Coco (2017)

Just found this online!
Anyone knows more about it?

Later, Disney and Pixar animation chief John Lasseter announced that Pixar is pursuing a 2015 animated film based around the Mexican holiday Dia de los Muertos. Toy Story 3 director Lee Unkrich will be in the director’s chair with Darla K. Anderson producing

found it here:

[url]http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-pixar-muppets-sequel-dia-de-los-muertos-315796[/url]

EDIT: removed the 2015 from the topic title, as clearly this picture is not gonna come out until 2016

The fact that a) Lee is directing it and b) It’s about Dia de los Muertos makes me so incredibly happy.

I hope this warms up to me when I start seeing trailers and stuff for it. I usually can’t contain my excitement for Pixar films, but this time I kind of could. It’s definitely sounds very inventive, but beyond that, I wonder how I’ll like it. Toy Story 3 is already the hardest Pixar film for me to love even though I like it more the older I get. I do like Lee Unkrich though, and maybe I’ll prefer his style here since it’s an original idea. Besides that, though, I’m a bit uncomfortable about a movie full of skeletons as the main characters if that’s what this might be. Jack Skellington’s fine although even that movie scared me when I was really young, but I hope there are enough human-flesh characters as well. I won’t judge what I don’t know before it happens, though. I always give movies a fair chance.

This is the only Pixar project that really intrigues me.

I’m really excited for this! Some of the other Pixar projects, not so much, but this, this sounds awesome!

I’m so glad Pixar is starting to produce original material again after a long spate of sequels (and one disappointing princess movie). I’m on a media blackout for The Good Dinosaur (as I am for Monsters University) but I’m very tempted to cave in for this!

For those of you who remember reading my posts throughout the years, one of my biggest brickbats with Pixar is they tend to set their films in Americana (as in USA)/Western locations.

Toy Story 1, 2, 3 - 99% chance it’s America
A Bug’s Life - 80% chance it’s America
Monster’s Inc - American-styled world
Finding Nemo - Australia!
The Incredibles - American-styled world and an island
Cars - Definitely America
Cars 2 - America, Japan, Italy and England (probably it’s most international-themed film to date)
Wall-E - America and space
Up - America and South America
Brave - Scotland

Dreamworks (I’ll list non-America settings alone, to cut it short):

The Prince of Egypt - Egypt
The Road To El Dorado - El Dorado
Chicken Run (in collab with Aardman) - England
Shrek 1, 3, and 4 - European-styled world (2 was set in a Hollywood-style world, hence America)
Madagascar - Madagascar
Wallace And Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (in collab with Aardman) - England
Madagascar 2: Escape to Africa - Africa
Flushed Away (in collab with Aardman) - England
Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2 - China
How To Train Your Dragon - Scottish-styled world
Puss In Boots - Spanish-styled world
Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted - Europe
Rise Of The Guardians - All over the world and alternate worlds

Blue Sky is a bit more difficult cos’ most of their films’ locations are undefined or alternate universes, but Rio and the upcoming Rio 2 are set in their titular city.

Animal Logic has only three films under its belt, but none are set in America.
Happy Feet 1 & 2 - Antarctica
Legend Of The Guardians - Australian-styled world

Studio Ghibli, for a Japanese studio, remarkably sets a lot of its films in European-styled worlds. Some examples are Howl’s Moving Castle, Porco Rosso and Tales From Earthsea.

Industrial Light & Magic
Rango - 'MERICA with a capital ‘A’

Even Video Briquendo has set a few of its ripoff films in Rio (for Ratatoiing) and China (Little Panda Fighter).

And, of course, Big Daddy Disney who has more stamps on its passport than any of the above studios, especially during the 90s Renaissance period.

I’m not against America-styled settings, as most of y’all know, Cars is one of my favourite Pixar films of all-time and I appreciate its themes, especially since one of my greatest wishes is to drive Route 66 in an old-school car. And Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron is my No. 1 traditionally-animated Dreamworks film.

But the point I’m trying to make is, for all its progressiveness in technology and storytelling, Pixar is still very traditional and parochial in its characters, settings and mythologies.

I am so glad that, finally, they are starting to branch out and explore “uncharted territories” in western animation. Dia de los Muertos is definitely a movie which I will set a day aside to see (not that I have missed any Pixar movie in theatres since Cars! :wink:).

Now, don’t get me wrong. I am very excited for this movie, because I love Latin American culture.

And I can’t really judge too much on it, since all we know is one line that it’s about ‘Day of the Dead’. But just that makes me intrigued.

