Wall•e Artwork: Update III (Updated: 23/2/09)

Hi, this topic is a continuation from a previous one ‘need topic for a Wall•e artwork’ where I asked you to vote for the scene which you’d like to see me draw. The winning scene was (perhaps unsurprisingly) the ‘dancing’ scene.

From now on whenever I feel that my art has come on enough to update it this is where I’ll post it.

The preliminary skeleton sketch for the piece is now done so I’ll post it here:

Obviously it’s very rough but that’s what I have so far, EVE looks kinda like she’s winking at the moment but I’ll fix that later. Also I need suggestions for a caption to put at the bottom, the obvious one would be the definition of dancing but I also quite like ‘In the darkness you shine out, like a beacon to my heart.’ Not from the film but nice anyway. If anyone has any better captions please voice them.

Okay, I’ve played around with Wall•e’s head a little and added some shading to him:

Now he looks more curious than sad but I haven’t done his little eye shutters yet so I’ll try and use those to make him seem happier. I haven’t shaded his treads or fire extinguisher yet, and the shaded bits are still kinda rough.

Okay, I got stuck in a traffic jam whilst commuting this morning so I’ve done a little more:

As you can see EVE is now done to a degree and Wall•e has better shading. I’m thinking that EVE isn’t quite shiny enough? She looks kinda matt… Next I shall work on the trails from EVE and the extinguisher. I’m debating on whether to keep the extinguisher trail as it is or to make it more ‘cloud/crystal’ like?

Comments and criticisms always welcome.

WALL•E’s eyes look a bit off.

WALL-E looks a bit sad for the occasion. Not much else to say since it’s a rough sketch, but judging by your DA works you’ll be refining this a lot.

Add: Shouldn’t this be under the Fan Art section?

Hmm, Wall•e’s eyes are off…

It’s hard to make him look happy since his eyes are always slanting downwards, I’ll have a look and see how it’s done in the film.

I haven’t posted this in the fan-art section as it’s not finished, when it’s done I’ll stick it there.

EDIT: Just watched the film again, Wall•e’s eyes are way off, they are in ‘sad’ mode, I’ll move them up and do some shading, then post again some time this week. So stay tuned!

That’s coming on really well, Halos Nach Tariff! There’s some beautiful shading on WALL-E there, and you’ve really captured the movement of that scene well. I still think WALL-E’s eyes perhaps look a little sad, but aside from that, good work!

And yep, as wayne said, this thread should probably be in the Fan Art area.

Thanks, I’ll stick it in the fan-art section, although I’ll update this one too when i’m finished.

I have done a little work on Wall•e and his eyes now look somewhat better, I’ve also pretty much finished shading him, I’ll post again once EVE is done.

Looking better I think. Can’t wait to see EVE done.