Flare's Charred Drawings

These are the artwork I have done in my college since January for the Digital Media Design (Digital Video Effects) course. We were told that drawing these are the fundamentals to get a hold of the design principles and help us become better designers when we have to work with creating original videos in the following year. I personally dislike drawing, so, naturally, my artwork ain’t of the best quality. Nevertheless, I feel appropriate that these should be shared with you guys. They might be a little off in quality, but they aren’t that bad, yet.

In Miss Lulu’s Drawing Techniques class
After drawing some contour lines, practicing drawing squares and cubes using dots and lines as described in this thread, we moved on to drawing bigger cubes with 3-dimensional transparency with added shadowing.

Then we moved on to cones and cylinders.

More cones and cylinders.

Then, we were asked to draw the refraction of glass. The object behind the jar was a large pawn chess piece, actually, made out of glass. It was definitely an increase in difficulty, but I managed to pull it off somehow.

Next, we move on to ceramic cups. These were fun to draw because a lot of us had a lot of trouble drawing out the label across the cups and the situation ended up becoming a little humorous.

This one was a bit of a toughie. We were kinda taken aback when we first saw this. The weaving pattern was the toughest to draw, especially with the ever changing style of the pattern across the basket. I think the best feature about this one is probably the cloth in the cup. I really like how I draw the shadows in its wrinkled texture. Shadowing is a lot of fun. It’s easy and it’s really cool-looking if you do it right and make the characters/objects look alive/realistic.

This again was one of the easier works. I’m particularly proud of the wine bottle’s refraction. I know the base of the cup by the wine bottle looks distorted, but I remember the based to be like that, but I’m unsure.

Another easy peasey assignment. Only the wire dangling out and its knot annoyed me.

Then, the first real challenge hit me - landscape drawing. I had a lot of assignments in this field in the class, but most of them were left partially done or have never even been touched upon at all. This is the only completed one that I could find.

Then, we moved on to drawing human structures. We had to draw these… er, human dummies, whatever they are called (there was a specific term for this, which I forgot, constantly). It was quite fun and quite easy, too, compared to what was coming up next…

Next: Human bone structures. It was a little intimidating. But this is still not the worse yet; at least it was still doable. But er, heh, I didn’t finish the skull for this set, so I’m only left with the ribcage and the pelvis.

Finally, the worse of the worse: Human Portrait. I totally sucked at it.

This was supposed to be Daniel Powter:

This was supposed to be Ryan McCombs of Drowning Pool:

And this was supposed to be Sean Kingston. whose find mustache I tried to portray poorly:

His fine hair was a difficult factor, too.

Sigh. With those disasters done with, let’s move on to…

In Miss Wendy’s Principles of Design class
The first month had us working on brainstorming and mind maps. Soon, we were asked to work on bigger assignments that had require us to mount our artwork on mounting boards - black ones - for our work to have a look of professionalism.

Because i’m kinda caught up with something at the moment, I’m just going to post my artwork and i’ll try and describe each of them later on. Hope you enjoy them.

I’ll come back and talk about them later. :wink: Till then, please comment on them, whether if you like them or not. :smiley:

~ Flare

Seriously? You think you’re a bad artist? These are GREAT dude! Much better than anything I could pull off! You’re PHENOMENALLY better at light and shading than I am. I was proud of some of the stuff in my art foundations class, but this is MUCH better. Great job!

Do note that I had help with most of the artwork, especially with those ceramic cups. :stuck_out_tongue: For the 3 human portraits, however, they were all entirely my effort, though. Same goes with the assignments I completed for the PoD lessons.

~ Flare

Okay, that is it, you make me so jealous with your art skils Dragon. Keep it up.

Ah yes, I remember doing all those shading practises when I did my Art GCSE. It was very boring but well worth the practise! You’ve got some good shading skills, Dragon of Omnipotency, and I especially like the depth of the darkest parts of the shading on the simple shapes pictures. I like that sketch of a building as you’ve really paid attention to detail there, and the skeleton sketches are really good too as you’ve got their shape and form spot on. Portraiture is so difficult, one of the most difficult parts of the traditional medium I think, but you’ve clearly given it your best shot and practise makes perfect! You’ve got some skills and I look forward to seeing more of your artwork. :smiley:

Thanks, TSS, but seriously, compared to my other classmates (especially this one guy who draws exceptionally well) in the college, this is nothing. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will post the descriptions of my PoD artwork another time; I’m currently caught up with a huge post right now.

~ Flare

The third from the bottom, the man looks like Shia, is it?

Love your drawing. It’s a work of art and there’s no such thing as
bad’ artist. Everything is a work of art better it be from God or living thing itself. Art is a form of expression of appreciation.

Misconception of art among most people:

why do you think of this art? If you think this is weird/ugly/fair or simply rubbish, think again, it’s Picasso’s.

Reaction: most people will say: Oh. I dunno that. Yeah, it’s art.

Art is not based on who did it and how much it’s worth, but it’s passion.

wannabechef91 - hated by many, loved by none.

Ah, Picasso; nice, wannabechef91. We used to tease each other back in the early term with his name, calling each other “Picasso Jr.” in a sarcastic manner to mock each other’s drawing skills because we weren’t that good, yet we were boasting (we were joking, of course, when we were boasting). :laughing:

Fun times.

Yeah, art definitely has a very abstract definition that needs to be explored, and it doesn’t have to be contained within the drawing medium, either. It could be music, stories or, my favorite, films (you don’t refer to them as ‘movies’ when relating to art). :wink:

And yeah; that’s Shia. That was supposed to be an album design of the Soundtrack genre. I decided to paste different movies icons just to represent that genre, including the famous WALL-E. :smiley:

~ Flare

I love it! Especially when you put a little bit of ‘Heroes’ there. :smiley:

I may not be an artist or critic, but arts is hell beautiful. [Sorry for PG-13 word]
I cannot draw, I cannot sing, my drum skills suck, nobody understands my poem, but I always think art is in my blood even though I maybe not so creative to other people. I am who I am.

As I’ve said, art is not contained in any one medium; it is ever-changing, it is a way of life. Philosophy is an art, and philosophy has to do with human life. So, by interacting with your life and its meaning, you’re an artist yourself already.

~ Flare