Pixar and Humongous Entertainment

If anyone remembers these games, you’ll understand what is presented here.

Found this on Tumblr:

[url]http://pinksprinkleddonuts.tumblr.com/image/88917710794[/url]

Let’s see what Pixar fans have to say. I’ve actually thought the same thing for some years. (mainly with Finding Nemo and Cars, and Monsters, Inc. has come to my attention recently)

I’m actually thinking of doing a more in-depth comparison on my own Tumblr, with added elements from Up. But for now, I’ll let the Pixar fans do the talking.

Are those images trying to tell us that some of Pixar’s films are based on games?! (gasp) Oh me gosh…

I have no idea what any of those are except Pajama Sam. That said, that one, at least, is definitely reaching, since Boo is not our focus character, and fulfills a completely different role. And judging from the Wikipedia description, it would seem the closet portals are the only overlap, and even then they’re used completely differently (in Sam it’s a once in once out portal, in MI it’s used multiple times and is a plot focus).

Judging by the similarly vague descriptions on all the other ones, I’m going to guess they’re stretching as well.

Evspixarfan2012 - I took it as more of a rip off accusation. Maybe that’s just me assuming the worst. :neutral_face:

That, or just attempting to point out a coincidence.

evspixarfan2012: No, it’s not saying that Pixar based them off of these games. It’s just saying that it’s mere coincidence that four of Pixar’s movies (3 of which are franchises already, but Finding Nemo is well on it’s way to becoming one too) bear basic similarities in concept to those games.

Villainess: You have not heard of the other ones besides Pajama Sam? That’s surprising, since usually Humongous did give out demos for all their other games, no matter which one you buy.

That said, let me explain the plots of each Humongous franchise shown in the photo:

Fatty Bear was about a teddy bear who comes alive the night before his owner’s birthday (it’s a girl in this story). The goal of the game is to help Lotso-- I mean, Fatty Bear, set up a surprise party for the girl, with the help of other toys and items. (no, he’s not evil or jealous like Lotso). Only one adventure game for this character was made.

Putt-Putt, Humongous’ longest adventure franchise (7 adventure titles) (not counting the Backyard Sports, since they’re not “Junior Adventures”), is indeed set in a world where the dominant species are cars and other vehicles. The main difference between Putt-Putt and Cars is that the animals are actual animals and not car versions (so no, there are no combines replacing bulls). Each adventure is different, and one actually involves Putt-Putt competing in a car race.

I have never actually played Freddi Fish (only the demos), but I can tell you that Freddi is the smart, determined one of the pair, and her pal Luther (the green fish) is very scatterbrained. They have 5(?) adventure titles, all of which involve traveling the ocean to look for important things and solve mysteries. Humongous describes it more like Nancy Drew in the sea. While the plots of the games may not really be like Finding Nemo, the personalities of Freddi and Luther are similar to Marlin and Dory (though Freddi lacks the over-protectiveness of Marlin), and there are obstacles they have to overcome in getting to their goals. A pelican character and a sea turtle character have also been featured in the demos I’ve played.

That brings me to Pajama Sam. This is the only one which I’ve played all four adventure titles from this series. The story is, as you know, centered around a child who overcomes his fears and goes on fantasy adventures in strange worlds to conquer them. While the plot is very distant from Monsters, Inc. there are some similarities, such as the world in his closet (and let me just say, his socks go missing throughout that world, so if the CDA were there, he’d better hurry and find them!), and his fear is an “invisible” sort of monster: Darkness (which is really just a shadow with what looks like three strands of hair poking from his head like iguana fronds). He also conquers different things; including stormy weather and a food war (surprisingly, his fears are things in reality and not imaginary monsters). I will note that in the second game, the character Mother Nature bears a slight resemblance to Roz, and the female protagonists, Thunder and Lightning (who are sisters), are submitting a ridiculous amount of paperwork to Mother Nature in a cutscene. The personalities of Thunder and Lightning are also somewhat comparable to Mike and Sulley, with Lightning being more excitable and flamboyantly comical despite her freakouts, and Thunder being more under control, understanding, and friendly. At base, you could say that Pajama Sam is the reverse of Monsters, Inc.; if Boo were the main character, and we saw Monstropolis from her perspective on her way to conquer her fear of Darkness-- I mean, Randall.

As I’ve stated before, I will make a detailed Pixar/Humongous comparison post and share it on here, and with some more detail. Again, this is just to point out similarities and coincidences, not accusing Pixar of ripping off. This is all just fun and games, and it could make for some interesting crossovers. :wink: