Lighters

Something I recently noticed: when we first see Wall-E’s truck, he’s taking a BNL lighter out of his cooler and he puts it on a revolving shelf in a compartment filled with lighters. I can’t help but think that this means something, but I’m not sure what it is. I just think it’s odd that BNL not only makes lighters but that there were so many of them left behind. Thoughts?

It’s generally been figured out here that the lighters were not only a durable object that Wall-e could collect, but one of the things that he happened to not have figured out over the centuries. But most importantly of all is its symbolic meaning as a spark of love, or even life. Fire is usually thought of as destructive, but provides heat, and a good campfire can be romantic. Classic movies often show a man offering his lighter to a desirable lady with an unlit cigarette, back when smoking was considered sexier.

It also makes for a good reflection, not too different from the light of the stars reflected in Wall-E’s eyes. It was a wise choice.

But not everyone who watches the movie gets it right away.

Well, this gave me a delightful visual of Wall-E and EVE as Bogart and Bergman!

but i think Wall E was collecting it because it was producing some kind of energy.

Maybe a light in the darkness of all thing’s BNL?