Hello, Dolly! discussion

Have you seen ‘Hello, Dolly!’ and did you like it?

• I have seen it long before Wall-e and I liked it
  • I have seen it long before Wall-e and I disliked it
  • I have seen Walle and I decided to watch H,D! and liked it
  • I have seen Walle and I decided to watch H,D! and disliked it
  • I have seen Walle but that was not a reason why I decided to watch H,D, liked
  • I have seen Walle but that was not a reason why I decided to watch H,D, disliked
  • I have seen Walle and I do not want to watch Hello, Dolly!

0 voters

Hello, Dolly! is not a Pixar feature film, and even not a Disney’s one. Anyway it is somehow connected with Wall-e, so I think there are a few people who were interested in this movie as well.
Do you think Hello, Dolly was a proper choice to use its parts in Wall-e? What are your overall thoughts?

I’ve owned Hello, Dolly! for a while now, and have yet to watch it. It’s appearance in Wall-E is just another excuse for me to watch it.

What about the people who have seen WALL-E, and want to see H.D? :stuck_out_tongue:

After watching WALL-E, I made a mental note to see Hello, Dolly! and actually ended up seeing it on TV the other day, on BBC 1, if I remember correctly. I wasn’t paying attention to it the whole time, I’ll admit, but was only really watching it to see the ‘WALL-E parts’. I didn’t really like it, especially as I’m not a fan of musicals or of films of that sort, but I do still think that the decision to include some Hello, Dolly! songs in WALL-E was the right one. They’re so iconic, and the contrast between past and present and traditional values and all that sort of thing adds so much depth to the film.

For those who haven’t seen Hello, Dolly yet, please do not vote until you watch (or realize that you do not intend to watch) it.
I liked the movie! It may seem strange to hear that the lad of 16 y.o. liked the movie from 1969, but that is a fact. It is the way a real musical is to be - not like nowaday High School Musicals :yuck:
The movie is optimistic. It cheers you up. It is a joyful symphony of life! It is a holiday forever and ever :slight_smile:
And I think it was a good choice to have a reference of in in Wall-e.

You can see it on some sort of Youtube or other venues, outtakes, probably because it was on broadcast TV somewhere. The bits I’ve seen were given links from this website and included ‘Put on Your Sunday Clothes’ and ‘It Only Takes a Moment’, along with a Michael Crawford appearance in recent years on stage entertaining the audience with his story of how he came to be associated with Hello Dolly thru Gene Kelly.

The film in 1969 received mixed reviews and some nominations. It was Kelly’s hope to revive the film musical, but the times had changed. One of the major criticisms was that it was on too big of a scale. If you watch the train and Barbara Streisand and the grand parade, it was a bit much for a small town, although there were big dreams to be realized. But Andrew Stanton isn’t complaining, the Main Street parade worked perfectly, imagine if it had been done in the town men’s store! The over-the-top exuberance matched the big city Wall-E lives in and provided the ingenious contrast with the appalling bleakness.

As far as I understood, [spoil]the parade took place in NY, and it was the POYSC scene, which was set in Yonkers, and it didn’t invove too much people.[/spoil]
Overall the movie seemed very exciting to me. Again I can’t name my fav scene - I liked it all. and again the worst thing was the translation - but I had no choice

I couldn’t find the option for the poll, that I wanted. It’s either that, or I didn’t understand them. Anyway, I found out about HD after I saw WALL-E, and I want to see it but haven’t seen it yet. :unamused:

I have seen the play, Hello, Dolly! at my local theater 3 years ago and I really liked it. I saw it in Czech, so I didn’t hear the English lines before. When I saw WALL•E, I didn’t know it was Hello Dolly at first and I only learned that later on.

There was a discussion on Hello Dolly before this thread. I am glad it came back up.

I think I have seen it over 30 times already. Now the reason for that is because that was the muusical I did not too long ago in my senior musical. It is one of my favorite musicals in the the world and I had a lot of fun performing in it… I was surrounded by the school’s (and maybe world’s) best High School actors, singers, dancers, and techies. I played the role of Barnaby, the young energitic store hand who accompanies Cornelius.

Now as for the movie, it was a deight to see. The songs were great, and the performance was amazing. THe movie is different from the stage version, but still, both stayed true to the original story. The best dance numbers were “Put On YOur Sunday Clothes”, and the Waiter’s Gallop.

Hello Dolly was probably the only reason why I liked WALL-E a little bit.

