Pixar Planet

The inside of Haunt's head

Here is the place to post any of your art work not related to Pixar, be it original or not.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby Haunt » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:35 am

Just an update of where I'm at in my final year as an animation major. Ugh, sometimes I wish I had switched from illustration sooner. Anyways, I'm about 60% doe with the pre-production of my senior film, Kitsune's Tale. I'll post up stuff periodically from now until April. My hopefully time of completion is mid April.
As for this semester, I'm also taking a flash animation class, and my tech 2 traditional animation class.
My prof for tech 2 has been very positive about my progress. I'm slowly starting to undo the stiffness and formality Illustration ingrained in me. He also called my work "Bluthy" (referring to Don Bluth). It's not intentional (it's probably subconscious, seeing as I grew up on that stuff), but I think it's a nice compliment.
Not much to show for the moment since we're still in the first month, but here is my very first lip sync. It's only the keys, which is why it's so blinky. I'm currently doing the breakdowns/inbetweens. On the left is Debacle and on the right is Fiasco.

That's all for now. Peace out!

~Haunt~

(And bonus 'I Grew Up in the 90's/old fart' Points to anyone who can name the song I snagged the intro from)
Haunt
Toy Collector

Postby ffdude1906 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:03 am

Looks great! Very cool. Hard to catch some of the frames though, but it's excusable.

The song is "Steal My Sunshine" but I forget who sang it.
Image Up Count: T:50 - D+BD:17
ffdude1906
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby little_chef_eva09 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Steal My Sunshine by Len! :D omg if I even think about that song, it gets stuck in my head the entire day long....

Excellent animation, I can tell where your professor is coming from when he says your stuff is "Bluthy" - it really does have a Don Bluth feel to it! :) And like ffdude said, it is a bit hard to watch and read the expression as of now, but it seems to flow really well despite that and I think it'll look fantastic once it's finished!

little chef
// Find me on: deviantART // Twitter // Tumblr //
little_chef_eva09
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Haunt » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks you guys!
And yeah, I'm still trying to get used to animation without inbetweens. I guess it's all about training your eye to follow and let the illusion carry the rest through. It's hard though. Couldn't really tell if it worked until I re-synced it to the audio. :?
Haunt
Toy Collector

Postby Haunt » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:53 am

Greetings from Ottawa! I'm here in chilly Ontario for the Ottawa International Animation Festival. There's so much going on, I don't know what to do with myself. Tonight I got to hear the director of Coraline, Henry Seleck speak about his career and the making his lastest masterpiece.
Tomorrow I have (hopefully) have a portfolio interview with Disney animation studios and Studio B. At the very least I'll get portfolio advice. Then it's onwards to more mingling and short competitions. I'll keep you guys up on whatever dirt I can dig up about TPATF, as well as post pics from the events.
Toodles from the roving iPod of Haunt!
Haunt
Toy Collector

Postby ffdude1906 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:59 am

Oh wow, that's awesome Haunt! Are you gonna attend the story panel with Ronnie Del Carmen? I heard Peter Sohn is there as well, that'd be awesome if you got to meet them! Hopefully you'll get a lot of info, pics, and other stuff, it's gonna be awesome to hear your report! Have a great time, and good luck with your portfolio! ;)
Image Up Count: T:50 - D+BD:17
ffdude1906
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Majesticstorm » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:21 am

Agreed, sounds awesome there Haunt. Hopefully the portfolio interview goes well. Be sure to fill us in on what happens! Good luck.
Majesticstorm
Shark Bait

Postby Haunt » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:17 am

Status update!

ffdude1906: I did go to that. We got back about 20 minutes ago. Not only was it a good presentation but we got to see Dug's Special Mission, which I didn't know he directed. And Sohn was there. I didn't see his panel early today, but he came to the UP panel.

Oop! The next short film competition is about to start. Signing off for now.
Peace out
~Haunt~
Haunt
Toy Collector

Postby lennonluvr9 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Wow. I'm very impressed at that animation! Nicely done!
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Postby Haunt » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:32 am

Update!

School's still running me ragged, but in a good way. In what little time I have I've managed to get some non-pixar fanart done r an anime convention that recently happened in detroit. I needed some extra cash, so I whipped up some artwork and made some shrinky dink charms. This one is my favorite. I didn't make any other TI charms due to copyright (well, that and I'm greedy :)) shinky dink

Here are some of the prints I sold.

Hinata and chibi kitsune/Naruto

Sailor Mars

Sailor Saturn (and Titan) - part of an ongoing SM AU

Risu - she's my own character, but I felt I could pull it off at Youmacon since it's my style is a weird combination of anime and american comics.

New animations!

The final version of Fiasco and Debacle's buttertart convo (the down shooter made Fiasco uber faint, which is annoying since he's the one in front

Ricochet and Harlequin - the same two teens from the Supers Ball pic fic. Ric got some new toys in the mail and Harle has gone box-diving as a squirrel.

The opening to a two part animation featuring a new character named Bo. The is the first of2 handdrawn scenes. The rest will be done in flash. (this isn't the final version)

Rough animation from my senior film

That's it for now. No more updates here til the holidays. Whatever else I do will be pixar related. Toodles.

~Haunt~
Haunt
Toy Collector

Postby Haunt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:59 pm

I lied (but only a little).

Meant to take pictures of this last week. This is my animation table up in the senior studio.

This is the labeled version.

Break time over. Back to work x.X.

~Haunt~
Haunt
Toy Collector

Postby Hannahmation » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:55 am

Fantastic stuff, Haunt! Your animations are really great! The movements are nice and smooth and you bring a lot of life to your characters.

Nice studio space! It's cool that you have your place to work. I live in the computer labs at school since I'm primarily a 3D animator.
Hannahmation
Supah Genius In-Training

Postby Haunt » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:58 pm

^ Thank you so much! I've really been working hard to get personalities to show through. And yes, I love my little table, but if I didn't love drawing so much I probably would have majored in CG animation. I still love to model and rig though.

Will you be posting any of your animation soon? There aren't many animators on this forum (at least at the moment :D) and I love to have more discussions/crits.
Haunt
Toy Collector

Postby Hannahmation » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:58 am

I have a love/hate relationship with modeling and rigging. haha

I will be, yes. May post some animation tests soon actually. I'll have some final pieces to post during winter break.

Do you have Skype or some kind of IM? We could talk animation then. :)
Hannahmation
Supah Genius In-Training

Postby Haunt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:32 am

My warm up doodle before my animation class the other day. Spoonbills dancing and one very tiny trumpet-playing gator. Oh, there will more of this. Much more :D

Haunt
Toy Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Pixar Art