Pixar Planet

Fan's Plea: Why I don't want Monsters University to be made

Talk about Pixar's upcoming features including any other confirmed, unnamed, or rumored projects here until enough discussion has been generated to warrant their own forum.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Fan's Plea: Why I don't want Monsters University to be made

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:39 pm

I agree entirely. I see no reason to make a prequel to MI. I was very excited in the sequel(maybe more than Cars 2) but I have never seen a good prequel, and I don't think the source material is appropriate for one, anyway.
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby The Star Swordsman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:09 am

It might be too late to stop Pixar from making this. Now I can understand why people aren't excited about this movie. But being Pixar, I can say that what ever they put out, I'll be more than happy to watch.
The Star Swordsman
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:58 am

I'll watch anything with the Pixar label on it, but that doesn't include enjoying it. Personally, for me, I can't possibly see myself enjoying an MI prequel.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby Guitarlynn53 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:22 am

Well i'm not all for a Monsters university and i'm not against it either. So i come in between with a "I wish monsters university wasn't coming" and a "Um pixar has done a pretty good job on there films before, so i chose to trust them" :|

follow me on twitter @Guitar_Viking :)

I'm just a guitar playing viking
Guitarlynn53
Garbage Boy

Postby CowgirlJessie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:17 pm

I've wanted another MI movie since I walked out of the theater after seeing the first one. Was it a good idea for Pixar to make another MI movie? Frankly, I don't know. But I'm still looking forward to seeing it.
Deviant Art | Envious
Future Pixar Musician
I'm a Pixarteer!
CowgirlJessie
Toy Collector

Postby Ballboi » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm kinda on the fence about the Monster's Inc prequel. Although its not a bad idea, it probably won't be great to me. If anything, I was hoping for a sequel where Mike and Sully want to see Boo grown up. Well, seeing its Pixar and MI was my favorite non-Toy Story movie from Pixar, I'll probably give this a shot.
Ballboi
Piston Cup Champion

Postby Netbug009 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:28 pm

You know, Pixar has the right to make sequels if they want to, guys.

Seriously.

I'm just sick of all the bashing every time Pixar announces a new installment of a preexisting franchise. We reacted the same to Toy Story 3, for crying out loud, and now the fandom pretends that never happened, sweeps any evidence under the rug, and moves on to complain about the next sequel. And because Cars 2 wasn't a critical favorite, it's gone from some skepticism to the point where any sequel Pixar makes is automatically going to be horrible and is just for the cash.

If a prequel really disrupts people so much, don't go see it. Don't support it with your money. But I'm guessing that you'll be missing out on, if nothing more, a fun time.
WALL-E Count: 46
JESUS IS LORD!
Netbug009
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Modeltrainman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:10 am

Netbug009 wrote:You know, Pixar has the right to make sequels if they want to, guys.

Seriously.

I'm just sick of all the bashing every time Pixar announces a new installment of a preexisting franchise. We reacted the same to Toy Story 3, for crying out loud, and now the fandom pretends that never happened, sweeps any evidence under the rug, and moves on to complain about the next sequel. And because Cars 2 wasn't a critical favorite, it's gone from some skepticism to the point where any sequel Pixar makes is automatically going to be horrible and is just for the cash.

If a prequel really disrupts people so much, don't go see it. Don't support it with your money. But I'm guessing that you'll be missing out on, if nothing more, a fun time.

I agree with Netbug. Pixar can do stories they want to see. If they think it's great enough, they will go ahead. Must we really bash the company that this board is dedicated to?
Modeltrainman
Garbage Boy

Location: Riding through the Wild West with Cowgirl_Jessie and Bullseye.

Postby Amy43 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm not against it. I'm just disappointed that it's a prequel. I want to find out what happens NEXT!

Prequels and midquels really disappoint me. I feel like it's going nowhere with the story.
ImageImage

My favorite Pixar characters are Randall, Gill, and Francesco! My avatar is Leonard from North by Northwest.
Amy43
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:52 am

Amy43 wrote:I'm not against it. I'm just disappointed that it's a prequel. I want to find out what happens NEXT!

Prequels and midquels really disappoint me. I feel like it's going nowhere with the story.

EXACTLY! I agree. Anything that isn't progress is no fun for me. :/
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby queen_of_painting » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 pm

Gopher wrote:Hello everyone. First time poster, long time Pixar fan. I grew up with their first movies and fell in love with their "renaissance" era or Ratatouille, WALL-E and Up. I'm posting because I wanted to express my opinions about Cars 2 (I would give it a B) and its role in Pixar's upcoming movies.

I'm just now reading this thread for the first time, but I have to say I concur with almost every single thing you've said. You've expressed your and my views very well. As much as I adore Monsters Inc. and the characters of the movie, I don't quite understand why the film is being made, but that's not to say it shouldn't be made, because much of the story remains a mystery. I may be very critical of the prequel unless something innovative and clever is done with the story or character development. And while I have faith in Pixar, as you put it... there's a slight chance of Monsters University will be on the level of Cars 2, though I do expect greater things. I want depth and not mere entertainment.

I also disagree with the sentiment that we are not allowed to criticize Pixar. I should be able to openly criticize whatever movie made by whatever studio, and it's not a simple solution to avoid seeing the movie, because I'm too much of a fan of Pixar. And being a devoted fan doesn't mean I will blindly adore everything or keep quiet about my opinion on a Pixar fan forum.

Really, Pixar wouldn't release the movies to the public if they were not meant to be appreciated/watched by others. I understand if people at Pixar have attachments to certain characters and therefore wish to base an entire movie off them without much substance to contribute (see Cars 2), but I'm not trying to attack anyone on a personal level when I criticize a film or decision in making a film. Basically, I want more awesome, emotionally moving films from Pixar. Monsters University could be one of those, but I'm just not sure yet. Hey, with Stanton and Docter writing the script, that's something promising. :)

Check out my artwork in the link below!

film · food · art · words
queen_of_painting
Master Scarer

Postby Ballboi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:45 pm

I don't know what to think yet for the prequel. The concept art that they revealed at D23 months ago looked promising. Can't wait to see what a younger version of Randall will look like or what they could do with his character.
Ballboi
Piston Cup Champion

Previous

Return to Upcoming Features