Well my answer doesnt seem to fit any of the choices! My mom is actually the one who wants me to see Hello Dolly because of WALL-E. She just hasnt gotten around to renting it from anywhere. I personally could care less. But I’ll watch it, if she gets around to showing it to me. I gotta say that Put On Your Sunday Clothes has been stuck in my head for days at times. :slight_smile:

I saw most of Hello Dolly a couple months before I was even thinking about seeing WALL-E. They were playing it on one of the local public broadcasting channels (probably because of WALL-E, now that I think of it). I was going through my musicals phase, so when I came down into the living room and saw my parents watching it, I got mad at them for not telling me it was on (even though I didn’t even know what it was about). At first I thought it was The Music Man because the Before The Parade Passes By scene was playing (shows how little I really know about musicals). Then we had a power outage between the dance contest all through It Only Takes A Moment. I really liked what I saw of it. If I had seen Put On Your Sunday Clothes I would have liked that part the best. But My favorite song was Elegance, instead.

Of course, after seeing WALL-E I decided to watch the whole thing, and I love it. I have the DVD now, so I watch it on a regular basis. It’s one of those movies (like WALL-E) that makes me feel better when I’m having a bad day. :smiley:

Now not only do I own the DVD, but I also own the Soundtrack for the stage version of Hello Dolly, which I then featured in as Ambrose Kemper for a local Amateur Operatic Society.

Hello Dolly as a whole with the particular Number and use of “It Only takes a Moment” really sums up the romantic adventure I took part in whilst watching WALL-E.
The use of Original movie footage and Michael Crawford’s vocals in the movie really suprised me and its feature on the WALL-E Soundtrack did somewhat amaze me.

The Star Swordsman, I am a bit embarrased to hear that Hello, Dolly was the only reason why you liked Walle… a little bit… but tastes differ.

:smiley: :slight_smile: :frowning: :astonished:

I watched it after WALL-E. Sorry, but… I still love WALL-E, just not his film taste. I found the movie very slow and lacking a firm central plot. I did like the character of Dolly, however. She brought some fun. But in the middle I was very “are we there yet?” and I’m not the “need explosions every moment!” kinda person.

Also, I found that it was the 5th biggest grossing movie of 1969, but Fox still lost “a massive amount of money” due to huge advance promotion. Some say that its relative failure, with big expensive sets, caused the doom of big musical films. This was the 3rd straight money losing musical for Fox, from 1967-1969, and it bled dry the enormous success of 1965’s The Sound of Music. After that if you wanted to hear musicals, you had to tune into the Carol Burnett Show or watch Disney animated films. Me, I’ve always hated them. Growing up in the 60’s and 70’s and seeing reruns of musicals from the 50’s and 60’s, just couldn’t stand the singing parts and over-the-top costuming and choreography. It interrupted a good story. When they brought them back with productions like Chicago, I had to exit the theater halfway thru, couldn’t take it anymore.

The extended clips on youtube from the film that were used in Wall-E were quite nice.

Edit: more on what the Fox movie Hello Dolly did to the industry at that time. I’ve been watching all 5 of the Plant of the Apes movies. Now before you get all ‘hairy’ and ask what this has to do with this thread, remember that it was a 20th Century Fox movie also during that time, the late 60’s. Also, remember that it is almost unexcelled in popular culture as an apocalpytic vision. Tremendously influential. There was a remake in 2001, and now a restart here in 2011, in fact it premieres next week!!! There is actually a sixth ‘movie’ in the series, a documentary on how the series was made including interviews and lots of background. Just like I mentioned above, the narrator, Roddy McDowell, who plays one of the lead apes in the films, tells about how Fox had released three musicals just prior to ‘Apes’ and our musical of main interest had bled the studio to the point of near bankruptcy. This caused two things: first, a need to have more sequels to help the studio out, and second, progressively lower budgets because the studio desperately needed a sure-fire cash cow to pay off the red ink and cover current and near future(as of late 60’s and early 70’s) flops. So one of the biggest sci-fi movie series of all time was severely handicapped by the beloved movie of our little Tonka-like friend. Just for the sake of completeness, Fox re-released all the movies to the theaters in the mid 70’s, shortly after an enormously well-viewed television broadcast of them. This went hand-in-hand with a huge merchandising blitz, unlike ever seen before; but frequently seen since!! However the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s weren’t too kind to the concept.

It shouldn’t escape the readers’ attention of the parallels between Wall-E and Apes: both are family movies and Apes in particular was most popular amongst children and teens. Remember that the very last scene in the last movie showed human and ape kids talking to the Lawgiver. Both are sci-fi films. Both involve a brief ride in outer space, and a return to earth. Both involve an apocalyptic vision, and both have their own police states.

But the most formidable comparison involves who will replace humans once they have decimated the earth: will it be Apes or Robots…?

I haven’t seen hello dolly in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG time. And even then I’ve only seen parts of it.

I don’t remember much of it. Hmmm.

I wonder if it’s at the library.

i should see Hello, Dolly! but i’m not a big fan of musicals. When i watched tangled with my class, ugh, how embarassing it was to watch it.

I am a huge fan of musical theatre! I love it, love it, love it. However, I have to say I wasn’t a fan of Hello, Dolly! There were only two songs that I liked- Put on Your Sunday Clothes and Hello, Dolly. I didn’t like the rest of songs really.