Doc Kenobi's Art Thread

Hey all, my goal is to become a story artist at Pixar, so I thought I’d share some of my art, and get feedback and crtiicism from everyone here. I’ve really just started taking art seriously, so I know I have a long way to go.

Here’s a original character I created based on the Kingdom Hearts video games (my favortie game series). I used a picture of Sora as reference for the eyes, and some of the face, but the rest is from looking at myself in a mirror.
[url]http://doc-kenobi.deviantart.com/art/Kingdom-Hearts-Fan-Art-1-116660398#[/url]

EDIT: Sorry, about the link. I can’t figure out how to embed the image, so this link will have to do for now. [/url]

To embed the image, I believe you need to upload it to a website like PhotoBucket and then use the [img] thingy with it.

Thanks lizadgirl, I’ll have to upload my next images to Photobucket so I can do that.

That’s pretty good, the creases on the trousers and the hair are particularly good.
The eyes seem a little odd but I haven’t played Kingdom Hearts, are the eyes in that quite so circular? You could try making them more oval shaped.

I think that if you added a little shading, and maybe a background, this could look really good. For manga the easiest shading is cross-hatching as it’s quick and easy to apply.

Good luck with anymore art you do!

Thanks for the feedback, Halos Nach Tariff.

Yes, the eyes in Kingdom Hearts are similar to that. I was looking at a picture of the main character for reference, but I had some trouble with it. The eyebrows proably should have been farther down, too.

I’ll be honest, unless I’m looking at something, I have no idea on shading, and I don’t really know how to do cross-hatching. That’s one of the things I need to seriously practice.

I can teach you my method if you want, it works fairly well.

That’s a picture I’ve done with it:
halosnachtariff.deviantart.com/a … -114743929

Basically you just work out where your light is coming from, then shade the area furthest from that with pencil, then you shade from your dark area to the lgiht source, getting lighter as you go. Then shade the dark bits darker still and continue doing the same process until your happy with it.

Yeah, that would be great. Figuring out the light source is my main problem.

No problem, for a picture with no background such as this one you can stick the light source anywhere you want, although I’d suggest somewhere both behind and above the character, preferably off to one side. One of the top corners would be perfect. If you do a background then you need to identify which object in the background is the brightest, so things like windows, flames or lights.

Once you have your light source it’s a simple matter of putting shadows where shadows would form, you have to imagine your picture in 3D and imagine light falling on it from the source, which areas would be darker or lighter than others?

Cross-hatching is a useful technique which gives the illusion of shadow without you having to spend hours shading. Basically in the dark areas you going to draw a number of parallel lines in the right shape and angle, then draw a number of lines perpendicular to them on top. The more lines you draw the darker the are will appear.

Thanks Halo Nach Tariff, I’ll definitely try that out in some of my next drawings.

In the meantime, here’s another Kingdom Hearts realted piece. It’s another original character, based on the members of Organization XIII. I’d been wanting to do this kind of background for a long time.

[url]http://doc-kenobi.deviantart.com/art/Kingdom-Hearts-Fan-Art-2-116661755[/url]

Those are two really good sketches, Doc Kenobi! I like both of their poses, and the background in the second one is really cool. Shading just takes a lot of time and practice, and preferably a decent set of pencils, but cross hatching is a good start, as Halos Nach Tariff said. Good work! I look forward to seeing your next pieces.

Thanks for the comments, lizardgirl!
Yeah, I do need to invest in some pencils other than #2’s, but I want to make sure I’m gonna keep at it before I spend more money. I have a habit of giving up on things.

Alright, I’m going for a double today.

To show that I don’t just do Kingdom Hearts, here’s a sketch of The Man in the Hat (Indiana Jones). I drew from the cover of “The Making of Indiana Jones”

doc-kenobi.deviantart.com/art/In … -116662908

Also, here’s a color version of my Kingdom Hearts character. I used Sora as a reference for both poses.

doc-kenobi.deviantart.com/art/Ki … -116667944

Alright, everyone, here’s a brand new piece I just drew yesterday.

Yet another entry in my Kingdom Hearts work (I’m hooked on it), this time with a Disney character thrown in too. Hope you guys like it.

Haven’t done this in awhile, but I have some new stuff I’d like to show.

These are some sketches of two characters I made up. I still haven’t named them, and I’m trying think up a story for them, but for now, they are fun to d

doc-kenobi.deviantart.com/art/Sk … -135483262

doc-kenobi.deviantart.com/art/Sk … -135483387

doc-kenobi.deviantart.com/art/Sk … -135483510

doc-kenobi.deviantart.com/art/Sk … -135483609

Any feedback would be much appreciated!