Is It Possible That There Was No Mutiny?

Oh my…I’ve missed all the drama that’s happened in these forums for almost a year now! :frowning: I’m not even sure if anyone else is going through the WALL•E forums as much now, since the focus is primarily set on Toy Story 3:confused:

Anyways…I think I have another idea on which to spend my $0.02 (or $0.04, since this might end up being a pretty long post).

(Beware, I’m a storyteller by nature, and a LONG one at that!)

It came to me like a Windows 7 commercial last fall, on my way to school. I was writing in my notebook, a typical hobby of mine, and as I reached a segment concerning WALL•E and EVE, it hit me:

What if Directive A113 wasn’t an attempt at mutiny by the Axiom Autopilot, but a total HOAX that served another purpose?

I’m not sure whether or not anyone else has thought of this or not, but I found it pretty diabolical at the time. I watched and re-watched segments of the movie, and I even found possible proofs that it was, in fact, a directive NOT assigned by Shelby Forthright (how a fanatic spends her free hours). For instance: in the first holographic video shown in the Axiom Superior after Captain McCrea is first notified of the finding of the plant by Auto, notice how absolutely flawless it is, even though it probably hasn’t been played for at least 700 years, particularly in visual and audio quality. In the second clip, when Auto is revealing his secret directive, the video is very slightly distorted, and it even has major distortions about three times (I actually don’t have a word for that particular part, my apologies). Forthright’s voice also has a bit of a deeper tone to it; either that or I have supersonic ears (or it could easily be because of the frantic mood of the situation…idk…). Besides, I don’t doubt it would be much easier to photoshop clips of speeches and changing voice pitches in the future. In short, I think the videos are somewhat different and are so covered up that it would be very difficult to detect. Now this may or may not be true, but this is how a psycho like me could see it.

There were a few other basic assumptions I made based on this, but one made itself clear: If this were a real directive, to remove any and all signs of plant life, then how would EVE probes still be performing their directives?

In short, the only reasons I could think of for Auto to have this directive (am I making up excuses supporting the fact that Auto isn’t defective at this point???) is for two reasons:

1. To eliminate the EVE probes and their program entirely for some odd reason

or

1. To ensure that the humans never return to Earth, regardless what his captain or former BnL CEO says about it. After all, no human in the film had ever had doubt of going back home (besides those who really had no idea where “home” was), otherwise the EVE program would not have existed and/or it would have been shut down after the issue of Directive A113, which leads me to my next point: my idea for a possible sequel, if one is ever able to hit the silver screen.

If I were living in the year 2110, the year of the BnL Starliners’ departure, I wouldn’t have joined BnL in the first place. Surely there were at least a few people who would not have fallen for the “taking over the world with a superstore” plot Forthright pulled and decided to rebel.

Thus, the “underground society”.

In short, they would have split from BnL and created a society of their own apart from BnL. Think of it like The City of Ember: this is a basic background on how this underground society would live, only with a little more technology (i.e. solar panels for growing crops, advanced sewage and water canals, etc., etc.) Possibilities are endless!

Should the story of the beloved couple continue, I would imagine that Auto had been hi-jacked by one of the citizens of the rebel society and programmed the directive to never return the humans to Earth as blackmail directed at Forthright just before departure and, naturally, they got away with it. Upon the return (even though it wasn’t shown in the credits), these citizens realize that the Axiom (and possibly other ships) have returned, and come up from their home to see what’s happened (this could happen at least a decade or so of the Earth revival process, when it looks a lot like the scenes in the credits). To be honest, I’m still clueless on how to add the robots into the plot without making their appearances seem arbitrary, although I have considered creating a supposed antagonist character of the underground society’s own EVE probe (using BnL’s plans, only in a different color). She had been surveying the areas around the society’s base and even watched WALL•E at work, yet she had never seen BnL’s EVE until after the return from space since she only does so at night whereas EVE is searching during the day. Thus sparks JEALOUSY (a possible sub-plot)!

My only problems with this idea is how to make so that it doesn’t sound cheesy and/or like a remake of the Ember series under Disney•Pixar and (again) how to successfully integrate WALL•E and EVE into the plot without making their story completely separate from the one at hand.

