Animagusurreal's Artwork

Here’s my latest picture:

FOR LARGER VERSION, CLICK HERE THEN CLICK ON THUMBNAIL :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Didge, a young female kangaroo, is just trying to play her didgeridoo in peace, but she’s being pestered by Rangs, a bully-ish young male kangaroo. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Didge, she has an audience - the as-yet-unnamed koala in the little eucalyptus tree.

These are characters from my “Camo” graphic novel project, which centers around tigers. Y.C. the magical white tiger is who created the didgeridoo for Didge, which is why it bears the pattern of his markings, which you can see in the picture linked below:

About two years ago I sat down to draw a dimetrodon (fin-backed prehistoric reptile) in front of a sunset, but the head looked more like a kangaroo, and thus Didge was created. I put her into this picture - [url]http://animagusurreal.deviantart.com/art/Tiger-Turning-Into-Kangaroo-26666028[/url] - but due to the scale of it, she wound up being barely visible. The koala was also originally sketched for that picture, but it wound up being so complex, (and was so much work) I left him out of it.

I thought this new pic would be an easy one, but then I wound up seriously redesigning all the characters in Photoshop :slight_smile:.

This is really great. Nice job on that.

Heheh. Very cute, animagusurreal. Your art style is almost reminiscent of Asian-themed pieces; at least, they are in my opinion. I think it’s the basic, soft colors and the graphic style that makes it look that way.

Nice job! :slight_smile:

– Mitch

Vey cute! The animals look absolutely adorable!

Cool! :smiley: I love the koala ^^

Thank you, everyone! :slight_smile: As I said over in the Fan Art forum, I really appreciate this response from fellow Pixar fans.

Mitch, I do have a certain Asian influence in my artwork, and in this piece in particular. It’s probably via the art design of “Mulan”, as most of my influences come from or at least are initially inspired by animated films :slight_smile:. I like to watch the “Making Of” stuff on the DVDs, when the explain what the artistic influences on the film were. I remember they said something about small details in a large expanse with Mulan (or something like that).

I was thinking of cave art with the “Camo” series of pictures. The characters are only seen in profile or facing front, no 3/4 angles or anything like that. Thanks for the “but more advanced” :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I’m glad you liked the flatness, vimfuego. One guy on an animation forum was putting it down, (with a different picture, not this one) claiming my pictures needed more realistic perspective, replying with links to tutorials on perspective, etc… But it’s part of my style :slight_smile:.

BTW, do you remember me from the Gregory Maguire/“Wicked” forum, ages and ages ago (I also watch you on deviantART).

animagusurreal- Beautiful artwork. The bright colours, the clean lines…Very nice.

Thank you, lizardgirl :slight_smile:

animagusurreal: WHat do you have in mind for your next one?

Star Swordsman -

Thanks for asking :slight_smile:.

I’m currently working on the next page of my graphic novel project, and a stand-alone piece involving magic carpets with unique patterns. The graphic novel page should be done soon. With the carpet thing, I’ll probably post up the patterns of the individual “carpets” as I finish them, and then the whole thing.

In the meantime, here’s some more “Camo” artwork:

animagusurreal.deviantart.com/ar … r-19172786

animagusurreal.deviantart.com/ar … n-30063475

animagusurreal.deviantart.com/ar … s-40074916

animagusurreal.deviantart.com/ar … s-34412166

And a YouTube “music video” I did based on it, set to the Monkees’ “Can You Dig It?”:

youtube.com/watch?v=pj9hvMNERVk

So many beautiful colours and patterns! I love the zebra in the foreground in the first one, and all of your tigers are gorgeous. It must take so long to sort out all of the patterns to put on them! And that winking tiger animation is so sweet. :smiley:

Wow, all of the animals are so uniquely drawn! I have to admit that you are really good at this. I really like the first one.

animagusurreal - Yep. You definitely have an Asian-type style of artwork, and I must say that it is quite lovely and unique! I love the vibrant colors and patterns that seem to pop out at the viewer. Very nice. :smiley:

– Mitch

Star, Mitch, vim and lizardgirl -

Thank you very much!!! :slight_smile:.

lizardgirl -

Yes, it does take forever :slight_smile:.

It’s getting interesting in the graphic novel work, too. I had a scene where the characters were pretty much stationary except for their facial expressions, talking to each other. Now they’re starting to move a lot more and it gets interesting trying to figure out how to re-manipulate those patterns when they stand up, stretch, roar, etc.

vim -

That would be awesome! :slight_smile:

One of my online artist friends claims that when he’s rich and famous and builds his dream house, he’ll hire me to do a mural on one of the walls :slight_smile:.

And one of my daydream fantasies is that someday, when films are made of my work, one of my characters will be on one of those giant billboards that covers the side of a building (where it actually looks like it’s printed on the side of the building). I remember seeing ones in L.A. for Mulan and Finding Nemo that really impressed me. (Tried to find an image that shows what I’m talking about but can’t find any).

The first part of a rather involved project involving magic carpets and a mythical roc bird.

This, as you can see, is an insect-based pattern. Unlike much of my work, pretty self-explanatory :wink:

The previous submission in my gallery is a version of the same pattern without the carpet texture.

Larger version, click here:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/ … tsEd40.jpg

And here it is without the carpet texture:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/ … ture40.jpg
Larger version, click here:

animagusurreal - Wow. It is quite beautiful, I must say! It almost looks as if it could be a very detailed placemat or a decorative floor mat. Simply lovely…

Wonderful work! Keep it up. :wink:

– Mitch

I love how you inputed all of the insects in perfect harmony with the artwork! Really nice work!

Thanks, Star and Mitch! :slight_smile:,

Here’s a new art music video I just did, set to David Bowie’s song “Cat People (Putting Out Fire)”

youtube.com/watch?v=jU4XI1m4OEc

Good job! Absolutely amazing video! I love the video effects and the song was nice too. But the part that really stuck out was the animals. Really uniquely drawn. Excellent job.

animagussurreal- That carpet is beautiful! I love the colours and co-ordination. Very nice! :smiley: