Lets Talk About DreamWorks Ripoffs....

I dunno if there is already a thread for this, but lets do the thing we all love to do on PP, TALK ABOUT WHY WE HATE DREAMWORKS RIPPOFFS!!! dont get me wrong, dreamworks ain’t all wrong, i just got bored so i decided to vent about their obvious rippoffs.

A Bug’s Life and Antz- First of all, ABL is much more family friendly. Antz talks about- beer, war, and dictatorship. It also has a few scattered d words. Also, Flik is soooo much more likeable than Z (what kinda name is that anyway?). So is Atta than their obnoxious princess. Plus, Atta doesn’t just wait around to be saved. She acts. And is there a Dot in Antz? I THINK NOT! Finally, the look is cuter and more colorful.

Finding Nemo and Shark Tale- FN even came out before this one. Wow. Don’t get me started. The stupid parodies, the obnoxious stereotypes, the all big-name actors (yes, that annoys me.) Tell me, why would fish need escalators? And how would electrical appliances work underwater? At least Oscars name isn’t O. Pretty much each and every character is a stereotype found in just about every single movie ever made. The Italian gangsters, the shady boss, the seductive gold digger. Finding Nemo is much more intelligent. Pixar makes real characters we can actually GASP compare with.

I can’t think of any more at the moment.

Uhmmm … yeah, I like Pixar more, but seriously, wasting time talking about how much you hate them is pointless. But, you go right ahead. I’m staying out of this one. :stuck_out_tongue:

ah, its summer. i do pointless things all season long :sunglasses:

Lol! I understand - I posted that when I was a bit moody - it’s just that there are so many things I’ve been hearing people complain about lately, and I’ve been complaining too, and just to complain about something like Dreamworks when I don’t really give a hoot … well, it’s just energy wasted. :stuck_out_tongue:

No one can do anything about what they do, anyways, so I say just let them do what they want. They get money for their films, but they’re usually looked down upon as the copycats of Pixar. :stuck_out_tongue:

I hear Kung Fu Panda is great though, so there might be a change soon. I hope it doesn’t get to DreamWork’s head, or we’ll see Kung Fu Panda 2, 3, 4…

I’m not hating on Dreamworks that much, but I like Pixar better.

Shark Tale- kinda funny, the shrimps were cute, pretty clever how they made the small fish’s job to clean whale’s mouth into a business…
Now what I don’t like about it: some parts are gross, (Finding Nemo didn’t do that), and I’m getting sick of the same plot of “best friends of opposite genders become a couple”.

Flushed Away- kinda funny, slugs were hilarious when they sang…what I didn’t like it flushing them down a toilet might get little kids to try the same with their pets…grosser than Ratatouille

Madagascar…don’t really have any complaint on that one. It’s fun, popular, and I love the lemurs.

Over the Hedge- Really funny and really cute, uses less personification…except they should have put a disclaimer or something at the end to warn people not to be convinced to actually feed animals junkfood in real life. It can be enough to get them sick or kill them.

I think that Dreamworks uses too much personification, while Pixar uses a small amount of it but still sticks to showing some consequences and/or advantages of whoever’s point of view we’re seeing.

[/i]

I had no problem with Over the Hedge (aside from what bright-dot-dasher said, they should’ve put a disclaimer) and Madagascar … it was cute. The lemurs were cute. That’s what kept me watching. :smiley:

Other than that … well, Shrek’s Dreamworks, and I have no problem with Shrek though it’s a bit too adult - I know it flies over the younger kids’ heads, but it’s still disturbing to see that they’re watching it. :stuck_out_tongue:

That seems to be the popular opinion here on Pixar Planet. :smiley:
LOL
But here’s my take, I enjoy DreamWorks, mostly for the animation (not story). Sometimes I don’t ever want to see a DreamWorks film, examples: Bee Movie, Shark Tale.
Sometimes I do, example: Shrek, Kung Fu Panda.
Sometimes i just want to know what the hyped about: Shrek the Third.
I do think they are a bit mature, but I don’t really care, nobody said animated films HAVE to be 100% kid friendly, although people assume it.
So that’s my take on DreamWorks Animation SKG.

actually, i like a couple of movies there. flushed away, madagascar (that one was actually ripped off by disney) over the hedge. im talking about the ones which are obviosly ripp offs. may i re-word my starting post.

kay, sorry if you guys got me wrong there. i didn’t mean dreamworks is all bad. for instance, the prince of egypt is better then very many disney films. i just don’t like their rippoffs.

I hate Dreamworks.

I’m a very judgemental person generally, and Dreamworks comes right in the firing line. Although I do really, REALLY like Antz- Z is so much more of a real character. Yes, he’s annoying and doesn’t shut up, but to have a leading character with those sort of personality traits was pretty courageous. Flik just annoys me, though he can be pretty endearing at times.

A Bug’s Life was a lot more family friendly than Antz but, once again, that’s probably another reason as to why I love Antz so much. That film dealt with issues such as dictatorship and showed that animated films don’t have to be all fart jokes and goofy characters. Yes, A Bug’s Life did demonstrate that to a certain extent- standing up to bullies, etc.- but it was presented in a less gritty, more wholesome way than in the context of Antz.

Shark Tale, I never saw. The bad pun in the title was enough to put me off.