Well, there you go. I know I’ve been inactive on the forums for over a year, but I hope this at least makes up for it. Consider of it what you will, but this is my opinion that I felt I should share, and after several months of thought I am not willing to change or let go of it: Directive A113 may not be what you think it is. Welcome to the realm of insanity. Thanks so much for your time, I really do appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Wow. I can’t believe how much thought you put into this; very impressive! I’ve never eally thought of the situation this way, but you have definitely opened my eyes up to a new idea. :smiley:

Thanks so much love! :smiley:

It’s a plan of grand deception. The other passengers may not be aware of Operation Recolonize Earth, but the Captain does, and if Auto doesn’t send the probes back periodically, the Captain might get suspicious. So he keeps up this game, hoping the probes will never find any evidence of vegetation and that the Axiom will remain in Space for eternity.

But yeah, I did read through your entire post, and you have some great ideas. I, too, have wondered if all of humanity truly did make it onto the fleet (whether voluntary or not). I’ve also been considering a fanfic, but not based on an epic ‘City of Ember’ storyline or anything (in fact, it takes place in one setting, and it involves Wall-E :wink:). But I can’t wait to read your fanfic, if you ever embark upon writing it!

I had never thought about any of this in that way, Eve, but you’ve got an interesting and unique idea there, backed up by evidence too. I guess we all take it for granted that Directive A113 was a way of mutiny from AUTO, but you’re offering a very feasible alternative here. I also love your ideas for a sequel! It’s true that just because we don’t see humans where WALL-E is, doesn’t mean that there weren’t any left behind. There may have been some able to withstand and even resist the brainwashing powers of BnL, and they would certainly make an interesting sub-society.

That’s really quite an impressive post there, Eve. Certainly one way to return to the boards after a year’s absence! And I’m very pleased that you did choose to return. :smiley:

thedirveintheater: That was EXACTLY what I was going for! Unfortuantely for Auto, not everyone is without suspicion :wink: I’m still in the process of getting the fanfic off the ground, but thanks for the encouragement! :slight_smile:

lizardgirl: Thanks, I’m very happy I’ve returned to the boards! :smiley: I actually forgot all about it until a little birdie by the name of JustSoWallECrazy reminded me of what I’d left behind!

Aww, thans for the mention!!! <3

JSWC You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

in the first holographic video shown in the Axiom Superior after Captain McCrea is first notified of the finding of the plant by Auto, notice how absolutely flawless it is, even though it probably hasn’t been played for at least 700 years, particularly in visual and audio quality. In the second clip, when Auto is revealing his secret directive, the video is very slightly distorted, and it even has major distortions about three times (I actually don’t have a word for that particular part, my apologies). Forthright’s voice also has a bit of a deeper tone to it; either that or I have supersonic ears (or it could easily be because of the frantic mood of the situation…idk…). Besides, I don’t doubt it would be much easier to photoshop clips of speeches and changing voice pitches in the future. In short, I think the videos are somewhat different and are so covered up that it would be very difficult to detect.

I can explain the quality of the video. First of all, it shouldn’t be an issue if the are visual artifacts on the video. This is digital video, and it won’t corrupt with time like analog video (think VHS). The reason why the second video was having issues was because either 1) the equipment was just needing maintenance or 2) conditions on Earth were doing damage to the hardware.

Just my $0.02 on the video quality.

I always thought that, 700 years ago, before the five year cruise was up, they sent an EVE probe down to Earth. She came back positive, and the ship prepared to return home–HOWEVER, Shelby Forthright and Auto didn’t want them to come back since they could manipulate the humans better up in space. So Forthright made the phony video. The ship continued to send EVE probes because, of course, the captains didn’t know any better, and Auto killed/destroyed any plant that was brought to the Axiom.

Just my two cents, too!

I think I see where everyone is going with this…I’m glad to see everyone has a couple pennies to spare! :smiley:

And EVE Blakeney, welcome to the forums! Can’t wait to hear more from you! :wink: