Movie localizations

Are you satisfied with localization of Wall-e in your country?

• Yes, it is done well
  • It is indifferent to me
  • It is awful
  • It is English and I can do nothing with that

0 voters

At last got the official DVD. As I told before, it came with five languages on it - English, Ukrainian, Russian, Latvian and Lithuanian. I watched it again (4th time - cool) in English, but also scrolled through some scenes with Russian and Ukrainian languages selected. Also I have watched the rip with Russian unofficial translation. Here’s my review.
The first one is about Ukrainian. I’ll rate it 4 out of 5. Voices are selected ok. The overlay is smooth - you even don’t notice the xfade between the original stream (Weisung? Meirei?..) and the translation.
The picture is not translated, and it may seem outdated, but later I understood that it wasn’t needed - the Ukrainians appear to understand English quite well.
Now, its bad points. Eve’s name is translated into our equivalent, which sounds too unpleasant - Eva ['jeva]. The voice is also distorted - it doesn’t express all emotions. ‘Plant’ became ‘Flora’ (‘roslyna’ would probably be too hard for Eve to say). Directive was left ‘directive’ (‘directivah’ as it comes in Ukr).
I like the new voice of McCrea, but can’t say anything about Auto - now I realize I have forgot to audire it. ‘Septuacentennial’ was understood and I apply its translation, but it sounded like the cake had seven years of its yet existence.
Now - the Russian ones. I can admit that the unofficial one, despite all its lapses, is a bit better than the official. The official one has the translated picture, and it seems cool, except for two 'but’s. It is lame - it can be there in one scene and can miss in other (the word ‘Diagnostics’ in Repair Ward is translated only until Wall-e breaks throgh it). Overall, the picture translation is made only for one purpose (excuse me) - the Russians will NEVER be able to master English. The translation proves it.
The voices are selected and synched ok, but the way the characters speak is awful, Eve is Eva again, Wall-e is not ['vo:li] but ['va:li]. For voicing Auto they definitely used MacInTalk.
Now, the worst. ‘Directive’ is translated as ‘Program’ - it is awful. In the unofficial (the voices come along with the original, they do not override it) ‘Directive’ is localized more precisely (‘zadanie’). But the voices in the unofficial are beyond any criticizm.
The most hilarious thing happened with ‘Septuacentennial’. They simply couldn’t understand that. They translated ‘Free’ and ‘Cupcake in a cup’ and turned Septuacentennial into Septuacentenarial, and it sounded as follows - ‘bas-plut-nee septuacentee-nur-nee tor-teeck v chush-key’ :smiley:
What was MO I couldnt understand. It was something like ‘Doc’ or ‘Mock’ That was a last straw. Indeed.

Have you watched Wall-e translated? Tell us your opinion.

[edited later]
Sorry for the mess above - that was me slowly tapping on my PDA, so I have to apologise about the unclear text above. I will attach screenshots of the scenes and audio samples within a week.
Also I see I forgot to add an option ‘It is quite normal’ (for the translations which are not brilliant and not awful). This may show how the extremal person I am. For those who thought the translation was of moderate quality, select ‘it is done well’. As for me, I haven’t watched the entire movie translated, and I wouldn’t like to do that. I like the original, and I think it is much better to watch movies in original, especially when their language is English. This adds extra experience to your foreign language skills development.

I’ve never watched WALL-E with a translation before, but it sounds cool. I live ain the USA and find it very helpful to learn foreign languages while translation is on.

No I have not, but I’ve watched Finding Nemo (Buscando a Nemo) in Spanish class before and it translated slightly different then the english at parts…

For example, when Crush, Marlin, and the rest of the turtles say “duuuude” they said “tiooo” (uncle)

which my teacher pointed out. .

But other thant that I didn’t see many differences.

As far as Wall-E goes, I’ll try to watch it in Spanish this week and see what sounds different, and how it translates.

I’d say that’s a good translation :laughing: It’s the usual.

As for Wall·e, I’ve seen it both in Spanish and English (without subtitles, you put subtitles on Wall·e and you destroy the beauty of it :laughing: ). The original English is cooler to me.

Really? Tio is the equivelant of “dude”? cool! :smiley: