Monsters Inc. 2 and Brave confirmed for 2012

D23 just posted this on their Twitter account.

Multiple other sites are also reporting this.
:open_mouth:

Despite the delay, I’m happy about themes Brave release date. That’s the day after my birthday! :smiley:

This is incredible! I wonder who’s going to direct Monsters Inc. 2. Maybe Bob Peterson?

This is great, Brave (previously called The Bear and the Bow, if anyone’s confused) has been my most anticipated film for well over a year now-- just two more years to go :stuck_out_tongue:

WIth 11 years between Monsters films, it’s clear that they’re not just rushing to get a sequel out there-- and Pixarfan9099, I agree re:Bob Petersen, though I think he’d be better suited to an original project. Maybe an Angus McLane/Doug Sweetland could take it up-- really I’m just a bigger fan of everyone doing original projects. I’d have been more than fine with Toy Story 1 being the only Toy Story :smiley:

As cool as Monsters 2 might be, it looks like it’ll be Pixar’s slate might, if Newt really is dead, will end up being

Toy Story 3
Cars 2
Monsters, Inc 2

THEN Brave. Too many sequels in a row!

Crying in tears of joy for Monsters. Inc 2!!! Wow!!!

YES! \O/

This makes me feel a lot better about newt getting cut.

OH YEAH! (sry for yelling. XD)

My cousin’s gonna be THRILLED to hear this! Monsters is like her favorite movie next to Wall-E! :smiley: I’m also very excited! I wonder what it’ll be about? Boo’s grown up? (Teenager? Pre-teen?) You never know! XD

Pretty good MI2 logo: tinypic.com/view.php?pic=96jgio&s=5 Made by Tweeter @exprcoofto

I want to have Pixar make an announcement for their change in line up to get things straight for everybody. This Twitter came from Disney-esque followers, so I’m not going into full gear believing that Newt’s been dropped and M.I. is taking it’s place.

This is a very sad day indeed… :cry:

I can here what you’re saying, “But Illusion, you love Pixar, and Monsters, Inc. was great. How is this a sad day?” Well I’ll tell you forum friends, today is a sad day because my fears have finally come true. Pixar is in fact creating a sequel to a movie that is unsequelable.

Monsters, Inc. was such a beautifully complete work that needs no continuation. Every thread was tied up, every character had his or her stories completed, the core basis of the conflict had ended for good: monsters no longer need children’s screams. It’s a brilliant movie with a beautiful ending and it needs nothing more to add to it.

Now I have every confidence that Pixar will make a good film, their track record has proven that. However, Monsters, Inc. 2 will only damage the ending of the first. In order to create a sequel they will have to establish some way that the conflict had not been wrapped up, thus defeating the happily ever after ending of the first.

Now you may be saying, “yeah, but people said the same thing about Toy Story 2, and look at all the positive press for Toy Story 3.” To that I say there is a key difference. The problem with Monsters, Inc. that’s different from Toy Story is that Toy Story 2 set up a very significant conflict that we didn’t know the outcome of. Yes, Woody had made peace with the fact that Andy would eventually outgrow him, but there’s a big difference between making peace with something and actually being in the thick of it. That’s where Toy Story 3 came from and that’s why it is successful. Monsters, Inc. however, has no existing conflict to pursue, no open narrative that can be continued on. It was a very complete work that would only be damaged by a continuation. That’s why I’m scared.

With Monsters, Inc., there is no doubt that they will bring back Mike and Sully thus negating their stories’ conclusion; there will have to be a new conflict with both Monsters, Inc. and Monstropolis, thus negating the happily ever after. There is nothing in Monsters, Inc. that lends itself to a sequel, quite the contrary; Monsters, Inc. is a closed book that has absolutely nothing that needs further development.

Hopefully I’m wrong, hopefully Pixar can prove that they can make a worthy sequel to a movie that absolutely resists it. However, if I’m right I desperately hope that Pixar has enough creative integrity to pull the plug on this project.

taps head Illusion…instead of being the classic "broken record saying of the “R Fans”…let me just plainly say…
M.I. has allot of sequel potential. There’s a whole world there to explore with. But…if there is going to be a sequel, it would have to be done right.
Toy Story had it’s good sorta…“Trail” if you will…from a kid getting a new favorite toy…to learning that toy was actually valuable (well…Andy didn’t…but essentially for the story)…and then finally inevitably what happens to them. That’s a fairly good way to handle it.
But if say Toy Story 2 was about…oh I dunno…like Sid takes revenge by stealing toys from kids or something, despite that by the end of TY 1 he’s essentially freaked out by any of them now. That’s sorta a way how NOT to handle a sequel.
For M.I., it needs to be handled delicately. Personally, I’m hoping that IF this is all true and M.I. is taking Newt’s spot that the story will NOT be rushed because of less time.

I’m sorry, but I’m just not seeing it, yes there’s the whole world of Monstropolis, but unless they focussed on other characters in other parts of the world I don’t see how it could work. And you know that Pixar will most certainly focus on Mike and Sully, characters who have completed their character developments and had proper conclusions to their story. Aside from that, as I stated above, the core conflict of the world of Monstropolis had been concluded as well. There was a power shortage due to the complications of gathering screams, but laughter solved the problem. There was also the conflict in MI about the ethics of scaring innocent children, but that has also been solved. I just don’t see any narrative left to explore.

You say there’s potential, however you’re not showing any evidence to back it up (I’m not trying to be aggressive, I’m just genuinely curious what you think could be added to). I’m a huge Pixar fan so of course I’d love to see more adventures with Mike and Sully, but I’m also a writer and a filmmaker and every creative bone in my body is saying that this is a very bad idea.

sighs Yes, it IS most likely they’ll focuse on Sullivan and Wazowski…BUT…they actually aren’t done.

If I show evidence, I will appear to be one-sided However…let me start with the above two a little, though in actuality I don’t want them to take ALL the spotlight.

Sullivan…an average worker with great Scareing talents. In less than a year, he became a CEO. Why? Because of his innovation of Laugh Energy. However…Sullivan is NOT trained as a CEO. Sure, he understands the working man…but NOT the parts of being a CEO. The amount of work, of pressure that he has to take. Essentially he is put into Waternoose’s shoes, and we see where THAT got HIM. Sullivan CAN NOT be doing an unbelieveable job as CEO, he JUST CAN’T. Because he is NOT trained in that and just can’t take all of that. So why does he? Because he doesn’t want M.I. to go under (essentially making true Waternoose’s last statement to him that Monsters Inc. would be ruined because of him). So in essence, Sullivan is trapped.

And of course being unprepared, I have doubts that Sullivan pursued a romatic relationship at this time with all he has to deal with…but guess who DOES…

What about Wazowski and Celia? Do they ever get married? Have kids? How does their relationship go? And how does it affect Wazowski’s relationship with Sullivan? Does he move out of the apartment they’ve shared for so long to move in with Celia? Essentially leaving Sullivan to his lonesome, only looking forward to the time he spends with Boo (who, if there is a sequel, MUST be older. If she’s the same age, that’s cheating the story).

Of course there is another…but…I’ll wait on him since a couple people think he’s not worth it, though he is.

Also, and I hope you were truthful in that, thank you for saying you wanted…“evidence” for curiousity instead of being aggressive.

Of course their lives go on, but that’s part of the beauty of cinema. A good filmmaker creates worlds that feel like they have existed long before the viewer arrives and will continue to exist long after they leave, however, it doesn’t all have to be documented, the audience doesn’t have to know every minute of the character’s life, they know what’s important to the story and that’s it.

And actually, giving your opinion will hardly be one sided, I’m trying to engage in a real discussion of this where we weigh both sides of the argument. Just saying “I think it’ll work but I won’t go into any detail” only leads to shallow conversations. I hope I’m not coming across as a troll, I’m really just trying to bring a level of intellectual discussion into this.

Anyway, onto your points. I think those are some interesting ideas, and could make for some good extended fiction. But it’s one of those things that just doesn’t warrant an extension to the main storyline. It’s kind of like Star Wars, there has been plenty of ‘expanded universe’ fiction regarding life after Return of the Jedi and some of it has actually been good, however, for the main film series we’ve seen what’s important and nothing else needs to be added. We’ve seen the fall of the Jedi and Anakin leading the rise of the Sith, and we’ve seen the Galactic Empire overthrown by the Rebel Alliance and Vader’s redemption at the mercy of his own son. Adding more to the main film series would dilute the story in the same way I feel Monsters, Inc. 2 will.

There are plenty of things that could be explored with the relationships between the characters as part of expanded fiction, however, adding a sequel to the movie would hurt the integrity of the original film and also damage the beauty of the conclusion. The conclusion of that film is so beautiful because it wraps everything up. If they add a sequel it means that the story really hadn’t been completed, thus ruining the ending of the first.

And I’m curious, who’s the other character you’re talking about? Again, don’t hold back. I want to discuss this.

Ugh, Brave’s an even worse title then Tangled. Way, way too vague and Bear and the Bow doesn’t even imply “GURLY PRINCESS MOVIE” like the marketing department’s being concerned about since Princess and the Frog’s meh box office.

It doesn’t all have to be documented. But as with any sequel, if there’s one, settled on some key points. Doesn’t have to be everything from start to end.

I can be an intellectual, but I also try to be flexible with people. Filmmaking itself is an expression of anything and everything, real or not. It is an expansive field full of research, wonder, imagination, all wrapped up with the determination to create. It is then either private or public, the later of which is tossed up to the varied masses with both yays and nays, opinions fact and wondered. It is an amazing feat which is judged.

claps It is indeed a good series of the Star Wars films. And there have been books as well, many I myself have read…and enjoyed. Movie-possible? Some might, depending on who’s making it. Is it NEEDED? No not really, a book is good enough.

The conclusion is the classic “happy ever after”…and I like the saying “happy endings are stories that haven’t finished yet”. Things for the “heroes” are finished in that sense. Can it be expanded upon? Yes it can. How does having a monster “grandpa” or whatever Sullivan is to Boo going to affect HER? It might not all be positive. And in the end she’s going to have to move on.

chuckles Are you sure? We might get in trouble with the admins again.

Oh I have no fear, I’m brand new here, I haven’t had time to get in trouble yet :wink:

I can see your point to some extent, but I still don’t think it warrants a sequel. I suppose it’s just a matter of opinion, but it sounds more suitable for expanded fiction or shudder fan fiction. But can you at least see where I’m coming from, that the ending of Monsters, Inc. 2 was so good that adding anything else has a very high potential of ruining it?

As I’ve said before, I have no doubt Pixar will make a good movie, but I don’t think this movie needs a sequel and I think trying to force an additional story into the main series would damage the first.

sighs Very well…warning was cast…the “character”…is Randall. awaits the common replies

Mostly a matter of opinion. I DID like the ending for Sullivan and Boo…but mainly…I just feel there’s more that has to be told. In the end, Sullivan won’t be happy with the job hes now trapped in, and is going to be using Boo as his sanity booster. Wazowski’s gotta work up commitment issues with Celia. I mean how would THAT be for a part of the ending in the sequel? Those two getting married?

Like I said before, if they’re gonna make a sequel…they HAVE to make it right. They can’t cut corners (or be done so by Disney) or borrow from other sources in their works.

I’m sure this is one of the common replies, but that’s been one of my fears too. Yes, Randall is the logical villain for the sequel; he was banished to the human world but if Mike and Sully could make it back, so could Randall (in fact with his chameleon abilities I imagine it’d be even easier for him). The problem though is that I’m afraid it will be too much retreading of old territory. Even though there’s very easy plot devices to get Randall back into the story I’d much rather see a brand new antagonist rather than Randall’s return.

I suppose I’ll have to wait for an official plot synopsis from Pixar before I can argue my point much further, but I’m just horribly afraid that this is a mistake being made for the wrong reasons. Disney has recently created a business plan to focus on creating only franchise properties, and this news makes me fear that this cancerous influence has invaded Pixar. I mean it’s not like they’ve won 14 Academy Awards and had some of the most successful animated films of all time on their own or anything like that. Nope, they should definitely be limited to only making franchise films, they’re clearly bound to keep screwing up if they come up with new ideas. :angry:

Fears?
Actually I meant Randall’s story from M.I. 1 to M.I. 2 in relation to Sullivan and Wazowski’s but…

nods Yes it is indeed fact that Randall CAN make it back to the Monster World (which makes you others kind of wonder WHY did they destroyed the door completely if they already broke it’s activator so nobody can go through it, of course that answer is rather simple).

And I DO agree that making HIM the “villain” again IS retreading into old territory. I DO want to see Randall return…but NOT as a villain.
If there IS going to be a villain, YES somebody NEW.

shakes head Pixar has been leaving it’s roots lately. Even from it’s “10 Pixar Commadnments” which Lasseter has in his office somewhere on a plaque. And Disney’s deal with how they handle most sequels is mostly sad. Which is one reason why I worry for Newt being dropped and M.I. being pushed forward. This would mean a rush on Pixar’s part. Or does this mean Disney will be taking direct part like they did in the last film.