Pixar's Sequels

So, as Pixar’s recently announced their seventh followup this decade, I thought it’d be appropriate to ask what everyone thinks of Pixar’s sudden sequel fascination. Are you happy they’re making sequels? Do you find them necessary? Do you want them to go back to original films? How do you feel about it?

To keep myself from ranting right now, I’ll just say I’m not enthusiastic. I don’t really think any of them are necessary, and unless the plots are the most interesting sounding thing they’ve made yet, I’ll probably skip them.

Yeah, well…apparently we’ve had a lot of Incredibles fans asking for a sequel to The Incredibles for years now, and apparently some of them have still not yet seen the recent announcement to it. But now my real question is this: Why do so many people want a sequel to Incredibles so much? I mean, is there a reason behind their wanting it? (I don’t know…there could be several reasons behind it, but what exactly is the main reason? Specifically, that is.)

I thought that people used to really enjoy sequels like, just a few decades ago? Like they became famous movies with famous scenes and that them some of the biggest box office hits back in their day…like famous film series too, right? But why so much bad rap on so many sequels nowadays? Like, why does everyone keep saying things like, “We don’t need a sequel, it ruins a perfectly good ending, they’re only doing this for the money…” (etc.)? Plus, I am pretty sure they did NOT say things like that back in the old days, as if it really was just a few decades ago when sequels were, in fact, a big hit… Back. Then.

But in general, people really need to STOP saying all this nonsense ABOUT the sequels and just get USED to it, PERIOD. Because if THAT’S what the studios WANT to do, then they are GOING to DO it and they will NOT be changing their mind about it BECAUSE they are already WORKING on it and they will STILL release it regardless of people’s pleas against it WHATSOEVER.

Rant over.
evspixarfan2012

P.S.–My apologies for using a little too much capitalization here.

If actually having an effect on anything was a requirement for talking about something 80% of the internet would disappear. No one thinks complaining about the sequels will make the studios change their minds. People just like to talk about what they’re interested in, and that like doesn’t go away just because what they’re interested in has taken a turn they don’t agree with.

Wait, what’s the seventh follow-up? :open_mouth: Unless you mean Toy Story 4.

Personally, I do feel like some of this could be a misstep, as I feel all of Pixar’s sequels/prequels lately have been solidly enjoyable in and of themselves but I just don’t think they let the studio grow in the same way original films like, say, Up or Inside Out do. I’m not sure how to articulate that better. :blush: The thing is, I trust that TS4, TI2, Cars 3 and Finding Dory will all be enjoyable movies, because I love the original films respectively and know that Pixar can continue them faithfully. That being said, I also won’t deny that it feels excessive at this point. Apart from a new Incredibles (and, to a lesser extent, Toy Story) I don’t feel that the demand for continuations is really high enough to warrant them, and I’m also not even sure at this point that they’re movies Pixar even terribly wants to tell. I’ve heard that some executing meddling on Disney Marketing’s part has been involved, and that’s… :frowning:

But the thing is, even if Pixarteers admit that those sequels are really just “financial films”, I still know that they will be done with the proper Pixar touch and be entertaining, accessible family films, and unless any of them bomb, you can trust that I’ll be watching them all in theaters. I am still a Pixar fan and always will be. It’s because I’m a Pixar fan that I feel highly cautious about all this.

Well, Many fan, not even just Incredibles fans, were elated when they heard the news of a Incredibles 2 being announced. Now I’m speaking as an incredibles fan myself. I think the reason why people want a TI sequel so much boils down to 3 key reasons.

1. Generation of Super heroes: The Dark Knight Tirlogy, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Marvel, DC, Big Hero 6. Super Heroes isn’t just a “genre” anymore. It’s become a part of our culture. Now with movies like Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman on the horizon, and even more Marvel and DC movies to be announced, having a TI2 relased right in the thick of things would be perfect.

2. Movie left the door open: What I mean by this is when the movie ends, we see the family happily enjoying life as normal Parrs. But when the Underminer strikes, the family puts on thei mask, ready to battle, leaving us feeling very satisfied with their previous adventure, yet craving for what they could encounter next. (All super hero comics do that. They defeat the bad guy, live happily ever after… for now until the next threat show us (which would be dealt in the following comic issue). But having the door left open for a sequel so long, fans begged and begged for some clue as to what happened to our favorite family of supers.

3. Higher Expectations: It was groundbreaking because the fact that it was the first Pixar film with an all-human cast. With that, the audience has a certain expectation of what humans should look or sound like. And Pixar pulled it off. Now with sequels having such a higer expectation to be better or just as good as their predecessor, TI2 has even greater expectations because of the heavy demand. not to mention how Cars 2 was widely criticized. Fans have seen Pixar’s quality go down a little, especially with the announcement of new sequels. But with none of them being TI, some wondered if their universe would be explored again. Cars 2, Monsters university, Toy Story shorts, Car toons, but nothing TI, the one success that would be perfect for a sequel.

I think I’ll just address my opinions next to the announced sequels, it will make my points much more clear.

