Can WALL-E read?

I can’t recall anytime that he did. I don’t think WALL-Es would be programmed to read, because what function would it serve? Maybe he learned how to, just like he learned to feel emotions?

Well, you do see him engraving his and EVE’s names on that lamppost, so maybe he had a basic idea of language and how to spell. I mean, I don’t think he was ever able to see EVE’s name; he only heard her say it. So for him to be able to spell it should demonstrate that he might know a little bit about the alphabet or the English language (or whatever language you view it in your country :wink:). So yeah, maybe overtime he picked up on how the letters worked and sounded with the spoken word; not sure how he was able to accomplish this, but I’m sure there are ways it could happen.

little chef

He’s got words on his bodywork right? At the very least it says ‘Wall•e’ on his compressor door, but I think his power indicator and sound recorder also have words on? So he may have become curious about those, and we know there are thousands of newspapers lying around…

I think his ability to write indicates he can. He could have taught himself from books after 700 years (oooh, plot bunny there.)

Hmm, those are some pretty good points. I’ve never thought of this before this topic appeared.

I’m pretty sure WALL•E can read and write, beased on the evidences tyou all have given. I mean, if WALL•E can write his name and EVE’s using the Roamn alphabet, and he can pronounce his own name.

I do have another evidence that might proved that along with reading and writing, he can understand being spoken to him as well. Not only has he been watching Hello, Dolly! every single day of his life for 700 years, but everyday on his way home, he probably stopped to watch BnL’s holo-ads and heard words spoken to him as well.

I think he might know the basics, after all he can write WALL-E + EVE. He’d be able to read that, I hope.

I think I saw a book on one of the shelves in his truck once. Maybe it’s a dictionary or something. Or maybe he found an ABC book in all that trash.

I guess there’s no reason why he wouldnt at least teach himself. Plus, like its been pointed out, he knows how to write his name, as well as Eve’s name so he must know at least a little. And like little chef said I dont think he ever actually saw her name spelled out anywhere so obviously he figured that out himself.

It wouldn’t be hard to implement reading into WALL-E. I’m sure they probably did, since you saw him writing WALL-E <3 EVE.

P.S. Post 100!

I don’t think that he would be able to say “ACCUMULONIMBUS.” I can’t spell it either. 8D

LOL StrawberryAvalanche96! :laughing:

I think WALL•E cans say “Hey, try this!”. At least that’s what I heard him say in the “Define Dancing” scene.

JustSoWALL-ECrazy: when does he say that?

:astonished:

I think he can say “let me see” and “right here” as he said when his eye broke.

Watch that scene. Pay attention when he’s diving with EVE upside down.

I’ll have to catch that next time I watch. That’s the fun thing about Pixar movies, there is always something new everytime you watch it.

Yeah, like every night I try to watch at least a little bit of WALL-E, and I think I’ll catch it this time! :smiley: