Pixar Planet

Biggest Animated Film This Summer CARS 2 vs PANDA 2

Talk about Pixar's upcoming features including any other confirmed, unnamed, or rumored projects here until enough discussion has been generated to warrant their own forum.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Biggest Animated Film This Summer

Cars 2
79%
Kung Fu Panda 2
21%

Total votes : 48

Re: Biggest Animated Film This Summer CARS 2 vs PANDA 2

Postby skunklover » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:13 pm

I voted Cars2. :D
skunklover
Toy Collector

Postby bryanbmp » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:47 am

skunklover wrote:I voted Cars2. :D

me too
ZELDA Skyward Sword GOTY

I AM BACK!
BRAVE ... June 22, 2012
bryanbmp
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby .RK » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 pm

I would vote a Pixar movie over a dreamworks movie, especially since said dreamworks movie makes no promises on quality.
.RK

Postby The Star Swordsman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:30 pm

.RK wrote:I would vote a Pixar movie over a dreamworks movie, especially since said dreamworks movie makes no promises on quality.

I disagree. maybe in the past, dreamworks have not produced quality films, but Kung Fu Panda and how To Train Your Dragon are exellent quality films by dreamworks.
The Star Swordsman
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:22 am

Well, those are both really good(I'd be the first to scream that into someone's face), but that says nothing on the sequels. I like Shrek 2 to a small extent, but DW has not yet shown us a great sequel. Kung Fu panda and HtTYD are their best yet, IMO, and have the best sequel potential, but we still have to wait to know if the sequels are as good as the originals.
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby bryanbmp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Dreamworks sequels like Madagascar 2 and Shrek 4 are real sh*****, sorry if someone loves these films but honestly they are really bad
ZELDA Skyward Sword GOTY

I AM BACK!
BRAVE ... June 22, 2012
bryanbmp
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:04 pm

bryanbmp wrote:Dreamworks sequels like Madagascar 2 and Shrek 4 are real sh*****, sorry if someone loves these films but honestly they are really bad

True, hopefully KFP2 will be different.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:46 am

bryanbmp wrote:Dreamworks sequels like Madagascar 2 and Shrek 4 are real sh*****, sorry if someone loves these films but honestly they are really bad

That's what I'm saying. I fully hope that this sequel is the exception. But, unlike Pixar, DW have yet to give us any reason to believe that. Even if you dislike the TS sequels, they still have a certain quality level to them. That is true of very DW films, very few sequels, and no DW sequels, IMO.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby thedreamofpixar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 am

I'm really excited for Cars 2. However, I'm a little skeptical about the plot, I believe it's a little too flashy and overwhelming. I even wrote an article about it! :D here is some of what I wrote: "The first Cars film attracted many young boys to the excitement of racing, and the excitement of who would win the Piston cup. This made the movie a major hit among boys around the age of seven. Of course Pixar knows this, which could be mostly why the plot for the sequel is filled with flashy races in glamorous scenes all around the world, exaggerating aspects of what made Cars a hit. This sequel seems to have it all: crazy chase scenes, secret agents, explosions, major races like the Piston Cup, and destinations all around the world. But is bigger really better?"

here is the full article: http://thedreamofpixar.wordpress.com/20 ... oo-flashy/
Wanna get pixar news first? Read my blog! :) http://thedreamofpixar.wordpress.com
thedreamofpixar
Ant

Postby Lover_of_Fiction » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Kung Fu Panda is a dullfest. At least, I think it was Kung Fu Panda I was watching, though it might have been Furious Five, a direct-to-DVD sequel to Kung Fu Panda. Whichever one I was watching was terrible.

Cars is good, and some Cars haters will see this movie and love it. This film, though set in the Cars world, is nothing like the original film at all, from what I know.
Lover_of_Fiction
Garbage Boy

Postby gazelle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:27 pm

Like many I'm gonna start my post with "I'm seeing both". I'm going to admit I'm more excited to see the short in front of Cars 2 than the actual feature film ;x

Cars 2 will make more money.

Kaboom of Doom will gain more critic praise.

Cars was the highest grossing of it's year (Flushed Away, Happy Feet, Ice Age, Over the Hedge, Open Season, Monster House) while Kung Fu Panda came in second to Wall-E by less than 10mill (and kicked the butts of Horton, Bolt, Despereaux). Cars marketing is already a million times better, but when the Cars 2 trailer came out I was displeased with it, and when I saw the Kung Fu Panda trailer at the midnight premiere of Rango I cheered with the rest of the adult audience. I think Kung Fu Panda has a wider target audience but Cars has such a huge presence with children, like HUGE, and their parents become fans as well.

Kung Fu Panda was generally well received by audience and critics, having no review as brutal as the worst Cars' and bigger praise than the best of Cars'. Like I said above Kung Fu Panda has a winder target audience, and this is where everyone that's 9 and up is going to be this summer. Even though a good amount of them will also see Cars 2. The trailer makes it look so much more interesting and based on what I've seen of both sequels if I had never seen Cars or Kung Fu Panda and I could only see one sequel this summer it'd be Kung Fu Panda. We know how Cars was really unappreciated by the critics in 06, I think we're going to see it again this year, even though these are two completely new films. There's a chance at redemption, but don't hurt yourself wishing.
gazelle
Garbage Boy

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:55 am

gazelle wrote:Like many I'm gonna start my post with "I'm seeing both". I'm going to admit I'm more excited to see the short in front of Cars 2 than the actual feature film ;x

Cars 2 will make more money.

Kaboom of Doom will gain more critic praise.

I completely agree. Both look good to me, but I think Panda 2 will be a better movie.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby bryanbmp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:14 am

people still doubt it, I think that Cars 2 will be better and bigger than Kung Fu Panda 2
ZELDA Skyward Sword GOTY

I AM BACK!
BRAVE ... June 22, 2012
bryanbmp
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby thedriveintheatre » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Naturally, since this is a Pixar forum, the majority vote will be for Cars 2. I did NOT see that coming! :P

I'm actually more curious to find out who were the 9 people who voted for the panda.

While I wish I could see more Panda clips to make a better decision (we still have only two trailers and the official site compared to Cars' multitude 'Character-a-day' revelations and wallpapers and trailers and secret clip and retro posters and official posters which are really only a variation of the first teaser poster), it looks like Cars 2 is the most promising one. For now.
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Pricklepants » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:56 pm

I can't shake the feelings that KFP2 will merely be an extension of KFP, in that the major theme is the same (e.g. beat the pulp out of the bad guys!!!!), and the difference is only the identity of the bad guys/villains. For that reason, I couldn't really get excited for it. If KFP2 follows this route, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Po and the other kung fu masters will inexplicably beat the bad guys in some sorts of mysterious, illogical way when the odds are against them (pinky causing explosions, really? I mean, REALLY???). Which bugs me to no ends.

Whereas for Cars 2, at least we know for sure that the themes and the adventures will be so much different, if not complete opposite of the original. I'll have no hesitant to go see Cars 2 in theatre when it comes out, while I'll hold certain reservations against KFP2, and will see if it's worth it to spend a few hours sitting through something I've already been through before (kind of).
Pricklepants
Garbage Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Features