Flushed Away isn’t stop motion, is it? It’s just sort of animated stop motion (correct me if I’m wrong). If so, that’s the reason I hate it.

Madagascar’s story completely threw me off. Halfway through watching it, I suddenly realised that if one of the animals were to randomly whip out a bazooka gun, kill all of his friends and then finally himself, I really wouldn’t care. And David Schwimmer is annoying.

Over the Hedge, I’ve never seen. The premise sounded a bit rubbish, and the adverts looked poor.

I hate the whole Shrek franchise. The original Shrek was a good film in both humour and storyline, and it was something a little different- unlike 90% of other Dreamworks films, the idea hadn’t been done before. The problem with Shrek 2 is that, because it’s a sequel, it HAD been done before. Shrek the Third was playing on an idea that had already been done TWICE before. Now it’s getting to the point where I’ve ended up hating the characters (especially Princes Fiona, eugh) and I would only really be entertained by a new Shrek film if it involved some sort of suicide pact.

Kung Fu Panda? It looks relatively promising. The humour is still terrible, but it is at least slightly original.

Basically, Dreamworks sucks. And the guy in charge is really scary, that bald guy, Kratzenberger or something? He freaks me out. How a guy like him could be in charge of making kid’s movies…Well, I guess it explains the poor quality of most of Dreamworks’ films.

[quote="lizardgirl":2eaynagd]
Over the Hedge, I’ve never seen. The premise sounded a bit rubbish, and the adverts looked poor.
[/quote:2eaynagd]

You should give it a chance - it was based off a comic strip, though the comic strips are much funnier. :D

[i:2eaynagd]Antz[/i:2eaynagd] … ugh, sorry, but I never liked that. It was pretty adult, and I got storylines mixed up between A Bug’s Life when I was little (before I saw A Bug’s Life.) And I’ve never known Woody Allen before that movie, nor have I seen any film with him afterwards but … his voice seriously gets on my nerves.

I’ll admit I can’t say I hate Dreamworks - I give it a chance every so often. :P I like having an open mind when it comes to films, since many people are close-minded and often compare a film to something else, even without realizing it. I try to appreciate films for what they are, and not compare them to something much greater.

I just don’t see Dreamworks films in theatres anymore - [i:2eaynagd]Shrek[/i:2eaynagd] I did, but the third was very lax and they acted as if they got their work cut out for them because [i:2eaynagd]Shrek[/i:2eaynagd] was popular, but what they didn’t foresee is, yeah, they need a better storyline. :-\

i respect that about people. i can be pretty closed mnded. one thing that annoyed me about the people who reveiwed cars is that a lot of them where like “its not as good as other pixar films. so its bad.” i was like “but if it came it came out of dreamworks or normal disney, you’d all be talking about how good it is”

oh and lizardgirl, i did like Over The Hedge it was pretty cute and funny.

Former Post Removed by poster himself ,carry on now :blush:

P.S. Please read other post,explaining that I am not calling anyone jerks and worshippers of pixar,dreamworks ect., I did not say that, please dont judge me, an put words in my mouth I did not say, all in all, sorry if you did think that I was inplying that, in all truth I was not people, or to you or anyone else believe me.

Also I understand now that here you people only hate certain movies or things dreamwork’s others do, now I see it more clearly, sorry people, your not like the other boards at BOM,ect. I visited there it is A Hate fest going on, but I do have to be honest an say, that one here did say they hated dreamwork’s out right - what was I suppose to think after seeing that.

If that wasn’t said then my post would of not followed after, thinking that they were like the ones from the other boards, an I would not of hurt you people without meaning to, something to think about isn’t it,but still I should of not gave in to my rage, so were both
at fault here, I dont cast the blame on you only but myself as well.

But we our only human,an still learning, also it is wrong to put Jeffrey K. down for his looks, I mean he cant help the way he looks, nore more than I,others, it would be like if I would say someone is to fat,ugly,slow ect. but then again I will not judge this person that said this about Jeffrey K.,they to might not of meant it in the way I thought they did, just like I did not mean what I said in the way you thought I did.

can we be friends now everyone :cry:

Wow. Too many run on sentences. :stuck_out_tongue: That’s a nightmare.

And, if you had read these posts - it’s not necessarily a hate board - I try and level with Dreamworks and don’t necessarily hate it - I simply wish that they would try and put as much effort into their films as other companies do, and not just spew them out. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s just a wish.

And, by the looks of your username, you’re probably a spammer and will be deleted, but only time will tell. :unamused:

Well, I hate Dreamworks. Okay, maybe not hate…Strongly dislike?

And I feel that if I can coherently give relatively valid reasons as to why I don’t like their films, then my opinion is justified. If a company keeps releasing poor material, why should I expect the next film to be amazing?

Anyway, on this board, does it matter if we like Dreamworks or not? Nope, because it’s a Pixar board. Now, if we all started saying how much we hated Pixar, then that would be a different matter.

i’m sorry if you got the wrong idea, but we are not puttng down dreamworks, well, yes, we are, but i’m only doing their rippoffs. don’t critisize us like that. i do not worship john lassiter. i am blown away that you would insult us like that. pretty much what you said in that last passage is that we are jerks and worship pixar, which is not true and i would, and i beleive many others, appriciate it if you kept those feelings to yourself.

whistle that was cold, FONY. that was coooooooolllllllld.

I think HFYVY36835JHV or whatever is only a spammer.