Toy Story 4 Where do I begin. On one hand, I am excited for a return to the Toy Story world with my favorite characters yet I’m also worried that the film might underwhelm viewers compared to the predecessors. The third film suggested that another film wouldn’t be necessary and that shorts/specials would have continued the adventure. I am was also worried by Lasseter’s directing after Cars 2 but I’ve learned that he would try to make the next film live up to its predecessors. On;y time will tell…

Incredibles 2 The one sequel I’m most excited for. Behind Toy Story, The Incredibles is my favorite Pixar franchise. It was my introduction into the super hero genre and among the more (arguably) mature Pixar films during its time. Like many others, I’ve wanted a sequel since I walked out of the theater. The Incredibles has so much potential for a new story that I’m amazed that it took so long for a sequel to be announced.

Cars 3 The one sequel I’m least excited for. I thought the first Cars was mediocre at best and the 2011 sequel ruined the franchise for me. It’s (dare I say) the one Pixar sequel I can call a cash-grab for the franchise. Hopefully, the writers prove me wrong.

Finding Dory The film’s concept is interesting. I can’t say that I was confused by it’s announcement first off but I look forward to seeing it in 2016.

Well, I like Finding Nemo and Finding Dory seems like it will live up to it.

As for The Incredibles, I think it’s the perfect film to make a sequel to. I remember watching it with my friends as a kid and we all assumed there would be a sequel because of the cliffhanger ending. We all loved it! I think the fans deserve a good sequel after waiting so long.

I don’t care about Cars 3, as I’m not a fan of those movies, but if it gives Pixar financial stability to try more risky films, than it may be worth it. It’s just crazy how much merchandise there is for this series though, and how many young boys are crazy for it (kinda like the male variation of Frozen).

Toy Story is by far the most controversial one. Toy Story is my favorite Pixar series and I’d hate to have a TS4 that isn’t as good as TS3. TS3 was just so amazing, and many consider it the best film in the franchise so far and the perfect ending. I’d love a new movie, but I’m still worried about it.

My other favorite Pixar movie is Monsters Inc, and I’d love a sequel to that. I liked the prequel, but I think a sequel would have been better. I heard that Pixar wrote a sequel way back during their division with Disney but that the script will probably never get made, which is a shame. If they made another movie they’d prob make it from scratch.

Leirin - Yeah; Toy Story 3, Cars 2, MU, Finding Dory, Cars 3, The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4.

The Star Swordsman - I don’t really want to get into arguments, so I won’t reply to all of these, but that first argument bugs me: if anything, I’d consider the market being flooded with super hero movies to be the perfect reason for Pixar to do anything but a super hero movie. If people want a hero movie, they don’t need The Incredibles, and people who don’t want super hero movies are now robbed of something that could have entertained them but is instead being devoted to another group of the population that’s already set for the next decade or so.

And besides, Pixar’s never been the type to follow current trends, and they shouldn’t start. If Pixar wanted to follow current trends, they probably wouldn’t have originated CGI films, and they probably wouldn’t have made any of their films except Brave.

TheSpaceSheriff - That’s a good idea. I’ll copy it.

Finding Dory: This is the only one I’m actually kind of okay with, and I daresay I’d actually be looking forward to it were it not for the two botched follow ups Pixar already has under their belt making me worry. It feels like the only one that actually had something set up in the first one that would genuinely be interesting to go into but wasn’t gone into. On top of the two bad follow ups screwing up my anticipation, I’m also kind of worried that they’re basically copying their Cars 2 formula (that is, “Let’s focus on that wacky character that everyone loved but wasn’t technically the main character!”), and the last time that happened I ended up hating that wacky character.

Cars 3: I’ve kind of already written this one off. I’m hoping it ends up being entertaining bad, or at least boring bad, instead of annoying bad, like Cars 2. I am kind of genuinely curious as to what they’re going to do with it, though, since the first two were so completely disconnected and even contradictory in some cases, and we haven’t been given the slightest hint what the plot’s going to be. So, I guess I could say I’m interested to see promotional stuff, not interested to see the movie.

The Incredibles 2: I really don’t get why everyone seems to feel this needs a sequel. I honestly don’t. There’s not really anything I want to see gone into more, or that I thought was left hanging or anything. I’d probably be neutral on its release, but it being sequel number five, and the near constant yet inexplicable calls for its existence, have gotten under my skin and made me annoyed by it.

Toy Story 4: I’m in the very tiny minority that didn’t like the third very much, so I I’m definitely not looking forward to a fourth. The whole thing frankly feels very unnecessary, considering Toy Story already has shorts and TV specials going for it, plus the existence of those shorts and TV specials are pushing Toy Story dangerously close to “Sick of it” for me, a feeling that is definitely not helped by a fourth movie. Plus…Yeah, I’m sorry, I don’t trust Lasseter anymore. And I’m hoping he’s just purposefully trying to mislead us with the “love story” thing and it isn’t actually a romance.

ContRemo - Lose in Scaridice sounded a lot more interesting than MU. Monsters, Inc.'s ending is something some Pixar members have stated they don’t want to mess with, cause to them (and admittedly, a crap ton of movie goers) it’s just so perfect, but if Toy Story 3’s ending can be added to, MI probably has a chance.

Villainess: Don’t worry, I’m not looking for an argument too. :wink: But i do see your validity in your last post. You are right on how Pixar has not been one to follow the trends and are strong going the originality route. It’s how they became so successful. Come to think of it, the reason why The first Incredibles was so successful was because it was original. Pixar, Brad Bird, and the team took it and made it someting so magical.

Honestly, I don’t mind sequels to Pixar movies as long as it feels fitting/necessary. Pixar is becoming the sequel churning machine now, but i would like them to do a string of original movies with 1-2 sequels every decade or so.