TDIT Spoofs John Carter & Rainbow Dash - Published Works

Hi guys, this thread will be where I will post my published works in the mainstream media. I figured after posting my reviews in my uni mags in various movie threads and the way my life is headed at the moment (I’m going to become a fully-fledged journalist in a major national newspaper within the next month or so), I might as well place all my printed public articles in one place! :wink:

And what better way to kick this off than with a Pixar-related magazine cover!

I’m part of a design team for an advertising magazine, and I’ve managed to convince my boss to do a Pixar spoof for the district magazine I’m in charge of. Being a longtime Pixar fan, this was a great opportunity for me to finally parody one of their movies in a published magazine in wide circulation within the Sydney area.

We usually recycle titles that’s been run in other districts before, so I dug ‘The Edibles’ from the archives and gave it a 2012 revamp! Yeah, the title doesn’t make sense; this was made when they used to do themes according to businesses featured in the centrespread, so for the past edition, they had an F&B theme going on.

I’ve snuck in a real-life Remy from another Brad Bird masterpiece (Ratatouille) and the Pixar Planet logo onto a real-life recreation of the Pizza Planet Truck (the body is a Toyota Hilux, while the rocket is actually TinTin’s rocket).

And of course, being a massive My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fan, I couldn’t resist sneaking in another of the Mane Six - this time it’s Drama Queen Rarity! It’s really the same horse I used for Twilight in the December issue for another district, but with a different mane (now it’s all wavy!). It was a rush job as I added her in at the last-minute, but again it managed to pass editorial checks because I doubt anyone in my office has seen The Incredibles besides my design team colleagues. Also, I made a flash animation on the site where Rarity explodes (once though, not twice).

Enjoy the following images of the cover and centrespread.

Cover - i41.tinypic.com/rc52qq.jpg

Centrespread - i43.tinypic.com/s6uq29.jpg

Remy Closeup - i42.tinypic.com/rtewbp.jpg

Pixar Planet Closeup - i42.tinypic.com/1rw8l4.jpg

Rarity Closeup - i39.tinypic.com/a9wi8j.jpg

Web animation - nmags.com/cn/index.php

Oh, and I made Equestria Daily’s Nightly Roundup again! I have plans to include the rest of the Mane Six in future editions. :wink:

Equestria Daily Nightly Roundup 266

P.S. I’ve hidden myself on the cover, see if you can spot me!

Tumblr link

Wow! I’m impressed! I love your magazine work. :smiley:

As always, thanks for your feedback, JSWeC! :slight_smile:

Those of you who follow my blog would’ve read my previous post on my spoof of The Incredibles in my magazine company’s publication. Now I’m proud to present to you my take on John Carter, which I successfully pitched to my boss as a new theme for that district.

As the movie was directed by Andrew Stanton, I couldn’t resist to throw in a few Wall-E references, which you can see below.

Also, I made a flash animation on the site where Rainbow does her epic Sonic Rainboom. You can see it in the link I’ve given below.

Cover - i44.tinypic.com/htfaxy.jpg

Rainbow Dash Closeup - i42.tinypic.com/mj1w8g.jpg

Eve Closeup - i39.tinypic.com/vrzmm0.jpg

Wall-E Closeup - i40.tinypic.com/npl4ps.jpg

Centrespread - i40.tinypic.com/144h1e.jpg

Axiom Closeup - i44.tinypic.com/rhtzcw.jpg

Web animation - nmags.com/fn/index.php

Equestria Daily Nightly Roundup #271

Halfway there, guys! Also, do check out my review of the movie itself!

As most of you who’ve been following my travails would know, I’ve left the Australian advertising magazine company to work for a daily tabloid in the biggest print corporation in Singapore - Singapore Press Holdings. I’m currently on probation at My Paper, but my supervisor and editor have given the go-ahead for me to write film reviews for the paper. :slight_smile:

Here’s my first byline, it’s the incredible doco Marley from Oscar-winning director Kevin Macdonald.

“Don’t worry… about a thing…” :slight_smile:

Nice job! I like it alot.