• Cars
  • Ratatouille
  • Wall-E
  • Up
  • Toy Story 3
  • Cars 2
  • Brave

0 voters

Sorry If there’s a topic like this but, I was curious, Which Pixar film is most emotional in your opinion? I’ve got a list of the most emotional scenes from their films:

Toy Story: When Buzz tries to fly out the window and when he feels totally worthless.
Toy Story 2: Jessies story about Emily, that was tear jerking.
Toy Story 3: The incinerator scene, I cried.
Brave: When Merida thinks she’s lost her mother in the end.
Up: Most of that film. Mainly the beginning… I think I’m gonna cry…
Wall-E: When Eve fixes Wall-E in the end.
Monsters, Inc: When Sulley has to let Boo go.
Finding Nemo: When Marlin is reunited with Nemo.

They aren’t in any order, just the bits that really stood out. For me… Up or Wall-E have to be the most emotional in my opinion <3

Probably UP and Toy Story 3. They were on a row at the time.

WALL-E also stirred some things, as did Nemo and the Monsters, Inc. finale. Emily’s song is also emotional for a lot of people I’ve noticed.

Then there’s Ratatouille, that in my house moves all kind of inspirational emotions. But I know it’s not the case for everyone.

Most of them have made me cry a few times, but Up wins for me.

I’d have to say Finding Nemo, Cars and Up for me. Finding Nemo made me cry when I first watched it when Nigel was telling Nemo and the Tank Gang of Marlin’s daring exploits. The way how Nemo’s father has become a legend in the lengths he will go to reunite with his son just squished my heart in two. Cars, the first Pixar film I truly loved, made me cry when Lightning pushed The King across the finish line. It’s incredibly cliched, and I suppose now, with the benefit of hindsight, I coulda seen that ending from a mile away, but goshdarnit that was a beautiful denouement of Lightning’s transformation. And, of course, I heard a few sniffles in the theatre during Up’s opening montage. I teared, didn’t cry, but Up consistently had the most emotional moments among all the Pixar films for me (watching Dug’s “I was under the porch because I love you” just killed me).

Toy Story 3’s ending, as I’ve said before, was a huge backfire for me because of a few inconsiderate audience members that ruined the mood by laughing and Andy’s little gasp at the end (which I, too, felt was overdone). The incinerator scene didn’t make me cry, but I was (almost literally) on the edge of my seat.

Wall-E had its moments, the cinema was deathly silent when Eve fixed Wall-E and he lost his memory for awhile. I was more of like “No, please don’t let this happen” than crying or anything. Define Dancing remains one of my favourite, if not the favourite Pixar scene of all-time for its beauty and wonder.

And as much as I criticise Brave (and have yet to muster the energy to write it a proper review), the ending where Merida tells her (bear) mum that she loves her and the (transformed back to a human) mum replies in kind made me all misty-eyed.

EDIT: If you think about it, this thread’s title is quite subjective. At face value, it can mean a heartbreaking or tear-inducing scene. But “emotional” can also mean exhilarating, or frightful, or anything that invokes strong feelings.

So for excitement, I’d go with both Cars movies. For fear, I’d say Toy Story 2 for the “I don’t like you anymore” Andy nightmare scene ALONE, which made me cry as a kid (no, those weren’t tears of joy or sadness, but pure, unbridled terror).

Toy Story 3 made me cry a few times. But after that, it became more and more obvious to me that I was allowing the movie to manipulate me. I really think it’s overly dramatic and borderline cheesy.

I think we pretty have a thread for this. It’s about the same thing but without the poll.

Exactly. I didn’t interpret “emotional” as “heath-breaking”, necessarily.

A lot of things are emotions, so I also think that you being at the edge of your sit in Toy Story 3 or me feeling inspired by Ratatouille count as emotional moments, so I listed them.

I said that Up was the most emotional for me. I actually only teared up about two or three of the times I’ve seen it, but it still impacts me the most. Certain scenes have me close to crying and make me otherwise very emotional, but I think I will cry more at the opening part once I’m older and am married. I’ll probably be able to relate to it more.

Thinking about it again, though, WALLE comes really darn close. Every scene where WALLE and EVE’s relationship grows gets to me, particularly the truck scene, the part where EVE is shut down, during Define Dancing, and the scenes where EVE needs to fix WALL*E.

Other honorable mentions: I don’t really get sad during Ratatouille, but every moment of the movie I feel these internal glows of either joy and excitement, or of a calm sense of worrying during the dramatic scenes. Basically, I feel a glow of hopefulness whether something good or bad is happening throughout that whole movie.

The end of Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc. have me in tears, although not sobbing. My favorite kind of sadness: fear that someone would be lost, but it turns out that person will never be lost again.

Certain scenes of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 make me cry not because something sad is happening, but because they are such beloved parts of my childhood. I cry tears of joy just because of who is on the screen or because of what is going on. Especially both renditions of “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” really get to me.

Over time, Cars has made me feel emotional. Some people might see cars talking to each other, but after a while I started seeing cars that were concerned for each other and who really wanted to make things better. I think the end with Lightning McQueen pushing The King to the end works because we saw exactly who he used to be and how far he’s willing to change. He could have crossed the finish line AND THEN gone back to push The King to the end. But no, he was good in spirit and knew that status wasn’t going to change a person’s heart.

This was exactly what I felt during my cinema screening of Toy Story 3. And I’m sad to say that I haven’t watched that film since (It’s not exactly in the category of films I want to see again like Bolt, Wall-E and Rio, to name a few - but it’s still a better-than-average film in my books). I’ll probably rewatch it to give it a second look when I can find the time amid my other commitments and fandoms, but it’ll be a long time coming.

As I said, this thread is quite subjective. I think the OP meant it to mean Pixar films that make people cry, but in my last post, I mention that it can also mean anything that involves strong emotions. I think the poll element is pretty interesting too.
But I do agree that they are quite similar (if we were to draw a Venn diagram, the other thread’s circle would be inside this one’s). I’m pretty okay with leaving both threads open.

Oh, I wasn’t addressing you in particular, SoA, if that’s what you’re saying? I was talking about the OP’s thread title in general terms. :slight_smile:
But yes, I’m glad we share the same sentiments! I suppose the Toy Story 3 climax would count as a (tense) emotional moment for me.

It’s interesting to read your experiences, LQstudies. Your bit about Up impacting you more when you’re older is a good point. Every Pixar film I’ve watched since I became a fan of the studio is a time capsule of my life.

I watched Cars was when I was in pre-U and it planted the seed of my awareness of the animation industry, much like Lightning discovering Route 66.

I saw Ratatouille when I was young and idealistic. I was just starting uni and I had a dream to work at Pixar (still do, actually).

Wall-E was when I was lonely and seeking friends. I found them IRL and on this forum (I think I joined on the year of its release).

Up was when I was in my final year of my bachelor degree. I was ready to spread my wings and search for adventure.

Toy Story 3 was when I was doing my Master’s degree. I met my bachelor degree friends less often, but I made new ones in the Master’s.

Cars 2 was when I had to say goodbye to my Australian friends and seek greener pastures in Singapore, much like how Mater feels when Lightning goes off on his own adventures.

And Brave was the year when I moved back into my parents’ place (to save up for a mortgage) and had to contend with my folks’ overprotectiveness (especially from my mum, I’m not kidding!).

Monsters U this year will be a nostalgic look back on my college years. I’ll be visiting my alma matter to attend Ponycon AU and catch up with my old buddies (including one of the forum members here).

Maybe I’m reading too much into this (and I’m sorry for the digression from the main topic of this thread). But Pixar’s movies paralleled my life in various ways, and I’m sure they, too, hold different meanings and memories for you all too.

Hard to say, maybe Finding Nemo because of the father/son relationship between Marlin and Nemo.

That’s very interesting TDIT!! While I certainly still question Merida’s choices, I certainly have mom issues. lol

One of them that comes to mind with me us Brave, probably due to the relationship that I have with my parents.

No, that’s not what I was saying. I was just agreeing with you over what really means “emotional”.

Oh Up, most certainly.

I have to say, although I love WALL•E, Up is indeed the most emotional of all of Pixar’s movies, because you certainly feel for Carl after having enjoyed his life with Ellie, mourning her passing, and how he wishes to remember her by going all the way to Paradise Falls. Toy Story 3 comes in a close second, with Andy going to college and entrusting all his favorite toys to Bonnie.

Of course, most of the movies do have their fair share of emotional moments as well.

For me it was Toy Story 3. Finding Nemo made me feel sympathy for Marlin certainly. Up got me misty-eyed at the beginning. But Toy Story 3 made me openly cry. And it continues to do so.

Toy Story 3, hands down. It is an intensely emotional movie for me to watch, because due to my age when I watched the original Toy Story movies, and how old I was when 3 came out, I was literally in the same boat as Andy. I was dealing with the same issues of still wanting to be a kid while the world was forcing me to grow up, losing friends, gaining new ones, and most importantly, saying goodbye to childhood memories. Things were so much simpler, and happier, when I was little. Even though I am still relatively young, I still struggle with the concept of “growing up”, and moving on from childhood, like Andy does in Toy Story 3. Couple all this with the fact that Toy Story 1 and 2 were so closely tied to my personal childhood, and seeing the events of 3 unfold (the toys having to move on from Andy, and vice versa), as well as the brilliant intro with the home videos of Andy as a child, cutting off and echoing, it all combines to be one of the most emotional films period for me to watch. But gosh, do I love it. Watching any of the Toy Story movies lets me have a taste of my childhood again, and reminds me that even though we get older, we don’t have to stop playing.

From the first time I saw it in theaters, to rewatches on Blu Ray, I cry (full on, not just teary eyed) every time.

^After that I consider changing my choice. I voted for Up. But thinking more about it, I cried way more during TS3.

Up is definitely a contender, don’t get me wrong, but TS3 is just way more personal for me. And I’m glad to see I’m no the only person to cry during it! haha

Oh yeah, when I saw it you could tell that a good handful of people were crying.