dvd sales. Here is the link:
pixarblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/w … ehind.html

I know a certain robot who could supply this executive with a special high energy lightbulb that pulsates with sound even, and can dispel the gloomy cloud he has fallen under.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this.

Those sound like great numbers to me. Glad to hear it’s doing so well.

Apparently there’s a reccession on. :wink: No matter. Glad to see people are still willing to spend money on movies! Especially awesome ones like Dark Knight and WALL-E

Week #3 results: only 840,000 copies sold. This was a big 65% fall, same as Hancock. Caspian was the big release of this week, as mediocre as it was. Total take is $154M, $10M behind the #1 overall for 2008 slot with Iron Man. Batman is selling briskly, if my supermarket is any indication, but they didn’t sell out…like Wall•E did. Batman results next week! Hold on Wall-E!!

Kung Fu Panda still doing well. Wal-Mart prefers to show this film over others to sell its monitors and tv’s because of its superior colors and the superb care taken to a 3-D look and lighting.

I observed a dramatic rise in dvd sales in the week before and after Xmas last year. People are home and with family and they want to all watch something. The arts films out now don’t have the big buzz of summer flicks. I hope that Disney/Pixar takes advantage of this and the Oscar buzz and splashes some ads.

Week #4: 586,000 copies sold, so:

WALL•E now is ranked #1 so far for 2008 with 9.4M units sold!

Batman sold a huge number of copies during the week, and will probably unseat our favorite yellow friend shortly, despite the tidal wave of nominations. This past week was disappointing. New releases undoubtedly grabbed a lot of attention. When I asked one parent why she was buying the dvd, she said that “it’s a gift, for one of the kids, and it’s Christmas, something to keep the other kids occupied.” Kung-Fu Panda is reaping those rewards too, in a big way.

Now last year Ratatouille rose several hundred thousand copies in the days before Xmas, selling an extra million over what it would have done otherwise. It was released on Nov 6, 2007. Will our friend do the same, or continue to decline/stagnate? Stay tuned…

Tom Staggs, Disney CFO on Dec. 9th at a conference: "The company also faces tough comparisons and selective consumers in holiday DVD sales, where the weaker performing ‘Prince Caspian’ and ‘Wall-E’ must match up against last year’s blockbuster ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End’ and international Disney-Pixar hit ‘Ratatouille,’ Staggs said.

‘The DVD business is going to see some impact from the downturn. How much remains to be seen,’ he said. ‘‘Wall-E’ is doing well but we’re not sure it will do the numbers that ‘Ratatouille’ did.’

Well, in answer to that, the Rat did 11.2M domestic dvd sales by January 2008 and 12.44M by Jan. 2009, and the original poster of this thread predicted after week#1 that our friend would pass that by a million or two. But it is true that early summer theatrical box was high, late summer and early fall was stale. Also the past 2 weeks have been mediocre. But total 2008 box office is almost exactly the same as 2007. Dvd’s: 32 titles have sold over 2M copies, as opposed to 59 last year by mid-February. I don’t actually have good numbers to compare here, but it’s possible both Batman and Wall•E can exceed 13M sales at the top, just like last year. Ok, here is a link I found on 2008 dvd sales:

bloggingstocks.com/2008/11/2 … s-falling/

This is from the-numbers:
"December 1, 2008: DVD Sales - WALL-E Sales Out of this World

WALL-E was the biggest new release of the week, as it topped the sales chart with an impressive 6.20 million units sold and $112.07 million in consumer retail spending. This is the best opening week for a DVD since At World’s End sold more than 8 million units during its opening week last year and it instantly puts the DVD into second place for the year."

Did you get the joke in bold above?

DarkHand - Keep it up! Interesting to hear the numbers!

Nods head

I most certainly did, DarkHand! Thanks for the figures! :slight_smile:

Week #5: +780,000 sales.

Batman has unseated our favorite yellow friend, for now, passing by a few hundred thousand. Wall•E has had new competition from Horton Hears a Who, a superb animated film. But we are still in firm 2nd place for the year, as expected.

Actually, based on last years Rat performance and timing, I was expecting him to do about 1.5M sales in these two weeks, still one more week to go of the really big Xmas bulge, then just two weeks after that of lower sales, then Wall-E will slip to around 30-100K sales per week, depending on Oscar award status.

Retail Store Report. One major reason why Wall•E could be doing better: half the time you can’t find it. Either lesser, newer releases have swamped the main promotional counters, or it has sold out, with perhaps a few Blu-rays left over, or the special cardboard fixture that Disney sent the store has been relegated to the rear, or they even sometimes put other films like silly Hancock in the Wall•E fixtures!

I went to my record store 2 weeks ago and it wasn’t even displayed anywhere, but was in its regular bin with the other animated features. That week it had just become the #1 dvd of the year. Now this week it is right by the checkout counter next to Batman. My grocery store, Safeway, which sells a lot of dvd’s, has the wrong vendor relationship, and gets either seconds or first-week releases. I’ve complained. Seven-eleven has all the top sellers behind the counter, at full price. Wal-Mart had the movie in a rear fixture with other titles oddly in its special cardboard slots, and was sold out in the new releases section. Dark Knight was completely sold out at this store, except for a couple blu-rays. Now, after Xmas, the special Wal-Mart display is gone and those remaining copies went to a rack near the cash register. Admittedly, the place was in a mess both times, tons of Xmas shoppers.