Pixar Planet

Coco (2017)

Talk about Pixar's upcoming features including any other confirmed, unnamed, or rumored projects here until enough discussion has been generated to warrant their own forum.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: 2015: Dia de los Muertos

Postby thedriveintheatre » Mon May 06, 2013 4:13 pm

And I give you so much thanks for sending me that article. I'm currently doing my semester long project on this subject: "Mythology of Propaganda: Walt Disney and the US Government's Animated Quest to Prevent Nazism in Latin America"

Glad I could help! Do share your presentation once you're done with it, I'm curious to have a read! :)

Parrots (Papagaios in Portuguese) in Brazilian mythology are often the center of funny stories. Disney combined the Malandro with O Papagaio. And that's why, although he's forgotten in the US, Jose is still popular in Brazil- He has comics, has night clubs named after him, is used as a mascot for Soccer teams and Samba Schools.

Your mention of the Papagaio reminded me of a bird character of the same name from an animated film called The Magic Flute. I watched it the English dub as a kid, after my family got it as a VHS from A&W (the other choice was the Alvin & The Chimpunks movie, another great flick of my childhood). Here's a non-English dub I found on YouTube (I now realise that Jim Cummings and Mark Hamill are part of the voice cast! :shock: ). Look out for the white-feathered parrot.

I also read a Brazilian soccer club which had a variant of the Manneken Pis statue once had Donald Duck as its mascot!

The Carribean was jealous of Disney's attention on South America and Mexico. So a 3rd Caballero film was planned to include a Cuban bird, but was cut anyways.

Aw... I wonder what species that bird would've been! I certainly hope Pixar does its homework (and knowing their meticulous attention to detail, I'm sure they would!). I'd love to see Pixar pull off the equivalent of Dreamworks' Kung Fu Panda, which had a lot of references to gongfu, Asian mythology and the Chinese language (my Asian friends and I had a kick out of hearing Master Oogway's name, which sounds like "turtle" in Chinese).
What really interests me the most about this film is the theme of family that I heard is supposed to play in.

I wonder if they're going to play it straight with the traditional nuclear-family archetype of flicks like Bave, Ice Age and The Croods (father, mother, one kid or three, and half a dog). Or if they're gonna attempt something more brave like Puss In Boots (Puss is raised in an orphanage and loves his foster mum), How To Train Your Dragon (Hiccup's mum is no longer alive) or Ratatouille (Linguini is, in effect, a love child). Even better if they play this family theme for emotional impact, like they did with Po seeking his identity and parentage in Kung Fu Panda 2.

I'd also be very interested in hearing the music for this film.

This, too. If they execute something like what Rio did for samba and Brave for celtic music, I'll be very happy.

Thanks for sharing that image, Locall! That would make an excellent sig, come to think of it.

I've never been more excited for a Pixar film since Wall-E.
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby miafka » Fri May 10, 2013 1:28 am

Hi everyone, been a little while.

Today's headline in the LA Times Business Section:

DISNEY ENDS BID TO TRADEMARK HOLIDAY.

Yup, you heard right. Disney tried to trademark "Dia de los Muertos", an actual holiday, for themselves. (As the article explains, less than a week after Navy SEALs killed Osama bin Laden, Disney also tried to trademark -- for themselves -- "Seal Team 6", with plans to produce toys and entertainment. In the end, Disney relented on that one when the US Navy filed its own claim).

The article mentions how much ill will this move (trying to make "Dia de los Muertos" a Disney trademark) caused, with people signing petitions to get Disney to stop trying to trademark an actual existing holiday for Disney's exclusive use.

The result... is that, according to the article, the title of the Pixar movie (currently as "Dia de los Muertos") will now CHANGE (though the article doesn't say what the new name will be).

Here's the link, from today's LA Times. Definitely worth a read.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... 4483.story

It's a shame, as both Pixar's "Dia" project, as well as their "inside the mind" movie, are the two I'm most anxious to see (seeing as how they're both original concepts, in a sea of sequels everywhere).

I'm surprised they didn't try to trademark the word "Up" (and then turn around and sue 7-UP for use of their trademark...) Ah, what were they thinking? :)
miafka
Garbage Boy

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed May 15, 2013 4:45 pm

As much as I would love to see the original title come to fruition, I think it's ridiculous of Disney to go copyright a holiday. It's like copyrighting "Christmas" or "Hannukah" or "Lunar New Year", and anyone who wants to use the words as part of a name has to go seek its permission.

But yes, it would be hilarious if Disney did sue 7-Up, or the Atlanta Braves, or Toys R Us, haha. :)

I mentioned on FB that it would be a great idea if they just went with a single-word title like "Muerte". I don't know if it's gramatically correct (would you need a "De la" or "La" in front?), but it's not that Disney hasn't done it before (Bolt, Tangled, Planes, etc).
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby lennonluvr9 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:31 pm

When I first heard about this I was like, "Really guys? Arent you taking things a little too far?" I'm not sure why they thought that was a good idea and that they'd actually be able to pull that off.
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 am

You guys know I love Disney. The films and the parks. But Disney is a, the big corporation. And The Walt Disney Company has done and/or tried to do things that I find to be very unsavory. And this little copyright thing is one of them.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby RolliFF » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 am

I signed up just to comment on this post. A couple of people expressed why Pixar would make a movie with this concept. Just my opinion, Pixar has chose to do movies with visually bright and beautiful themes. Cars, Tropical Reef, Food, Insects & Bugs are visually stunning in person. And Pixar recreated those themes pretty damn well. If you Google Image "Dia De Los Muertos", the images and designs are colorful and creative. I think they want challenge themselves and push the limits on animation. Just my opinion. :)
RolliFF

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 am

RolliFF wrote:I signed up just to comment on this post. A couple of people expressed why Pixar would make a movie with this concept. Just my opinion, Pixar has chose to do movies with visually bright and beautiful themes. Cars, Tropical Reef, Food, Insects & Bugs are visually stunning in person. And Pixar recreated those themes pretty damn well. If you Google Image "Dia De Los Muertos", the images and designs are colorful and creative. I think they want challenge themselves and push the limits on animation. Just my opinion. :)

Great point. I can definitely imagine a Dia de los Muertos film to have a very colorful mise en scene.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Re: Dia de los Muertos (2016)

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't understand. They tried to copyright the holiday? How would that work? Like, people have to pay them to celebrate? What a weird thing to try to do.
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm

I guess so. The only thing I could think of was that they wanted the title of the movie to be "Dia de los muertos", but I don't remember exactly what the sources say. I think it's like when Disney copyrighted Tarzan, but that wasn't so big because it was a book, but this is a holiday.

I wish I knew exactly which people tried to do this.
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Pricklepants » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:29 pm

IncredigirlVirginia wrote:I don't understand. They tried to copyright the holiday? How would that work? Like, people have to pay them to celebrate? What a weird thing to try to do.

No no, they tried to copyright the title "Dia de los muertos", which means that any merchandise (fruit preserves, fruit-based snacks, toys, games, clothing, footwear, backpacks, clocks and jewelrym etc.) that bears this phrase will have to pay Disney or something. It doesn't affect people celebrating it though. Yes, it's an extremely corporate, commercial-oriented thing to do, and I'm glad the backlash put Disney in its place a bit.
Pricklepants
Garbage Boy

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:08 am

IncredigirlVirginia wrote:I don't understand. They tried to copyright the holiday? How would that work? Like, people have to pay them to celebrate? What a weird thing to try to do.

Nah, not even the Walt Disney company would be that devious to copyright a holiday. They just wanted to name the film "Dia de los Muertos". Therefore, they would need to copyright that. If Disney did get it copyrighted, they would have a monopoly on those words in that order. Which of course is terrible, because there's a holiday named that. So they'll have to rename the film, or take out the copyright.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:37 am

Oh, that makes more sense. That's messed up, but slightly less confusing.
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:54 am

If they could have just thought of a more unique title altogether, this could have probably been avoided. But at least a lesson seemed to be learned, I hope.

On a side note, I hope I'll be looking more forward to this later on. The concept of this movie...personally scares me a teeny bit, a first for Pixar. It will probably be gone before I know it.
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Badger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:56 pm

I remember reading about the holiday a while ago. It sounds interesting! I do like colourful stuff, even when it concerns a slightly morbid topic. And I think they'll change the title later on.
Badger
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:35 am

LQstudiesPixar wrote:If they could have just thought of a more unique title altogether, this could have probably been avoided.

Most Disney films go through a few title changes in their lives. But the fact they were copyrighting suggests that that was to be their final choice.

Badger wrote:I remember reading about the holiday a while ago. It sounds interesting! I do like colourful stuff, even when it concerns a slightly morbid topic. And I think they'll change the title later on.

I keep forgetting there are people from other nations. Dia de los Muertos is a relatively common thing where I am from.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Features