But I honestly think that PART (not ALL) of the reason that this exists is because of the growing Mexican population in the United States. (Sometime this year actually there will be more minorities in California than European-Americans.)

Some of you know I’ve wondered when they were going to make a Latina princess, because it’s just a matter of time. (Why do you think Princess and the Frog exists? A big reason was because of complaints that Disney didn’t have any leading and, well, not stereotypical African-American leads (looking at you Dumbo and SotS)). And since the Latino population is growing in the US, now is the time really. Why else did they add a Three Caballeros ride at Disney World and a Three Caballeros float at Disneyland? Because so many people love the Three Caballeros? It’s actually a pretty lame idea, because no one knows the characters. But since they’re Luso and Hispanic characters, that’s the only reason to spend money on the ride and float. It’s to appeal to a certain demographic- and this new movie is around for the same reason.

Now, I’m not saying that it’s wrong to do any of this, I think it’s great! And for Disney it’s a financially strong move to make Disney is doing the smart idea by branching out! One reason Brave had so much appeal was because it finally give Pixar it’s Female lead.

But I’m certain this movie exists for two reasons:
a) There is some artistic interest in the subject. (Lasseter makes it clear, no story then no movie)
b) Perfect way to appeal to Hispanic consumers.

That’s exactly what I always thought about Princess and the Frog. I wonder what the plot will be. How will they make the holiday into a movie?

That is exactly how I feel too.

EJE: Haha, I was thinking along those lines too! :slight_smile: I’m sure most of you would’ve heard about the light-skinned" debacle surrounding Disney’s first “Latino” princess - the article in the link also talks about early Disney Latino characters like Panchito Pistols (whose last name should really be “Pistolas”) and Tito the chihuahua from Oliver & Company.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Pixar is making a move to court the Latino segment with this film. As the world becomes increasingly globalised and interconnected, it becomes increasingly difficult to ignore minority audiences. I’ve even seen Asian-produced dramas and movies increasingly featuring Caucasian characters, some of them even speaking Chinese, Hindi or whatever the film’s language is!

Kung Fu Panda 3 and Iron Man 3, for example, are being made under the watchful eyes of Chinese censors so that Dreamworks and Disney/Marvel respectively can be guaranteed a release in the lucrative China market. Does the guarantee of a foreign audience come at the expense of artistic integrity? To paraphrase Mark Wahlberg from The Departed : “Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe go kiss yourself.” :stuck_out_tongue:

But if this means that there is a greater representation of alternative characters and mythologies, I think this is a good thing. The important thing is that the film-makers must do with their homework and treat “foreign” cultures with the respect they deserve, without resorting to stereotypes or tokenism. And, as Princess And The Frog (with its portrayal of Tiana’s class and racial discrimination), Rio (with its inclusion of the favelas and the poor orphan Fernando) and Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2 (with its reverence of kung-fu styles and Chinese name references) have proven, this can be done.

TDIT: You’re correct. “Pistolas” is the proper way to spell it in Spanish. But Disney spells it “Pistoles” in all model sheets, books, and the such. So I stick with that.

And I give you so much thanks for sending me that article. I’m currently doing my semester long project on this subject: “Mythology of Propaganda: Walt Disney and the US Government’s Animated Quest to Prevent Nazism in Latin America”

It combines some of my favorite things: Latin America, Disney, and WWII propaganda. I’ll have to present a 30 minute lecture on the subject! You wouldn’t expect it, but I have found A LOT of information on the subject. And I’ll definitely save this article to use in my project.

I really enjoyed your post, but I’ll single this part out. As you said, Pixar seems to be courting Latin audiences, and it definitely is a continuation of what Walt Disney did in the 40s. A perfect example of the representation of foreign mythologies and Hollywood is the Three Caballeros.

Jose Carioca was based off of a character-type from Brazilian folk lore, “O Malandro” (A mix between a Playboy/Trickster/Conman. Despite these flaws, it has a positive connotation in Brazil ). Parrots (Papagaios in Portuguese) in Brazilian mythology are often the center of funny stories. Disney combined the Malandro with O Papagaio. And that’s why, although he’s forgotten in the US, Jose is still popular in Brazil- He has comics, has night clubs named after him, is used as a mascot for Soccer teams and Samba Schools.

Panchito was based of of the Charro in Central Mexico. Panchito was actually the official mascot for the Aztec Eagles, Mexico’s Air force during WWII.

The Carribean was jealous of Disney’s attention on South America and Mexico. So a 3rd Caballero film was planned to include a Cuban bird, but was cut anyways.

