My latest project; Avatar: The Last Airbender

Hello everyone,

I’ve not been active in the forum for a while, I’ve had a variety of things to do, but I should be somewhat back for now, and I’ve brought a new project with me.

I recently got round to watching the full series of Avatar: The Last Airbender and it blew me away, if there had been a show like that on when I was a child I’d be a much better artist than I am…

So anyway I’ve started an Avatar drawing and I really need some comments, criticisms and suggestions. All I’ve got done so far is the rough line art for a small portion of the page:

For context this area covers just under half an A4 sheet, so some of the poor lines are not really that noticeable. But I know I need to fix Toph’s face/eyes, as well as her stance.

Basically you can’t see it but to the right of Sokka is a big open space, and I’m not sure who to put in it, I plan to put the main characters at the front in a line as you can see and then put a plethora of other characters in the background.

So anyway comment and criticisms greatly appreciated and i hope to be updating soon.

Welcome back, HNT (Haha, your acronym happens to be the same as Hostage Negotiation Team… I’ve been watching too many cop shows lately. :stuck_out_tongue:)!

I’ve heard much praises for Avatar… I’m seriously considering getting a hold of the first season in preparation for the live-action movie next year…

But I digress. I agree with you that Toph needs some fixing up, the face looks a little lopsided and the arm ‘foreshortening’ looks a bit off… other criticisms would be that Aang’s right foot is angled too far off (like he broke his heel :laughing:), and Sokka needs to squat with his feet farther apart…

But other than that, I think it looks good. Sokka by far looks like your ‘strongest-drawn’ character. Love the grim expression and the ‘magic stream’ between her hands… her left foot needs tweaking, but overall, I think she looks fab!

I haven’t got any suggestions on which characters to add as I haven’t watched much of the show… maybe you can add the bad guy (I think he’s Tuko) scowling in the background? And if you’ve got the time and courage, try colouring it in! :wink:

Please take my comments as constructive criticism… and keep improving your art, mmkay? :smiley:

I don’t think I can provide any more constructive criticism other than what TDIT has already pointed out. Other than those things that need just a little tweaking, I think it looks really superb! :smiley:

Thanks,

Sokka’s actually kneeling on his right knee, it just looks like he’s squatting as it’s hidden behind Aang, however I’ve just noticed that his right hand needs some serious work, it looks like he’s got no finger bones or something…

I’m not going to colour it instead I’m going for a similar approach to my Bleach (a manga series) picture I drew last year; I’m drawing the characters in the animé style as they appear in the show but I’m going to shade them as if they were real people, I shall see how it turns out.

I’m definantly going to put the various villains and supporting cast in the background and I’ll probably put Zuko in next to Sokka, i can’t really think of anyone else who would fit there…

Thedriveintheatre; if you get a chance you really should pick up the first season, once you’ve watched that there’s no way you’ll be able to resist getting the other two seasons too! Especially as the second season is somehow better than the first, and the third provides an absolutely perfect end to the series.

I’m gonna pick up the DVD’s myself at some point but unfortunately I can’t find anywhere that sells the Region 2 edition of the 3rd Season box set, so it’s possibly not out yet…

I hope to update some time next week…

Sorry for the double post but no one posted between my comment and this update…

Anyway here is my current progress:

Basically I’ve just added Zuko and done some minor shading on everyone, as well as fixing some of the wierd bits.

It still needs a lot of work but at the moment it’s looking pretty good.

Not too shabby!

Thanks, I probably won’t be able to update for a while; I’ve just moved into University halls so I’m not sure what access I’ll have to scanners and such…