St_jons's Work

Over the past couple of months I have been creating all of the visuals for a short film along with a friend of mine, whilst another friend created the score. I would greatly appreciate people taking the time to watch it and let me know what they think as I know a lot of people here are fond of short animated films :smiley: .

thetaleofthetoupee.com/ this is the site, which has the film on the main page and then pages about our crew as well.

The story is about a guy who loses his toupee on the way to a circus one day, Which happens to fall on the head of Howard, the world’s first tuskless elephant. I wont say much else as I hope its not too hard to work out.

Any critique is more then welcome guys, Thanks.

Great short film, St_Jons! Your synopsis on here made me very intrigued to watch the whole thing, and I wasn’t disappointed. The story was clear, the animation smooth (you handled the movements of the elephant really well, which must’ve been difficult) and the music worked perfectly to push the animation along. The ending was unexpected and the timing of the jokes (like with [spoil]the bear riding round and singing, so funny!)[/spoil] was just perfect.

As for critique, well I’m not exactly in a position to critique the technical side of this, since I was very impressed with the animation and would have no idea how to create anything like this. And the story was simple but perfect to showcase different areas in animation, such as the lighting, which was brilliant. So I can’t really see how you could improve on this if I’m honest!

Wow thanks so much for the kind comments.
My main concern was the story being clear enough to follow as thats been an area I have struggled with in the past. The elephant was certainly a challenge to animate but it was also really enjoyable to try get his character across.

Really glad you enjoyed it, everyone I have shown it to so far has had nice things to say which has made it all worth it

Wow, that was amazing, St_Jons. Allow me to comment…

The story is great, it references a lot of movies (whether intentional or not), from Dumbo to Psycho, Elvis to Sergio Leone, A Bug’s Life to one of my favourite episodes from Chowder. It’s simple, it’s funny, the timing is perfect, I even chuckled a couple of times. I did feel sorry [spoil]for Howard, and I really thought Carl was going to hand his toupee over to Howard[/spoil], but that’s about the only criticism I can pick with the plot.

Soundtrack is well chosen. Love the use of ‘Peer Gynt’ and ‘Entrance of the Gladiators’ at the opportune moments. The use of the [spoil]Wall-E greeting[/spoil] was a bit jarring, but it was a nice homage to Pixar, I guess.

Now we come to the technical bits. First thing… Generiman! Argh… that guy… :smiley: He gave so many sleepless nights, that pain in the ‘ascot’… we had to practice with him for our animation classes in my course, and I did two graded assessments (one was simple body animation, and another was a lip synch), so yes, I’ve used him before. I don’t mean to trivialize your efforts, but using him’s heck of a lot easier than trying to rig a human character on your own (believe me, I still haven’t figured out human rigging), and I understand why you might resort to him due to time constraints. I liked his macho stroll, the eye twitching, and that grin at the end.

Harold is of course, much easier, since he doesn’t have those tricky opposable joints/backbones/neck, etc. I think you should’ve worked on his weight and locomotion more, especially in the beginning when all his feet left the ground at the same time when he jumped, and when he stepped into the ring, he looked a little ‘jerky’.

Hermione (though, really, I think it should be spelled ‘Hermoine’ a la Harry Potter) was pretty well done. Inverse kinematics, right? (Just attach her feet to the pedals and watch her go!) Again, I suck at rigging, so I applaud your skills!

What else? The flag was a nice touch. My team had a major nightmare handling cloth simulations for our final project alone (our characters actually wore items like a jacket, scarf, and skirt, and it kept intersecting!). Did you use Maya nCloth?

Uh… nice lightning. You know your 3-point lighting… ‘spotlight’ is pretty easy to achieve, so nice trick using a darkened tent as your setting (again, I understand you have time constraints, and I respect that).

Overall, it’s quite impressive. Carl’s animation (is this another Pixar reference?) impressed me the most, though Harold and Hermione were pretty good too. Story could have done with a more cohesive and traditionally ‘happy’ ending, though yours was an unconventionally interesting alternative, too. I hope you’re not offended by my honest criticisms, and I can truly say I enjoyed this film, even with its shortcomings. Hopefully there’ll be more awesomeness to come from you and your crew in the future! :slight_smile:

thanks very much for your comments and no I am not offended at all, I appreciate the feedback.

The use of the Generiman rig was due to a group member dropping out, leaving us short. But it worked out well since I don’t think we could of created anything near as impressive.

Hermione (that is how its spelt in the uk books, just had to check haha) did use IK indeed, we then attatched locators to her feet, parent constrainded them to the pedals and then as the wheel rotates everything fell into place.

Whilst the elephants rig was a lot simpler there was some enjoyable challenges in there such as getting a flexible trunk that could be manipulated from any point. The weighting needs a lot of improvement but for a first attempt I was pleased.

The flag was ncloth, relativly simple for what I needed, however I applaud you for using clothing on yor characters, I can tell it is not an easy thing to do in the slightest.

As for animation wise, I am obviously influenced by pixar, the animators survival kit also helped out no end. I looked at shep, the elephant from george of the jungle as a refference for the elephants animation as I wanted him to be almost puppy like at times, hense having him jump up. This hasn’t come across as well as I had hoped so may be something I go back and attempt again. Things got a bit rushed towards the end, especially with lighting, you were correct in thinking that was the reason for the use of spot lights.

Thanks once again for your comments, and I will be sure to keep updating on anything we do in the future

What a fun short film! It was quite enjoyable to watch. You can tell the hard work that went into it!

Whereas I like Carl’s confident walk at the beginning, his legs seem to ‘pop’. This happens when the knee joint locks for a frame or two. I think it works for the type of walk you are going for, but just something to watch out for in the future.

You did a nice job with their expressions. I particularly like the moment when Carl realizes that Howard has his toupee. You can see the thought process.

And I agree with TDIT, it’d be nice to feel Howard’s weight more. He is after all an elephant!

One more thing, there’s a lot of slower movements, especially with Howard. Mix it up. Add some texture to the shot by having different pacing. I found this post by Victor Navone (Pixar animator) quite helpful.

Overall it looks quite nice! Keep it up!

Thanks for the comments. The knee pop was something I had noticed but that shot was animated by the other animator on the project.
I stumbled upon that blog post a few days after finishing the piece, its certainly something I will put thought into from now on.