I expect that Pixar will be as detailed and careful with this Dia de los Muertos project as Disney was with Saludos Amigos and Three Caballeros

What really interests me the most about this film is the theme of family that I heard is supposed to play in. It definitely makes sense considering the subject matter, but I think if especially that part is played out very well, this will be a very good movie. And they are going to have to do a great amount of research for creating this world, so that’s another good thing. I’d also be very interested in hearing the music for this film.

Its definitely a different topic to say the least. I’ll be interested to hear more about it when it gets closer

Over one year passes, and all we got was this, lol

I don’t care that that’s all we have so far, it’s lovely.

Glad I could help! Do share your presentation once you’re done with it, I’m curious to have a read! :slight_smile:

Your mention of the Papagaio reminded me of a bird character of the same name from an animated film called The Magic Flute. I watched it the English dub as a kid, after my family got it as a VHS from A&W (the other choice was the Alvin & The Chimpunks movie, another great flick of my childhood). Here’s a non-English dub I found on YouTube (I now realise that Jim Cummings and Mark Hamill are part of the voice cast! :open_mouth: ). Look out for the white-feathered parrot.

I also read a Brazilian soccer club which had a variant of the Manneken Pis statue once had Donald Duck as its mascot!

Aw… I wonder what species that bird would’ve been! I certainly hope Pixar does its homework (and knowing their meticulous attention to detail, I’m sure they would!). I’d love to see Pixar pull off the equivalent of Dreamworks’ Kung Fu Panda, which had a lot of references to gongfu, Asian mythology and the Chinese language (my Asian friends and I had a kick out of hearing Master Oogway’s name, which sounds like “turtle” in Chinese).

I wonder if they’re going to play it straight with the traditional nuclear-family archetype of flicks like Bave, Ice Age and The Croods (father, mother, one kid or three, and half a dog). Or if they’re gonna attempt something more brave like Puss In Boots (Puss is raised in an orphanage and loves his foster mum), How To Train Your Dragon (Hiccup’s mum is no longer alive) or Ratatouille (Linguini is, in effect, a love child). Even better if they play this family theme for emotional impact, like they did with Po seeking his identity and parentage in Kung Fu Panda 2.

This, too. If they execute something like what Rio did for samba and Brave for celtic music, I’ll be very happy.

Thanks for sharing that image, Locall! That would make an excellent sig, come to think of it.

I’ve never been more excited for a Pixar film since Wall-E.

Hi everyone, been a little while.

Today’s headline in the LA Times Business Section:

DISNEY ENDS BID TO TRADEMARK HOLIDAY.

Yup, you heard right. Disney tried to trademark “Dia de los Muertos”, an actual holiday, for themselves. (As the article explains, less than a week after Navy SEALs killed Osama bin Laden, Disney also tried to trademark – for themselves – “Seal Team 6”, with plans to produce toys and entertainment. In the end, Disney relented on that one when the US Navy filed its own claim).

The article mentions how much ill will this move (trying to make “Dia de los Muertos” a Disney trademark) caused, with people signing petitions to get Disney to stop trying to trademark an actual existing holiday for Disney’s exclusive use.

The result… is that, according to the article, the title of the Pixar movie (currently as “Dia de los Muertos”) will now CHANGE (though the article doesn’t say what the new name will be).

Here’s the link, from today’s LA Times. Definitely worth a read.
latimes.com/entertainment/en … 4483.story

It’s a shame, as both Pixar’s “Dia” project, as well as their “inside the mind” movie, are the two I’m most anxious to see (seeing as how they’re both original concepts, in a sea of sequels everywhere).

I’m surprised they didn’t try to trademark the word “Up” (and then turn around and sue 7-UP for use of their trademark…) Ah, what were they thinking? :slight_smile:

As much as I would love to see the original title come to fruition, I think it’s ridiculous of Disney to go copyright a holiday. It’s like copyrighting “Christmas” or “Hannukah” or “Lunar New Year”, and anyone who wants to use the words as part of a name has to go seek its permission.

But yes, it would be hilarious if Disney did sue 7-Up, or the Atlanta Braves, or Toys R Us, haha. :slight_smile:

I mentioned on FB that it would be a great idea if they just went with a single-word title like “Muerte”. I don’t know if it’s gramatically correct (would you need a “De la” or “La” in front?), but it’s not that Disney hasn’t done it before (Bolt, Tangled, Planes, etc).

When I first heard about this I was like, “Really guys? Arent you taking things a little too far?” I’m not sure why they thought that was a good idea and that they’d actually be able to pull that off.

You guys know I love Disney. The films and the parks. But Disney is a, the big corporation. And The Walt Disney Company has done and/or tried to do things that I find to be very unsavory. And this little copyright thing is one of them.