Pixar Planet

Lee Unkrich's next feature film

Talk about Pixar's upcoming features including any other confirmed, unnamed, or rumored projects here until enough discussion has been generated to warrant their own forum.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Lee Unkrich's next feature film

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:28 pm

I would really include Docter in your list of auteurs. I think he has his style, and it's great! I can't wait for his next project.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby queen_of_painting » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Fair enough! I was putting him on the fence in any case.

Check out my artwork in the link below!

film · food · art · words
queen_of_painting
Master Scarer

Postby definedancing » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:33 pm

queen_of_painting wrote: I have compared him to a modern-day Walt Disney, but primarily in terms of being a visionary and enthusiastic storyteller. Aside from Cars and Cars 2, I admire Lasseter's films, even A Bug's Life. However, when compared to other directors of Pixar films, Lasseter's skills don't quite measure up.

I completely agree with this. Maybe it's just a lack of zaniness with his films; where the others guys aren't afraid to take risks with their storylines, and aren't afraid to step out of the box, Lasseter seems to stick with what is safe. I don't blame him, not at all, because writing about what you know is key to writing a good story, but his stories don't open the floodgates up for much imagination; it's very much Lasseter's vision in Cars, rather than the 5 year old boy who adores it. I feel that with a good story, you should be able to project something of yourself and your imagination into it.
Not saying that Lasseter is not imaginative, and that he can't think out of the box, but he thinks about "what could be" rather than "what could lead to this".

queen_of_painting wrote: I have this theory, not thoroughly explored mind you, that the directors at Pixar are auteurs more so than at most other major animation studios. For instance, I feel like Disney's animated films strongly lack the directors' presence. That's not to say that the directors aren't significant in the success of each film, but honestly, they all sort of blend together into one big, undistinguishable blob of talented storytellers. For the most part.

I'm sure Lasseter has stated a million and one times that Pixar are a director driven studio, and you can totally see it! All of Pixar's films have a directors vibe about them :)

queen_of_painting wrote: Now, I especially want to look at Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird, because they have the most "unique" (sort of an iffy word) animated films Pixar has released in my opinion, and thus the most interesting directing style. On the other hand, Lasseter's films have been more straightforward, but nevertheless very well executed. Basically, what I'm saying is that I want to see more films from Bird and Stanton. :P Docter's sort of like Lasseter as well, although Up and Monsters Inc do have a similar feel.

I totally want more Stanton! I really, really hope he comes back to Pixar to direct a new film after John Carter is wrapped up :). I think he is the biggest "risk-taker" and so far, all of his risks have paid off. Brad Bird, although I'm not massively keen on his films, has a very cinematic, ambitious execution to his films; they feel like big budget Hollywood blockbusters rather than just Animated Kids films-and I totally love his statement about "How he will punch the next person who calls animation a genre" :mrgreen:
I really want Lasseter and Stanton to get together and make another classic though because I think it will be both old school and ambitious and epic and awesome.... :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
definedancing
Master Scarer

Postby queen_of_painting » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:36 pm

I have my fingers crossed that MI: Ghost Protocol, which I fully don't plan on seeing in theaters (haven't seen any MI movies), will be successful enough at the box office to allow for Bird to return to this ambitious 1906 project... and then come back to Pixar. :3

And yes, Stanton should come back as well. John Carter sadly looks rather predictable to me so far in both trailers, so I'm hoping Stanton offers something new to the genre.

Check out my artwork in the link below!

film · food · art · words
queen_of_painting
Master Scarer

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm

I think Ratatouille is the Pixar film that feels the most like an auteur film. Such a masterpiece.

I need Bird to return to Pixar.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby definedancing » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:40 pm

I have mixed feelings about John Carter, and I may see MI: Ghost Protocol on the basis of Brad Bird and the fact that I love Simon Pegg. It's great that these guys are doing live action, but surely live action and animation direction are a different kettle of fish, and if it doesn't work out...they can come back to Pixar and make more awesome movies :mrgreen:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
definedancing
Master Scarer

Postby pixarmilan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Spirit of Adventure wrote:I think Ratatouille is the Pixar film that feels the most like an auteur film. Such a masterpiece.

I need Bird to return to Pixar.
I 100% agree with you.
pixarmilan
Piston Cup Champion

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:10 am

Spirit of Adventure wrote:I need Bird to return to Pixar.

Same, I hope he does another original movie.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:25 am

NEWS:

Lasseter said Unkrich's project is about the Mexican holiday called Día de los Muertos.

We could get a good eerie film here.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Ballboi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:42 am

Sounds ambitious already. My guess is that this will come out in 2016.
Ballboi
Piston Cup Champion

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:53 am

The date so far is given as 2015
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Pricklepants » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:02 am

All I have to say about this is... AWESOME!! It's original, and it's not Toy Story 4! Can't wait!!
Pricklepants
Garbage Boy

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:09 am

I know!

I like the idea, but the best thing is that this confirms Unkrich isn't working on TS4.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Pricklepants » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 am

Prediction time: People will start comparing this movie to Corpse Bride and the likes in 5... 4... 3... :mrgreen:
Pricklepants
Garbage Boy

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:15 am

If so, I think it would be a completely uncalled comparison.

Death is a common theme in arts. And the setting and plot of this will be completely different (about the second thing I can only guess, but I'm pretty sure)
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Features