Favorite Pixar Scrapped Concepts?

Anyone have any scrapped concepts from Pixar films that you liked? And maybe wish had seen the light of day in some form?

Things like WALL-E with no understandable dialogue through the film (aside from the robot’s occasional single words), Remy having a mother (and apparently siblings other than Emile), Sulley being a janitor and Mike being Randall’s assistant, the death of Coral and Nemo’s siblings being gradually revealed instead of being the opening to the film, Toy Story originally being about Tinny from the Tin Toy short, etc. etc.

I’d have loved to see them stick with WALL-E having no dialogue. It would have made the film stand out even more.

(I know there’s a thread about deleted scenes, I thought this would be different enough since it covered a larger scope of things, but if it isn’t then my apologies and moderators can just delete this.)

I think this is an interesting topic. I know, if you listen to some of the commentaries, they had original ideas for something before it got changes (possibly for teh better). like for instance, Syndrome wasn’t supposed to be the main villain. It was supposed to be a guy named Xerek. but Syndrom was so popular with everyone at Pixar that they decided to keep him and change the story.
But there are some times when I wonder what would happen if Xerek was the main villain. Or what if they added one of the deleted scenes.

One of the reasons Pixar is so great is because even the ideas that didn’t make into the film are cool. Personally, one of my favorites is still the concept of the Tin Toy Christmas Special. So much came out of that concept, including Lotso and Carl as well as Toy Story itself… you have to wonder what might’ve happened if Pixar had made it!

Shakes the Rattle. He is sort of a precursor to Chatter Telephone, advising Woody about the clear and present danger in their setting. I also kind wish Combat Carl was implemented more into the series, he has an interesting personality that could have gone along with “Factory Setting” Buzz.

I think Newt was a pretty good concept. Too bad it was similar to Rio.

Oh yeah I mourned the day Newt got canceled. I doubt it was truly because of its similarity to Rio (since one could point out Rio’s similarity to Ice Age 2), but whatever the reason it looked like it had the potential to be great. The concept art alone was adorable and intriguing!

Anyone looking through a copy of the book Funny: Twenty-Five Years of Laughter in the Pixar Story Room will find a lot of other scrapped concepts right there…and I gotta tell you this, I laugh hysterically every time I flip through the pages and look at the illustrations just because they are all too darn hilarious! :laugh:

^ I have that book! :mrgreen:

I agree, it’s pretty amusing and very interesting. For anyone that doesn’t have it, yet wants an uplifting flick through, I thoroughly recommend :slight_smile:

Well I mean, does anyone here have a favorite out of that book? :laughing: 8D

My favorite is on the first page of the UP section, where it’s just the word UP and underneath it in small print is “His wife dies”. I probably shouldn’t be laughing but it’s so funny!

^Really? My favorite is the 3-part with Carl trying to change the TV channel with a stapler, reading the newspaper upside-down, and then sitting at a bar on a stool while also sitting on his wheelchair. 8D

^That one is pretty funny too! I also really like the one in Toy Story 3 where Woody climbs up to a window using Jessie’s hair! 8D